• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Classic cars crushed!!

Its total bullsh!t.

The cars that will get 'crushed' will only be 'crushed' by those who actually turn them in.

People needing cash, people needing to clean up their yards, people in need of space, ect..

I have 2 60's Chevys myself, I will never have them crushed. Id rather see them rot away in my yard(which they'll never do anyways), then see them make into a small cube of twisted metal.

Several years ago in Topeka, KS, I had a 1980 Olds Delta 88. I had just finished installing the engine and had it running. Just waiting to be towed into the muffler shop to have the exhaust installed. Local scrap yard owner towed to his crusher and local PD refused to get involved.

There have been a couple of volunteer vehicle retirement programs running in CA for a while now. There was a huge panic in the collector world when they started out. IIRC, the first was run by Shell. The collector hobbyists came to the conclusion that they really couldn't do much about what people do with their cars and that the junking of a few of the less desirable specimens of any model of car would only increase their value.

When this program was started in CA, you could get a nice 70's Cuda for $1500. Try that now.

The problem isn't that classics will get crushed, it's that middle-aged vehicles that are not classics yet will get crushed.

IE, lots of MJs going under the hammer for an extra $100 trade-in discount

Yah, and won't that will make those that remain "Classics"?

Really, when the 57' Chevy was just an old car, they went to the crusher just like anything else. Model "A"s went into an old field to rot away by the thousands. Up here, the boneyards are full of Cherokees that had some minor problem or other, and the owner wouldn't pay the parking fee to get it out of hock.

No, the reason I don't like the idea of the Government getting involved in scrapping vehicles is that is one step away from mandating that you HAVE to scrap it because it is X number of years old.

Just like Japan. Five years, 100,000km, and they tax it till you squeal. It's a good thing they don't do it here, our driveway would be empty. Talk about artificially stimulating your economy.....

Several years ago in Topeka, KS, I had a 1980 Olds Delta 88. I had just finished installing the engine and had it running. Just waiting to be towed into the muffler shop to have the exhaust installed. Local scrap yard owner towed to his crusher and local PD refused to get involved.

Wait, so he came onto your private property and stole your car? For scrap?

I think there is more to this story.

Wait, so he came onto your private property and stole your car? For scrap?

I think there is more to this story.
It was parked on the parking lot of a friends body shop. We had just got it running, all it needed was an exhaust system installed and insurance & tags. The scrape yard owner had his own roll off tow truck. While driving by with a junk car, he just pulled in while we were out to lunch, loaded on the wheel lift and drove off.

The police did not want to get involved. I had not run the title yet.
I bought the car for $100.00.
That was the last time I tried to put a cheap and nonrunning vehicle back on the road.

Last edited:
It was parked on the parking lot of a friends body shop. We had just got it running, all it needed was an exhaust system installed and insurance & tags. The scrape yard owner had his own roll off tow truck. While driving by with a junk car, he just pulled in while we were out to lunch, loaded on the wheel lift and drove off.

The police did not want to get involved. I had not run the title yet.
I bought the car for $100.00.
That was the last time I tried to put a cheap and nonrunning vehicle back on the road.

Sounds to me like I would have taken the bill of sale (which should have had the vin) to the Sheriff or the chief of police.

you guys will hate me for saying this, but if the bill passes i will seriously have to consider... Getting $4500 for my XJ that is worth about 1500 is a serious deal. I would strip it as much as i can, throw stock wheels back on, then take the trade. It just makes sense economically.

you guys will hate me for saying this, but if the bill passes i will seriously have to consider... Getting $4500 for my XJ that is worth about 1500 is a serious deal. I would strip it as much as i can, throw stock wheels back on, then take the trade. It just makes sense economically.

Then buy another XJ after you buy an economical car! :D

The question I have about this, is it specifically written into the legislation that the cars will be crushed and scrapped? I know the law has passed and been signed by Czar Obama (its a joke before everyone throws things at me), but if the cars turned in under this are sold to junkyards where the parts will still be available to people needing parts, or the cars that are still roadworthy can still stay in the marketstream, then I don't see the huge deal.

But IF the law says the cars MUST be crushed and scrapped, then I am vehemently opposed to it.

It's a voluntary measure. You choose to turn the vehicle in, the gov't isn't forcing anyone.

And in order to get the money, you have to buy a new car.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i_J2CDMBIZhobnHhGIYFCzqvR52wD98NDD900

"The bill would direct dealers to ensure that the older vehicles are crushed or shredded to get the clunkers off the road."

:tear:

Then I retract my previous statement, and Pelosi can go XXXX herself. This is what happens when you elect people with far-left environmentalist connections into the highest powers in the country. We can only hope that the public comes to their senses in 2010 and 2012 and votes these morons out of office.

Most people driving old clunkers do so not because they like it but because even with a $4500 rebate, we can't afford a new car. I mean come on, how long have the domestics had $2-10k rebates trying to get people to buy their cars? I think what will happen will be people who have the money for a new car but not much in trade will go out, buy a $500 POS and drive it in to get their $4500 gov't rebate.

Back