• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clank or Pop while turning??

Check your unit bearings for play.

When I removed my ujoints, the passenger side was toasted - completely rusted inside while the driver side was in good shape.

Man. I don't even know where to begin. Unit bearings? Is that like the Wheel Bearing? There is no play at the tire. I will say that the Passenger side u-joints are dry while the driver's side has old old old gunk all over everything.

Yes, it's like the wheel bearing, but the XJ has a sealed unit.

knuckles-axles-bearings-aug-08-2009.jpg

If the ujoints are bad, I would guess they could clank and pop as well.

Yeh, I know that u-joints. I am wondering if the silver item is the unit bearings.

Yep, the silver hub/bearing assembly is the "unit bearing".

Seems like when I ride the brakes the clank/rattle goes away. Tomorrow after service I am going to dig into the brakes and check for play in the hub assembly. Will let you know.

Ok the brakes and clank sound are two different issues. I solved the clank sound in the front driver's side. The adjustable lower control arm from Ironman was the issue. I had the nut tighted the wrong way and the extra threads (for higher lifts) that were still inside the upper section were bumping the inside of the control arm. I repositioned the adjustment nut, secured it with lock-tite and now it rides quiet again (well, as quiet as a Jeep, that is).

The pop when I first come out of the garage still happens when I apply the brakes. I think this has to do with the rear brakes. Next weekend I will tear into them.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Back