• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chicken Run IV!!

TekkaMaki

NAXJA Member #672
It's that time of year again...time for Earle's Famous 4th Annual Chicken Run!

If you haven't been before, it's a morning full of wheelin' in Smithfield, RI followed by an early all-you-can-eat dinner at Wright's Chicken Farm which is one of the biggest restaurants you'll ever see. For $9.75 ($5.75 for kids) they bring out a family style dinner with bowls of garden salad, fresh rolls, french fries, pasta & sauce and of course, Chicken and it just keeps coming until you just can't eat no more!

The wheeling is good for everyone Stocker to Locker as the main trail is pretty easy and there are obstacles to take off to the sides if you choose. We will be meeting at 9:00 am in Smithfield, hitting the trail at 9:30 and should be off the trail sometime between 1pm - 4pm and then straight to Wright's. I realize this is super-short notice but come on down if you can make it and bring the family too, it's a great time for everyone!

When: Saturday, October 2nd at 9am

Where: Smithfield, RI (PM me for directions and exact location!!)

Why: "It's all about the chicken!"

See ya there!

-Bic

Last edited:
Remind me to kill Earle the next time I see him.

At Mohawk Madness we talked about this, and found we both had piotential conflicts for 2 October so Earle was definitely going to pick some other day. His conflict may have gotten resolved, but mine hasn't ... so I guess I'll miss out on the chicken this time.

Enjoy the run. This is the same trail some of you helped clean up so pay attention to whether or not it has stayed cleaned up. I'm curious.

I'll be en route to Atlanta, so I'll miss this one as well. Someday my schedule will work out and I will make it to an event.

Copperhead

See ya there.

I had a great time. It was good to be on that trail again.
Ate a lot of chicken at the farm, good as always.
Had a close call on the way home. Came down on my exhaust earlier in the day and pushed it up against the floor. 1/2 way home, my eyes are watering and started to smell smoke. The flowmaster had heated the rear floor enough to burn the paint, seam sealer, and the rug was smoldering under my trail spares crate. Pulled the rug up and put it out with water. A few more miles, and I would have big problems. :flame:

Thanks for another great chicken run Earle! :thumbup:

93xjmark said:
Had a close call on the way home. Came down on my exhaust earlier in the day and pushed it up against the floor. 1/2 way home, my eyes are watering and started to smell smoke. The flowmaster had heated the rear floor enough to burn the paint, seam sealer, and the rug was smoldering under my trail spares crate. Pulled the rug up and put it out with water. A few more miles, and I would have big problems. :flame:

The exact same thing happened to one of the XJs at Mohawk Madness.

Glad you caught it in time

Mark that's crazy, glad you caught it in sooner -vs- later! Like Eagle said, we saw the same thing happen last month. I think that because the pre-'97 XJ's don't have a heat shield above the muffler, that they are more prone to it happening. I'm thinking maybe adding the heat shield to earlier XJ's might be a good mod to do early.

Had a great time on the Chicken Run! It was a blast as usual and the chicken was excellent, thanks Earle! :clap:

Eagle I saw VERY LITTLE trash at all! Most of what I did see was recent litter, I picked up a few beer cans and an empty pint of motor oil. I didn't look too far off the trail but I didn't see any larger items like tires or stuff. Someone did hang brightly colored blue & pink "Wetlands Delineation" markers all over. mostly at the beginning of the trail on both sides, supposedly to keep people on the trail I guess. I thought it was kinda kooky and all the multi-colored ribbons spoiled the natural beauty of the trail ride at first, but I guess they either ran out of energy or ribbon because after 100 yards they disappeared. :gag:

Here's my pics Here!

-Bic

Thanks Mike! sorry you couldn't make it, Steve couldn't make it either so it wasn't really the same. I think the only breakage was a replaced water pump on a TJ but that took place at the meeting spot before the trail so I guess that doesn't count :laugh3: oh and I blew a bead but got that back in comission with a Hi-Lift and CO2 in short order .

What happened to your trail rig?? I saw your post that says 'trail rig OOC' but there must be a technical glitch with it because I don't see any text and can't reply to it either...

-Bic

93xjmark said:

Glad ya didnt burn up, join the club though, its an awful common problem, flowmasters get real hot.(Torched my carpet a year ago the same way ) newer xj's have a heat shield there like the zj's/wj's always had/have

Back