• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee crawl rules

2offroad said:
"if it's not busy'
Sorry couldn't resist....but when you make it the first turn in the trail(before the real bad stuff) it's gonna get real busy for anyone else coming behind you, there is no go around for any of it....but again, I plan on running it one of the first days, probably around 6 or so in the afternoon, your welcome to join me...worst that can happen is we'll winch ya most of the way...

Yes TN thats fine if he wants to bring it and can pas safty inspection...For more info on that check out the by-laws and the section on Required equiptment...

strokedwoody said:
Sorry couldn't resist
no problem, thats kind of what i was thinking maybe weds or thurs, but Mary A wants to later so will see when and how. the ramps are on the way.

so my lack of ummm inches will not be a detriment to forward movement.

greg you still got that cage man?

no joke. have you seen the Dakar rally or the Camel Trophy?

Last edited:
2offroad said:

haha now this will be interesting.

i hope you bring your rain coat, i have a feeling there's gonna be all kinds of sh!t tossed in your direction.

Pat

i have hip boots and a poncho. toss on.

Ok then what about me? :wave: 33x12.50 lock-rights front and rear. I'd love to try in the dry but I don't think my rig is up for it! Oh yea it had the turd rear too! LOL! :explosion :cheers:

2offroad said:

no I havn't, but I have done lower 2 about a dozen times. Even if it's as dry as a popcorn fart, your not gonna make it through with a stock XJ. I doubt you could even drag it through with a winch.

Have you done the rock garden at the bottom of Slickrock? It has about 2-3 hard spots; while lower 2 has about 6-7. So if you've done the bottom of slickrock, figure about three times as long to do lower 2.

cccj said:
no I havn't, but I have done lower 2 about a dozen times. Even if it's as dry as a popcorn fart, your not gonna make it through with a stock XJ. I doubt you could even drag it through with a winch.

Have you done the rock garden at the bottom of Slickrock? It has about 2-3 hard spots; while lower 2 has about 6-7. So if you've done the bottom of slickrock, figure about three times as long to do lower 2.

Sorry man, I reread and I don't want to be a dick. I'm going to try and be there that weekend. If you want to give it try, I am all for people willing to push the limits.

That's not to say I/we didn't forewarn you of some of the others actions. :dunno:

roXJeepr said:
Hey Mark...got 2 questions for ya.
1. Why?
2. Is ya crazy??
:laugh:
1. try and push the limits of my Jeep.
2. YES

like i have said all along "if it's not busy", i'm not going to try if many people are going to run it.

cccj said:
gotta agree with this. Stacking rocks is bad enough, but ramps?

Wait a minute, are you serious? I'm thinking this is a joke. :confused1

I do not understand the logic here. Maybe I just don't get this rock crawling thing but last time I checked these "ramps" for lack of a better term were devised and widely used durring WWII to move through Africa. I thougt the point was to run the trails. Where is it written that you have to run it without getting out the vehical? Hell I watched One Ton, Fore Wheeler, Carpenter, and the EROCC buggy run it last year and they all either winched or stacked rocks on Lower 2. So why are the "ramps" so bad? Actually they had another name but some call them "sand ladders" By the way Mark they are not desighned to hold the vehical over large holes! But I'm sure you knew that!

Ghost said:
I do not understand the logic here. Maybe I just don't get this rock crawling thing but last time I checked these "ramps" for lack of a better term were devised and widely used durring WWII to move through Africa. I thougt the point was to run the trails. Where is it written that you have to run it without getting out the vehical? Hell I watched One Ton, Fore Wheeler, Carpenter, and the EROCC buggy run it last year and they all either winched or stacked rocks on Lower 2. So why are the "ramps" so bad? Actually they had another name but some call them "sand ladders" By the way Mark they are not desighned to hold the vehical over large holes! But I'm sure you knew that!

In one sense using ramps on lower 2 is a better solution than stacking rocks. The ramps are removable and therefore you don't create a highway for others behind you.

With that said, by using an artificial traction surface you are removing the challenge of rockcrawling in the first place.

I believe that rockcrawling is driving my vehicle over the rocks. I may be assisted by a spotter, who may happen to stack a few more rocks(to a limit) for me to drive over. If it requires more assistance than this, then it is no longer rockcrawling, but vehicle extraction to clear the trail.

With this theory, you are saying that you are planning a vehicle extraction for the challenge.

cccj said:
With that said, by using an artificial traction surface you are removing the challenge of rockcrawling in the first place.

I believe that rockcrawling is driving my vehicle over the rocks.

not with 3" lift and 30's and open on both ends.

i'm not into rockcrawling, i'm into the expedition mind set, any road, any trail, any where, any time, any distance.

just to keep the thread alive.

Back