• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee chop any sugestions on filling in the back

I used the rag top approach. I am currently working on a cage that will cause me to do a few modifications, but should eliminate the need for a tire in the back to keep water from collecting haha. Its a work in progress...

Jeep5.jpg

badazzcherokee3 said:
I was really thinking about back halfing mine and throwing the mj cab on the rear but I think I would have more fun with it off. I am not trying to high jack the thread or anything like that but want to get some more pics rolling for everyone. So how do you people who leave the back open cap the ends and support the roof.
craigslist027.jpg
The more info people put on the thread the better for all of us, Dont worry about hyjackin the thread.

I drilled out the roof support of the section i cut off the back to support the roof where the center arrow is. I was also thinking about taking the rear piller from the back hatch jam area and around to the roof and patching it into the cut area, that would leave about 5-6 inches of extra room for the back window like the green cherokee earlier in the thread.:compwork:

glad to see, some else got brave, and chopped it, i guess im not alone no more, my wifey made the mistake, saying, do what ever you like to the old grocery getter, it was a winter project last year, came out awsome, 6in lift, chopped, sittin on 33s, offroad in the summer, to get to the best fishin holes, plow truck in the winter, and still is a DD every day with 280000 m. oh you did a great job on your, and it looks like we think alike some, wife thinks im still nuts, but she loves offroading in it too.
http://jeeperz.tenmagazines.com/ew/m...496&album=7488
sorry cant post pics , not enough post yet, but heres a link, back hatch still works, and removable fiber-glass tunnel cover, fiberglass is some nasty shit though !

I may not chop the ENTIRE roof off my 2dr, but I thought what I saw in the May issue of JP Magazine was kinda interesting.....(also, as mentioned in other posts, this mag doesn't cover enough XJ's....)

They used an aftermarket rag top sunroof.....See page 38.

Here is the one they used....

Streetbeat Customs (I had to find the PN on the website...www.streetbeatcustoms.com)
There are two listed on the site in the 3'x6' range, I am not sure which one they used for the Magazine so here are both numbers....

P/N's Y000_RAG4070CANVAS-2N
and Y000_RAG3570CANVAS-FN

Seeming as the XJ roof is flat, I would go with the first number listed...(they also make a ragtop for the S-10 blazer, which might work for the XJ's as well....)

They also used frame stiffeners from TNT customs to beef up the frame (or Uni-body)....(www.tntcustoms.com)

i chopped my four door. i left a little extra roof so it will cover the people in the rear seat. moved the gas tank up and built a box for it . the rear will be two storage compartments . looking for a rear slider window . but i might just cut up my old tj soft top and have it made into a rear cover . i would love to be able to sleep in the back on longer adventures.

Not to Hi-Jack this post, but what is the advantage to doing this? IMO I wouldn't do this, seem like it would make the XJ body weaker than it already is. The only two that seem to look like they are in an improvment are Vetteboys and Mcraindogs, I pretty sure these rigs are not DD's. I just woundered why I see a lot of posts about this.

Last edited:
well first that is not my rig...those pictures that i posted are just ones that i have found, like, and have saved. and i mean i guess there are no real advantages to this, but then there are no downsides either (as long as you strengthen everything back up). Just something different and some fun fabing to do

mcraindog said:
well first that is not my rig...those pictures that i posted are just ones that i have found, like, and have saved. and i mean i guess there are no real advantages to this, but then there are no downsides either (as long as you strengthen everything back up). Just something different and some fun fabing to do

I bet you wish it was your rig!! I wish it was my rig, thats fo sho :) Being different than every one else makes sense to me. Thank for the info.

yea no problem...yea i wish i had that white one with the rear glass that looks like its rhino lined around it...that thing is sooo clean! just a damn good looking xj

Back