• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee budget turbo build thread

so 30 ish more hp?

kinda figured more.

oh well sweet deal that it works :D

I would've expected more tq than that from a turbo. I'm sure some ax15 4.0s put close to 200 at the wheels.

Yeah, the AW4 is a slushbox, like 30% loss through the drivetrain with those things. On the up shot, they don't give up without a serious fight. Still wish I'd gone with a 2001 with the NV3550 but, hell - I didn't know I'd feel that way at the time...
225 at the wheels with the automatic is good stuff. Nice work.

Very close if you're liberal with only a 15% loss of 240lb-ft--that being stock(only ~190lb-ft if you want to use the conservative 20% loss). Throw in all the intake and exhaust mods and I guarantee an ax15 4.0 will put more than 200lb-ft to the wheels.

new here, working on getting everything posted. but last year i dynoed my 90 xj with just intake and exhaust and it put a wimpy 142hp and 228 ftlbs to the wheels. after i instaled my turbo kit it put down 212 hp and 278 ftlbs to the wheels. and this was using the 220000 miles stock aw4. granted after a couple of months hammering on it it started to slip and act up but still.

new here, working on getting everything posted. but last year i dynoed my 90 xj with just intake and exhaust and it put a wimpy 142hp and 228 ftlbs to the wheels. after i instaled my turbo kit it put down 212 hp and 278 ftlbs to the wheels. and this was using the 220000 miles stock aw4. granted after a couple of months hammering on it it started to slip and act up but still.

Post more on your build. Fuel management especially

well i had a 90 xj with the wonderful renix system on it. put a newer 4.0 in it from a 98 wrangler. the turbo was a 60-1 t4 with a 1.15 a/r on the exhaust. non intercooled setup on 5psi. umm as far as fuel management, new stock pump. injectors from a 5.9l dodge ram. and a vortech fmu with a 12:1 ratio. thats it. the stock map sensor didn't read boost but it did hold at 5 volts when it saw boost. ran it on 94 octane fuel. the thing ran great. let me if i can find some pictures of the setup. it did run 15.4 in the quarter with 32 in all-terrains.

here are a few pictures of the first build. it worked ok until i smashed the up pipe 4-wheelin. so the i remade the header and up pipe so that the turbo sat on the driver side where the airbox is.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

just a quick pic of the jeep

IMG_0700.jpg

turbo looks like fun. My 89 jeep with 87 5.7 l98 corvette motor put down 200hp and 300ftlbs of torque. Turn up the boost a lil more and you got v8 power.

very cool :yelclap:. Any pics with the turbo in the new location? Did you use the stock exhaust manifold and a u-bend up to the turbine?

About how much do you think you spent on the whole thing?

Back