• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap, portable, CB solution

Rough 01

NAXJA Forum User
All,
I wanted a CB solution to use on the trail. It had to be cheap, provide enough range to for trail use of up to 10 vehicles spread out, and be portable.

I spent less than $45 and have a working system. I bought the cheapest CB from Walmart ($35) and then picked up their magnet mount antenna ($10). I then spliced a 12v cigaret lighter adapter into the power cable for the CB unit.

So now I have a fully portable CB for the trail and it only cost $45. I just wanted to share for those of you who might be interested.

Later,
Rough

was it a simple wire job ie power adn ground, or was there more to it.

Very simple. pos to pos and neg to neg. I was a little upset that my portable soldering iron was out of butane and all the stores were closed. So I performed my soldering with my map gas bottle torch. It went together pretty easily.

The only thing that I won't have is the ability to save settings. Which isn't bad considering the only "feature" on this was to save the last channel used.

Later,
Rough

Rough 01 said:
All,
I wanted a CB solution to use on the trail. It had to be cheap, provide enough range to for trail use of up to 10 vehicles spread out, and be portable.

I spent less than $45 and have a working system. I bought the cheapest CB from Walmart ($35) and then picked up their magnet mount antenna ($10). I then spliced a 12v cigaret lighter adapter into the power cable for the CB unit.

So now I have a fully portable CB for the trail and it only cost $45. I just wanted to share for those of you who might be interested.

Later,
Rough
You do realize, of course, that you put 13 hard working moms and pops out of business when you bought that, right?

I bought the same setup.

But I found that the magnet mount was crap. So I mounted one permanently and there is a world of difference.

Okie Terry said:
You do realize, of course, that you put 13 hard working moms and pops out of business when you bought that, right?
hells yeah. makes me want to go to wal-mart now.

i wish i knew that i could have done that before i ran those wires for my cb.

But I found that the magnet mount was crap. So I mounted one permanently and there is a world of difference.

I originally had a magnetic mount antenna to. And it was absolute crap. It would litterally bounce off of the top of my Jeep on some trails. But I found a simple way to keep it on was to put it right next to my roof rack.and either tie it to the rack or zip tie it to the rack.

Back