• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Ball Joints?

I would not use anything but OEM (Dana / Spicer) or Moog ball joints. The Moog ball joints for the Dana 30 are too pricey for me. The Spicer part number for a set of upper and lower ball joints (one side) is 706944X. When I replaced mine 2 months ago, the Spicer joints were backordered at the manufacturer, so I had to find a dealer with stock on the shelf. I bought mine here:
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8050128-dana-30-spicer-balljoints-xj-tj-zj.html
for $48 a side. Wherever you buy them, I suggest to call first to make sure they are in stock.

The question that should be answered before you ask that is... How many times do you want to do or pay for ball joints to be replaced?
If you say least as possible then use the best parts available.

Be careful. A lifetime warranty rarely means a good part. How many times do you want to spend your time to exercise that lifetime warranty? It took me 3 "free" alternators before I learned that lesson with AZ electrical parts. After they told me how lucky I was that the third one had failed under the lifetime warrranty and that it would be free, I told them to keep it. I went to NAPA and got the one that has been running for the past 6 years. Alternators are much faster and easier to replace than ball joints. Don't go cheap, it will most likely bite you in the ass.

I got spicers from Teamgrandwagoneer.com, for like $99 i think. Compared side by side with NAPA premiums, the NAPA was MUCH beefier and heavier, i was suprised.

I'm pretty sure Spicer stopped making them a while ago and now they're relabeled Raybestos. I'm sure they're still good, but not oem anymore.

Be aware that many parts manufacturers, have two lines of parts, including Napa. Always op for the premium parts and stay away from the service line unless you like Chinese junk.
That said, I like the Spicer and premium Napa ball joints. Moog's quality isn't what it once was.
Ball joints are a PIA to change so do it once and do it right.

I am in the process of putting new ball joints in my 2000. I bought O'Reilly's house brand "Master Pro" and to be honest, they are pretty beefy compared to stock. I have not yet installed them, but I will repost tonight or tomorrow (or whenever I get a chance to finish it).

I actually got one Moog joint, the rest MasterPro...they were out of one of my uppers in the house brand, so they gave me the Moog for $25! The MasterPro joints are beefier than the Moog, too, and they even use a larger castle nut (1 1/4 vs. 1 1/8 stock). There is no play in them at all.

I'm not saying these are as good as stock, or as good as Moog (which many people don't seem to like anymore, anyway). I'm just giving my own observation that based only on appearance, these ones seem to be great. Only time will tell.

Oh yeah, and I paid almost exactly $100 for the set. Might still be cheap Chinese stuff, I don't know.

I have also heard great things about XRF chassis products ball joints. You can price and order them at www.thetireclub.com, they are close to $120 for the set, but they have free shipping. I don't know if anyone here has used them, but they may be worth reading about and considering. I was just too lazy to wait and I needed my Jeep done by this weekend for a trip.

I would not use anything but OEM (Dana / Spicer) or Moog ball joints. The Moog ball joints for the Dana 30 are too pricey for me. The Spicer part number for a set of upper and lower ball joints (one side) is 706944X..

x2. Napa usually pretty good, tell them you want "domestic" (made in USA) parts.
(their "non heavy duty" (aka greaseable) u-joints are made by federal mogul, as are a lot of their parts. Heavy duty u-joints are solid, so they can take more power. I wouldn't use them on a Jeep as you can't purge mud/water from them with a few pumps of a grease gun.)

Back