• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Question

Good find--I like the low, seamless profile and you can't beat $43(hopefully shipping is reasonable).

Gets even cheaper if you go 2.5" at $37. I went APN header, stock downpipe, and 2.5 through the rest of system. Bookmarked for "just in case."

Steve

UPS dropped off my cat today. This thing is small. I love the compact design and looks like it will work out perfect.
1015091720-00.jpg

1015091720-01.jpg

Im looking to redo my exhaust soon and have been searching for what to run for a cat. Keep us updated on that little jewel.

Bill

Im looking to redo my exhaust soon and have been searching for what to run for a cat. Keep us updated on that little jewel.

Bill

Does anyone know if I will hear any difference in my exhaust? Not really why I am doing it but I would love a little extra sound to my exhaust.
I hope to feel some better throttle response, but I guess we will have to see what happens.

Got it welded up today along with a new o2 sensor. For anyone who says that installing a high flow cat over an oem cat doesn't improve the sound of the exhaust is crazy. I had 3 people today ask me if I got a new exhaust because it was alot louder.
Right now, I'm loving it. No weird smells, no CE light, better sound, all is good!
I will post a before and after clip tomorrow.

I installed a (controversially large) high-flow Magnaflow cat on my 97 XJ and simply welded an O2 bung downstream between the cat and the muffler. Great sound, definitely more power, passes smog test, and no codes. Honestly, "cleaner air" was dead last of my concerns.

sounds good. i have a 97 and the cat was glowing red. thot maybe it was plugged up so i gutted it. didnt end up being the problem and i havent replaced it but have thot it would be a good idea to do so. might order one like yours. my o2 is downstream so i expected some codes but never had any.

i still have the cat on it with the o2 in it but like i said i gutted the cat and no codes. did pull wires out of o2 one time and CE light came on tho.

i still have the cat on it with the o2 in it but like i said i gutted the cat and no codes. did pull wires out of o2 one time and CE light came on tho.

Cool that would explain it. The PO decided to straight pipe the cat & remove the rear 02. If that's all it takes, I'll just use the rear 02 from my parts jeep.

Did you notice any difference in sound when you gutted your cat? I'm not advocating doing anything illegal, I'm just curious.

not as loud as i was expecting it to be after i gutted the cat. have an old flowmaster muf on it now but thinking about replaceing it and doing away with the empty cat and just putting a piece of pipe in its place with a bung for th o2.

October 2008 after doing the NAXJA Fall Fling Moab event I found that my muffler inlet and outlet ends were cracked more than 50% around where the pipe penetrates the muffler, the muffler was flattened to 70% of its original thickness and the catalytic converter was rattling loudly.....
Had a new exhaust installed... the exhaust tip would located so that it wont be damaged when dropping off ledges, and the muffler and cat were mounted for better ground clearance and the pipe between the header and cat was replaced without the factory driveshaft dimple.
The muffler is a Dynomax Hemi Turbo and the cat is a 2.5" Magnaflow OBDII hi flow.
The exhaust is now 2.25" all the way and just recently replaced the Gale Banks header due to exhaust leaks caused by cracks in the collector welds.
The header was redisgned in 2008 due to numerous headers being returned for the same problem....
Recently had a California SMOG check done and the 1998 Jeep passed with flying colors with 105K on the odometer.

The newly designed Banks header does not have a flex connection and I didnt have one installed in the exhaust system...
The crack that the original Banks header had was a small one after more than 6 years.....

Back