• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Converter

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
Cheapest place to get one. Should I get one of the Mangnaflow/car sound direct fits? Or A universal 2.5 in/out, and have an exhaust shop weld the flange on?

Mine came to me with a Midas "football." Smallest converter I ever saw.

Aside from cost, flow, and size, installation is the other expense. I've taken the notion that doing your own exhaust work is like cutting your own hair. At least the results are less noticeable.

Having a shop bend, weld, and attach flanges by competent, experienced people in less time than you can go out and buy the parts is a plus. They can swedge the pipes to fit, and get you running in a matter of literally minutes. One mismatched pipe can leave you running around town to buy an adapter or rent the tool for hours.

Cost the entire job and all the parts accurately and you might be surprised letting a shop do the work is actually cheaper. I've had to clean up the sales counter more than once as a customer "estimated" the actual cost of doing it himself - and found it not worth his effort.

I got my last one off of ebay. Bought a high flow 2.5" magnaflow model. Dont know if its better than any of the no name brands, but it was pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

magnaflow direct fit from jegs or summit ( cant remember which) cost me around 100-125 bux iirc. cant beat direct fit.
I hate tryin to reverse engineer stuff to work on something. maybe if I had access to a welder it might be different.

ive done it both ways on my 89, universal and then direct fit, and with the direct fit you dont have to modify the down pipe.

if your going to weld the flange on anyway, just pick which one will be cheaper if thats your concern

I ran a Random Technologies hi-flow cat for over 100,000 miles on my 94, and after it failed an exhaust check outside of Chicago, just put on a cheap over-the-counter replacement. It passed the exhaust check, and I couldn't tell the performance difference on the butt dyno.

Buy what's cheapest for you.

Johnny: I don't know where you are in Califailia but I am in OC and I have a brand new Catco universal 2 1/2" for $40 if you are interested.
Rockjock: I get the O2 sensors from the dealer. They are $75 but I have had problems with cheap ones.

Back