• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carnage award?

So Mark, what are you going to weld to it?

I've got my front 30 Alloy USA short side going on it and I've got my rear Superior 44 Alloy piece of shaft plus I have Dave's short side 30 shaft that the u-joint made fine work of. So, I will add two 30 short side shafts plus a piece of a 44 shaft.

Good fun!!!!!

I've got my front 30 Alloy USA short side going on it and I've got my rear Superior 44 Alloy piece of shaft plus I have Dave's short side 30 shaft that the u-joint made fine work of. So, I will add two 30 short side shafts plus a piece of a 44 shaft.

Good fun!!!!!
Nice!

heard you had quite a bit of carnage after tearing into the axles mark...

do tell!

Why yes I did. :eek:

When the rear 44 broke, it more like shattered into a bunch of big flakes. :fuse:The bearing on the carrier looks busted into several pieces and it looks like the carrier itself has "egged" out and now I can't even get the stupid carrier out. :gee::gee:

Rest assured though, it will be fixed and hopefully ready shortly for another romp though the woods.:looney:

It's all good!!!!

Well, maybe a 9".

come on now ghost... you arent going to break a 9" with 5.13s spooled and 35 splined shafts! on 35s!

IM000510.jpg

IM000515.jpg

come on now ghost... you arent going to break a 9" with 5.13s spooled and 35 splined shafts! on 35s!

IM000510.jpg

IM000515.jpg

Well it can happen. No one said anything about spools and 35 spline shafts.

The alloys I'm running are standard splines. I will probably end up with a spool in the rear though.

Looks like the 9" is pretty beefy!! What is the spline count on the 9"? Wouldn't it be stronger than the 44?

The alloys I'm running are standard splines. I will probably end up with a spool in the rear though.

Looks like the 9" is pretty beefy!! What is the spline count on the 9"? Wouldn't it be stronger than the 44?

Nope not by much and the pinion is way lower. I think the 9" has 31 spline shafts. You should have 30 IIRC. No a whole lot of difference for the loss in pinion height. IMHO you need to run a 33 spline shaft of a shaved D60 with 35 splines if you are breaking a D44 with 35's, or was it 32,s?

I'll probably go with 33 spline shafts in the 44 with a spool.

Yea, 32's that's the size!!

I'll probably go with 33 spline shafts in the 44 with a spool.

Yea, 32's that's the size!!
In all honesty I would try that b4 going to a 9" or a D60. Unless you get a tru hi 9. But that is some serious $$$$$$. I'd be intrested in the shaft size of the chromo D44's versus the 9" shaft though. You can build the 9" to 35 splines but you still loose 2" of pinion height.

yeah that is the biggest problem with the 9" is the low pinion.

IMHO i would upgrade shafts and spool it.

IMHO i would upgrade shafts and spool it.

...he already has alloys!
and has broken them on each of the last trips i've wheeled with him :gee:

Back