• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canoes on Jeeps...pin 'em up here

Loaded and ready to go on vacation:
DSCN0424.jpg

At the lake:
DSCN0430.jpg

just sold the rig, but what the heck:
4thcamping003.jpg

horrible cell phone pics
Folsom Lake
28301_1210516762787_1824794664_401856_5741198_n.jpg

American River
28301_1210516922791_1824794664_401859_4978293_n.jpg

Last edited:
CRW_9010.jpg

Just picked up a new (to me) boat. Pyranha Attak.

I use the commander to haul our kayaks. The hemi never knows they are up there.

I have racks on 3 of the 4 XJ's and we use them occasionally but i prefer the XK

0528120922.jpg

0528120923.jpg

How much trouble is it to self-load a canoe?

Also about how much you paying for them?

Depends on the canoe, if you get a Old Town Royalex its only going to weigh about 40# in the 14' size. My Mad river Triple Tuff 14' weighed about 65# and cost me around $500 new.

I will never own another canoe, I have 4 sit-on top Kayaks and one sit in kayak. They are much more enjoyable, easier to load after a long day on the water and are more stable and maneuverable. The SOT's will stay floating even if you do go over, just flip it up-right in the water and slide back on to continue your trip. A canoe or a sit in kayak will require that you push the boat onto a sand bar or shore and dump the water out if you go over, a real PITA, water is heavy!

Okay, another question for the bigger boat crowd.

Those of you with canoes in the 15' - 16' range; have you noticed issues hauling them? Particularly with that much overhang are you having flex issues at highway speed? In a lot of the photos of bigger boats it seems that the front is dipped down pretty far, is it as annoying as it appears or just a trick of the photo? If I do buy and haul one I'd likely make mounts that keep the bow up a bit higher to combat that.

Seems like you'd cause a shit load more wind drag with the bow higher... My Tandem kayak hangs way off the front like that (Not as bad as a canoe) but it's not bad on the vision at all.

Seems like you'd cause a shit load more wind drag with the bow higher... My Tandem kayak hangs way off the front like that (Not as bad as a canoe) but it's not bad on the vision at all.

I wouldn't run it bow-high (creating a wind envelope), I'd end up with both ends a little higher. This is mostly moot for now, I can't quite justify the funds to buy one now, need to be able to defend the purchase and all. :gag:

Back