• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying/Installing Reman. Engine

PaulJ said:
But of course, the Honda is front wheel drive. The XJ will be a breeze in comparison.

Don't kid yourself. Ain't no thing as a breeze when most people probably don't even have a way to haul the new/old engine around. Nevermind a hoist, clean level place to work. Ample tools, wood blocks, chain and hardware. Good light, enough knowledge/experience to deal with unexpected problems, etc.

I'm all for doing it yourself but be realistic about your capabilities or you can wind-up with a crap jop and/or paying someone to make it right in the end.

Well, I have decided to have someone else do it...the preferred installer. When I added up the rental of a hoist & stand for several days, and space, hassles, help from in-laws, etc. I think $1000 isn't too bad.

Now if it were a used....I might try it. But basically a brand new engine in the hands of a moderate amature and an older, grumpy expert (father-in-law), that could be bad!!! :)

Thanks for all the posts. You guys rock!

Glad you have chosen a path... it's likely the wisest way (especially with warranty considerations if the reman engine takes an early leave.) to pay someone to slip it in who will eat the labor if a reinstall is needed.

My swap took 4.5 days (counting a day to rent a van & drive 500 miles to pick up the motor.) My working conditions were crude & unpleasant, at times quite unsafe. OTOH I had apprx. $700 in the motor, $200 in the van/fuel, and $150 in misc tools, oil & a gasket set, so my swap was 'frugal,'

Consider the periphials too... There is no more convenient time to replace wear-out items like the crank balancer pulley, flexplate/bolts, motor mounts, and addressing cooling issues (if any) with a water-pump-radiator-hoses-tstat. It adds to the overall cost, but it's better to do it while it's going back together than to tear back in sooner or later.

Back