• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper fab

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
working on designing a bumper for my chassis fab class at WyoTech and this is what i got so far. all 1/4" flat stock allboxed together with the usually frame tie-ins and such. i planned on a winch (milemarker 8k or 9k) and have 6" from front of the grill to bumper edge, that deep enough?? also gunna add d-ring mounts and a stinger that'll meet 10"-12" outward and 3"-4" above the front of the body.

6394b3k.jpg

5zeq238.jpg

6886tme.jpg

53icls8.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest incorperating an angle into your design to improve the appoach angle.

Dude, just fab up a winch out of 2 litre bottles and yarn and hit the trail........

Thar bumper is going to fold like a taco when you get stuck and attempt recovery

I like the bumpers that are slanted at the bottom for clearance. It also stiffens it up a bit. I also like them a bit thinner on the sides, but this is all personal preference. Mocking it up with cardboard is a good design tool. I tend to splurge and use foam core poster board. since you can cut through one side and then bend it.

Remember the bumper is only as good as the mounts and the structure. Take the side pieces back and tie them into the frame alot. Use the drivers side as part of a steering box brace as well. Put some angle braces inside to help spread the winch load to the other members, but I'm sure you have though about these things anyway.

I look forward to seeing it when you get done.

I was thinking maybe just cover that cardboard with a lot of fiberglass cloth and resin... Sturdy... Rugged good looks. Who needs metal?

Couple more ideas for you. Underneath is angled for more clearance. The mud "highlights" this in the first picture. However, you can't jack on the bumper if it's slanted, and that's something to consider. I have to use the D-rings if I need to put a Hi-Lift under the front.

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

Back