• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread White '99

Hmm, looks,like my name is no longer red. I guess I better fix that.

Been busy this last week, fixing a couple things on the Jeep that I've been putting off for awhile.

For some time now, my steering had developed a wobble or Oscillation during moderate to tight turns. Super Annoying. I read a bunch of what it could be and almost everyone said it was the front Axle U-joints. Sure enough, Both U-joints were seized solid. I've never seen a u-joint fail in such a way, but nevertheless its fixed now and good to go.

The next thing on the list of crap to do to the jeep was shackle relocators from HD offroad.

My shackle angle was, well, nonexistent to say the least. The back end was very bumpy and would jar your insides out going over bumps in the road. I ordered the Bolt in version of the relocators, I didn't really want to gain any height, but, I really didn't want to cut the stock box out, Since the only cutting tool I have is a Angle grinder.

Im glad I used anti-seize on my leaf spring bolts, they came right out which saved me boat loads of time and anger.

As you can see, my shackle was bottoming out on the stock box, and had bent it slightly.

Installed the Anti Crush sleeve, and the mounting bracket in the stock box. I installed it over my skid and hitch, just for ease of installation. If I ever have to pull the tank skid or hitch, I'll reinstall them under the hitch.

(sorry for the large pictures, photo bucket is not letting me resize my pictures for some reason.)

If you noticed, I only have two bolts on the bracket, the third (middle) hole is nonexistent.

Ready to Install the shackles and tune my angle.

Took a Little bit to figure out where I wanted my jeep to sit, as well as my shackle angle. But I finally got it figured out. I gained about 3/4-1" which wasn't bad since my rear was slightly lower, now its slightly higher, But I think it looks good. Not to mention the ride is much better and the handling is much more predictable.

Here's a before and after.

(obviously the before was taken awhile ago....)

Getting ready for our Road trip back to Utah. By the end of this month, my jeep will once again be in the Intermountain Chapter. :D Defiantly Planning on hitting up some trails while we're out there.

I also fixed the chipping paint on my rear hatch from last winters wheeling trip. I used Duplicolor's Stone white paint kit form NAPA. I sanded down the edges of the chipping paint, then painted. After a couple days I went back and wet sanded with some 1000 grit to get it smooth, then coated with some clear coat. the color doesn't match perfect, as my paint has faded, however, it looks ok and shouldn't rust. Which was my main goal.

I also scored a nice RAM mount for my iPad, which should come in handy for the 2,300 mile road trip across country.

It's missing two of the grips, but thats why I was able to get it. I made some new ones with some heat shrink and it works well.

Almost ready for our trip across the country. I've been tinkering with the jeep to get it suited up for the 2400 mile journey.

Today I installed some Ancra cargo tie downs in the cargo area. These are aviation grade tie downs and well built. The clips have a low profile base and a quick removable clip with a ring on it. I used two counter sunk 10-32 screws with rivnuts to anchor them to the jeep. Not sure what the load rating is on these tie downs, but I would assume they are rated for several hundred pounds, these are the same cargo clips most airplanes use. Mine aren't nessisarily going to be used to hold anything big, mostly just cooler and camping equip.

02f477d9424422fc73cb391881b096e7_zpsuppzvkxr.jpg

31f00abf18c9bea2dd10dbeb4b1077b3_zpscugnw3uc.jpg

I added 4 all together, one on each wheel well and one on either side of the hatch door jam.

a6af3c3ef8fb3c99d44989724cf398b0_zpsc8eqelzw.jpg

0ea36c75cbf73ded67fae7a6e324d7e2_zpstpj8x3pi.jpg

45cfbc9f8fb8e9d5100f29d28e3ebd78_zpsyjdo7kf6.jpg

2db6beabf76f2f29318875f42103ae5d_zpsv6m9b2rj.jpg

2881dfb0c0ca3f704b0fac65d99bebc7_zpsbrtmo0oe.jpg

These turned out good, should keep the camping gear from sliding around in the back, and when not in use I can remove the clip and store them under the rear bench.

cc862fc18dee2059c00574312acea3a4_zpsjgqc1vzl.jpg

ah heck yeah, good idea. I hate when my tools and crap slide around in the back, the factory loops on the floor just don't cut it.

That was my issue. The factory floor mounts are flimsy. Plus trying to secure a cooler with floor tie downs is hard with out strapping over the lid, which kinda sucks. I really like these, they're kinda pricey, but worth it.

Let us know how they work. Might be an addition to my MJ bed someday.

Let us know how they work. Might be an addition to my MJ bed someday.

Will do, :patriot:

they would make a great addition to a truck bed. I believe they make rails that allow multiple points to put the clips.

I would like to have a cargo net made that would attach to all four corners.

Last edited:
Just an update on the cargo tie downs. I'm very happy with these, on the wheeling trip back in June, I was able to secure the cooler and some RC cars and supplies, kept the. From being mashed and sliding around everywhere. I recommend them to anyone that wants a better cargo tie down.

02a6397301c74b249af02bbdf1ae1e7a_zpsrpkkyjfx.jpg

69cbc81e11102729f3669481dbe51b9f_zps25wdjgec.jpg

My brother has been driving the jeep for the past month and has gone camping several times, he has used them, and likes them much better than the tie downs on the floor as well.

The best way to keep your jeep from Rustin or rotting in the NE is not not drive it during the winter. They use liquid magnesium which total rots metal on contact. If you love a vehicle don't drive it durning the winter, especially if it wasn't designed for this new stuff they put on the roads in the NE.

The best way to keep your jeep from Rustin or rotting in the NE is not not drive it during the winter. They use liquid magnesium which total rots metal on contact. If you love a vehicle don't drive it durning the winter, especially if it wasn't designed for this new stuff they put on the roads in the NE.

I found this out only being here for one winter. my exhaust litterally rusted to nothing this last year. That crap is terrible. But now the jeep is back in Utah so no worries now haha. My daily here in the northeast is a 09 mazda 3, which seems to hold up a little better, I just wash it regularly to keep that magnesium off the suspension and under body.

Did you ever get the on board air working?

unfortunatly, no..... It never really took off, a lot of time needed to be spent fabbing and what not and I ended up moving across the country so I didnt have the resources to complete it.

However, Its still something I really want to have on the jeep, and I will get to it someday. Hopefully, in the next 8-10 months, ill be moving back to Utah, or somewhere close. When that happens i have several projects on the jeep that will need to happen.

There's a good reason why 98% of the new vehicles have plastic lined or plastic wheel wells. Not much else will hold up. My Honda gets washed as much as possible and I stay home during the winter when the roads are bad, I also try and stay off the highways ect.

Back