• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken 4,0 engine mount

Kroil is pretty much the best off the shelf penetrating oil you can get your hands on I believe. good stuff

Yep I had the same thing happen to my 96. Well I bought it that way off of CL about a year and a half ago. Kid thought that the AX-15 (2wd) took a dump, cause he could only shift to 1/2.

Well I have 2 out of 3 bolts replaced with Grade 5 bolts. The top right bolt is not installed due to not able to remove the old bolt. So for the last 1.5 yrs. all is well.

I went to a bolt and nut place and bought three allen wrench bolts that are stronger than grade 8. Next time I have to do any work on my XJ, I'll replace them with the stronger bolts. After I read previous posts where the bolts broke again after replacement, I am convinced that grade 8 is not strong enough for the job. I bought the grade 8s I used at Home Depot, I don't know who made them and if they meet specifications. Once, I compared grade 8 to aviation bolts and their shear and tensile strength was lower so, I am not very impressed with them.

It's probably not that grade 8 bolts are not strong enough - as you said, go to a supplier that will sell you what you ask for, not what they pull out of a mystery box. Ask for material certs - if the place is reputable they will have them for each box of bolts. This isn't ace hardware store stuff, it's graded material.

The reason I say that the grade 8 stuff is probably OK is that there are thousands of jeeps out there with OEM hardware that have not experienced this failure - I've not (yet), but most of my driving is tame on the mounts (highway).

It's probably not that grade 8 bolts are not strong enough - as you said, go to a supplier that will sell you what you ask for, not what they pull out of a mystery box. Ask for material certs - if the place is reputable they will have them for each box of bolts. This isn't ace hardware store stuff, it's graded material.

The reason I say that the grade 8 stuff is probably OK is that there are thousands of jeeps out there with OEM hardware that have not experienced this failure - I've not (yet), but most of my driving is tame on the mounts (highway).

You make a good point. I was lucky to avoid major damage because the engine rested on the battery wire bundle and didn't drop more. The fan chewed up the shroud a bit. Others had an engine fire because of that. I really don't want to have to worry about it and that's why I decided to look for something stronger, for peace of mind.

Back