• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problems!!!

why don't you soak some o-rings and brake parts in atf and see the results, if they go south you'll know, you need to change the guts. If not then you can "feel" safe. Always carry extra fluid(s), you'll never worry about it, and you look cool when you help the hot chicks boyfriend with his mistake

Another question. When the pistong blew out of the proprtioning valve, the rubber seal came off. I guess I'll put it back on there, but I can't figure out how it goes. It doesn't seem to fit smoothly anyway I try. Keeps hitting on the threads that hold the endcap on. Any close up pics of what the cylinder inside is supposed to look like with the seal on it?

Just a head's up. Yes ATF is a hydraulic fluid, but it will ruin any seal in a brake system, period! Sometimes you can clean the entire system out and get a little time out of it, but you will have Failure and it won't be pretty. Brake system seals are designed only for brake fluid. I have run into this probably a hundred times in my 25 years working at a Dealership. People accidentally put the wrong fluid in all the time. It's normally power steering fluid because they are on the same side. Brake Fluid is so different than petroleum based Hydraulic Fluid, Brake fluid is a water soluble product. Anyone that doubts it, put a caliper seal in oil over night! It will give you the answer.

well, good news bad news for me then I guess. When I drained the master cylinder and added brake fluid back in, I started with bleeding off the front brakes. It was clear already...none of the atf made it to the front. The rear on the other hand was pure red...but I already went ahead and replaced EVERYTHING brake related from the drivers seat back, so I shouldn't have a problem there. Looks like the only real problems I might have now is maybe a master cylinder and proportioning valve. I don't know how the abs system works, maybe it has some seals in it too that won't be friendly....I'll wait and see about that. I might go ahead and put in a new MC while I'm at it anyways....Can't hurt, right?

Allright, ran into my next hurdle. Trying to adjust the parking brake lever with the nut under the jeep. It is froze up solid. I've used pb blaster on it for 2 days now, and still nothing. If I twist much harder, I think I'll brake it. Ran by Gossett Jeep in Memphis today and believe it or not, the don't sell just the adjusting hardware....gotta buy a whole new ebrake handle that comes with it. $200!!!! I was looking at it, and pretty much all it looks like is a piece of allthread with a u-bend at one end to hang it on the ebrake cable with. Could I just cut the old one off, get a piece of allthread, heat it, bend it, and use a lock nut to put it back together? Would that be strong enough? Everyone usually screams grade 8 hardware, but I don't know if this has that much force put on it.

You might be able to just throw seals in your master and save yourself some$$$. The proportioning valve is the last thing to worry about, The ABS unit will probably fail.

FordGuy said:
You might be able to just throw seals in your master and save yourself some$$$. The proportioning valve is the last thing to worry about, The ABS unit will probably fail.

Good advice on the MC...that would save some pretty good money. When the abs fails, I guess I'll just get an abs light on the dash and no abs, right? That won't be soo bad. If it happens I'll just do the swap to non abs. I've heard the abs units are scary expensive!!! Like 600 bucks!!!

Well, it's been awhile since I've visited this thread and I thought I would give everyone an update as to what has been done. The ATF KILLED my brake system. I tried putting things off to see what would happen, but I should have just went ahead and replaced everything while I was at it. I had my front calipers starting to sieze up on me so they had to be replaced, and the MC was the next to go. Took awhile for it all to die, but I now own a 95XJ with a brand new brake system, front to back...LOL Talk about an expensive lesson to learn...

Back