• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BORREGO -- Rodriguez Canyon

RainShadow

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone been to Oriflamme, Chariot and/or Rodriguez Canyons since the fire last year. Going to take a trip through Sin Nombre and then up to
the trails below Julian this SAT.
Any thoughts on the top 3 ?? I just raised the XJ a couple weeks ago (2 inch OME); but it is not built for rock climbing -- I have a YJ for that.

thanks, Randy

I do not get your question ?? Those places I mentioned are in Anza-Borrego State Park in California outside of San Diego County.

Just asking a question about the trails there ......

Is this not a place to ask questions ????

Later, Randy

Rick (Jump This) thinks that Borrego is only the desert :D you're fine posting here don't mind the crotchety old man :wierd:

Rick's brain needs some time to thaw out after his trip to Michigan.

I have run all of those. You will have fun and be just fine. Nothing difficult.

Rodriguez has an optional rock garden that would be difficult for any full bodied rig.

But like I said its optional

I passed through there a few weeks ago to do a prescribed burn in Carrizo marsh. The burn got cancelled but while they were test burning I was talking to a ranger about coming back with my Jeep and he said watch out for washed out sections of trail due to the monsoons that happened over the summer.

Re: ANZA-BORREGO -- Rodriguez Canyon

I edited the title for our "friend".

thanks mucho !!! I think I will end up going through Chariot Canyon
via Mason Valley Truck Trail and end up in Julian. Hopefully it will not
have too much snow ???
Anyone been to Sin Nombre ?? Going to try that one early in the am
on the way to Chariot Canyon. I will end up in Julian at the BBQ place
that has their own brews (beer).

thanks again, Randy

Was thinking of taking my old YJ; but the heater does not work very well -
so taking the the comfortable XJ.

Been through sin nombre many times... Kinda on the opposite side of the desert though...

Also easily done in a stock or mild XJ

Started out very early SAT morning in the SouthEast section near Ocotillo and headed for Canyon Sin Nombre --- only had one rocky section that was not too bad. My friend could not go at the last minute (family issue); so I was on my own.
After having a P&J and some coffee at Vallecito Station campground, I headed out to Oriflamme Canyon area near Box Canyon. By then it was starting to rain and getting a little colder; but I proceeded to Chariot Canyon trail ---- after a little more than 1/2 way I encountered two boulders in the trail a little smaller than a Smart car or Yugo; so since I was by myself and no TC skidplate I decided to back up and head down and out S2 to Banner and into Julian for some BBQ and a brown beer !!! By then it was really raining and getting ready to snow.
Canyon Sin Nombre was fantastic and the washes were fun. I ran into
a Jeep club in the middle of Sin Nombre that were camped out with JEEP/MOPAR tent trailers -- those things are pretty cool.
I think overall the Chariot/Rodriguez canyon trails are for Wranglers/CJs
and some heavy duty/raised XJs --- it was pretty washed out most of the way.
thanks for the info, Randy

Rodriguez is barely more than a fire road and offers optional difficult sections.

oriflamme is not much harder

but in the rain, I could see both being a challenge for a stock/mild rig...

just for reference, last time I ran oriflamme, we went top to bottom in 15 minutes and then back up rodriguez in 20 minutes plus an hour or so playing in the optional rock garden.

that was on 33"s.

While in Canyon Sin Nombre did you notice the "Bacon Wall". If you entered from the S2 you went down a steep hill 90 right, then a 180 left (cool crystals in the vertical seams on the inside of the 180). Anyhow the Bacon wall is about a third of the way in. 100' long and 20' high. makes me hungry just thinking about it.

If you have kids the fossil shell beds (fossilized oyster shell mounds 30' high) and the huge amount of fossilized sea floor you can pick up south of the I-8 in the Yuha Basin are a ton of fun. 8" diameter fossil shells make a great coffee table artifact. A little deeper into the Yuha are volcanic rocks that are magnetic. Put a compass near them and you will see the needle swing off north to the direction that magnetic north was when the iron laden lava cooled (and it wasnt north back then). There is also a little bit of petrified wood in the area, but its sandy looking so it blends in, not like what you see in Arizona. Since you are fairly stock, run up to Elliot mine south of the I-8 near Jacumba. Smuggler cave and Valley of the moon is in that area too. If you look carefully you will find mountain lion tracks. Tons of great places to explore all with fabulous views. A big plus is the border fence that has dramatically cut down on the rif raf. No side arm needed now, very family friendly.

John

Last edited:
Yes -- I noticed the wall. Very interesting in there. I would like to take my friend through the canyon and washes when his family issues get better.
I will check out the other areas you mentioned ....

thanks, Randy

Back