• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor repair

So am I to assume that the last week of squeeling that I listened to is the cause of my motor now not working on high??? And now I have to change the resistor and the motor? How much is a replacement resistor? Can I use a 93 motor in a 96?
Thanks for the info in advance...

When resistor blows, motor still works on high. Does yours work on lower speeds or not at all? There is also a fuse. Resistor is a good deal at the junkyard, but bring an ohmeter to test.

It is probably the blower motor switch. The fuse, relay, and resistor are all used by the lower speeds, but the high switch position bypasses the resistor directly to the motor. Could be connector meltdown behind switch or contacts within switch.

I changed the blower motor in my 98 xj. Let me say ---

A) I don't know how you men get your hands in these places to change parts (I'm a girl and always have a heck of a time getting my little hands in these places.)

B) You will want one of those flexible socket things. The one screw down on the far left side is in a nice little tiny space.

C) That was like putting a square peg in a round hole. First off you have to move the evaporative canister but that doesn't quite get you enough room to get the motor and fan out without a lot of wiggling and contortioning. And then the 3 plastic prong type things where the screws go to hook it to the fire wall stick out farther than the nice little hole they have provided for the motor to go in. Again, a lot of wiggling and contortioning.

But it is in and works!!!!!! Finally, some heat. Now that it's been in the high 40's all week and I don't need the heater except in the morning.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys!

Last edited:
"Quote" Now that it's been in the high 40's all week and I don't need the heater except in the morning.

Send that my way would you? It's -23 and not the wind chill right now. Anything warmer then 20 and I'm playing in my Garage/Pole Barn

"Quote" Now that it's been in the high 40's all week and I don't need the heater except in the morning.

Send that my way would you? It's -23 and not the wind chill right now. Anything warmer then 20 and I'm playing in my Garage/Pole Barn

You guys are having a touch of dang cold weather. I admit it was nice to be able to fix the jeep in the open air with just a jacket on in the middle of winter.

Back