• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blew new caliper piston seals?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Put in new pistons and seals last summer and they've just blown. Been running DOT 3.

Anybody ever see that before? Curious if I got bad parts, or messed something up myself. Probably the latter.

What was the size/condition of the piston bores?

Assuming you bought them new. Sounds like just poor manufacturing/faulty equipment........unless you only replaced the piston seals.

Assuming you bought them new. Sounds like just poor manufacturing/faulty equipment........unless you only replaced the piston seals.
Did you replace the dust seals and the piston O ring? You need to feel the inside of the bore with your fingertip. Moisture settles in the piston bore and can cause pitting. It is possible if the dust seal gets torn that the space between the piston and the bore gets packed with mud and/or sand. Which can score the bore. The calipers are actually pretty forgiving I've seen the piston packed with crud and worked just fine after cleaning.

Back