• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest Waste of Money?

i guess i have been quite lucky but replacing the broken electric fan with one from a refrigerator was a bad idea it was a cheap option but didn't work at all.

ROFL. Are parts that hard to come by in Qatar?

Re painted my lower rear q-panels after removal of bumper caps. looked very good so i wanted to protect it with something better than clear coat. so i went to painter supply bought some 20-something dollar can of rock guard and it was supposed to be clear well not to clear kind of hazy WTF

I just mentioned this in another thread. It wasn't spent on my xj but my yj. I put 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker in a D35. What can I say? I didn't know any better, I was still in high school. It sure didn't take long for those 35's to detonate that rear.

lets please not get racist here, americans are just as much to blame for chinese crap as they are.
who do you think orders a container-load of cheap fuses to sell in their parts stores at an inflated price (yes, theyre even cheaper then what they retail for!) yup, some cokehead american buisnessman looking to make some more coin. they just build it to spec (which includes maximum price)
if youve never looking to capitolism, checkout a documentry or two about walmart. they goto china and say "how much can you make this fuse for?"
if their price is too high, due to things like quality or testing costs, they goto the next factory, and ask them. they play one factory off another, untill they get that rock bottom price, and you wonder why you get shit made out of mercury and lead?
they arent asked nor inclined to make quality product, they are asked to make stuff that works for CHEAP.
americans have the choice, dont buy crap!

but PLEASE keep the racist shit to backchannel/local forums please.
Jesus Christ please tell me you're kidding... It's not racist. It's a shitty product, from China, meaning it's chinese. If we're not allowed to call thing from China chinese, please let me know, I'll make haste on changing my vocabulary to "chinkylandese".

Re painted my lower rear q-panels after removal of bumper caps. looked very good so i wanted to protect it with something better than clear coat. so i went to painter supply bought some 20-something dollar can of rock guard and it was supposed to be clear well not to clear kind of hazy WTF

I know what you need for that. 3m makes a product called scotchcal. Its a very thin vinyl that you basically stick on... maybe a few more steps than just stick... but it protect the paint from rocks and such. Works amazingly well. Also, used on the from of cars and marketed as an invisible bra.

rustys trac bar, rustys control arms, and rustys leaf packs, ALL had either problems in craftsmanship or like the leafs just plain broke and rustys wouldn't warranty any of it.....

Changing the amount of lift more than twice. Went from a 4.5" short arm kit, to a 8" long arm setup. Now I'm about to lower it. That many leaf springs get expensive very quick. Especially when you can't resell them for half of what you paid for.

rugged ridge steering
rough country trac bar (first design with TRE)
Dana 35 parts (to keep it going..)

Dealer.

Part # 5511-5020

I bought one in 2007. Not a bad price but I do not remember how much.
I have one of these, they are AWESOME. Came with my 96 XJ, it screwed up my shift bezel because my passenger door was jammed when I bought it, so passengers had to jump over and usually caught their foot on it, but that's not the fault of the cupholder.

Biggest waste of money yet (only N1YWB and a few others are gonna get this one probably) - my FT2200, I should have gotten an FT8800. Cost me half as much and now I have to find a good spot to put a 70cm radio as well...

oh yeah... 50 bucks on a pair of cheapo Chinese 130/150 watt fog/floods. Look OK, rather cheap on the construction, one bulb has already burned out. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for.

I just got a 2 inch HD OME lift, installing it this weekend - we'll see if that was a waste, I can already feel the oncoming bout of inchitis. Who knows, I might be fine with it... yeah... right.

My biggest waste of money so far would have to be buying cheap Rotors. THey've been on there for not much over a year and are already wavy!

while on the subject of politics...

the biggest waste of money I've ever seen on an XJ was definitely cash for clunkers :(

I'd have to say Bushwacker fenderflares as the bigest load of crap i've gotten so far. that and getting a '89 XJ with that dam B10A POS!!!1

Back