• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Water Leak

I'm having a similar issue. mine is leaking coolant which is running down over the bellhousing. I have no clue where the leak is coming from as it is not severe. But while I'm driving I can hear a hissing sound about every 5 minutes coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Also my heat will blow hot while im drving but if i stop for a few minutes i start to lose heat. Any ideas?

I'm having a similar issue. mine is leaking coolant which is running down over the bellhousing. I have no clue where the leak is coming from as it is not severe. But while I'm driving I can hear a hissing sound about every 5 minutes coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Also my heat will blow hot while im drving but if i stop for a few minutes i start to lose heat. Any ideas?

If you start getting steam on your windshield, you've got a leaking heater core.

I think one of these blighters could be the culprit?
Sensor_Coolant_For_ECU.jpg

I didn't think any XJ's had coolant sensors in the block. Only knew about head and tstat housing.

I didn't think any XJ's had coolant sensors in the block. Only knew about head and tstat housing.

i think the diagram is of the pre-HO renix engine. I not sure about the sensor but mine seems to be around where the pic shows a drain plug. Could be wrong just found this pic whilst trowling the net

Found the leak and its not pretty. Its the water pump, its leaking then running down between the sump and block then dripping onto the exhaust. Quite a bad leak, so I have to add a new water pump to my ever growing and expensive list.

Found the leak and its not pretty. Its the water pump, its leaking then running down between the sump and block then dripping onto the exhaust. Quite a bad leak, so I have to add a new water pump to my ever growing and expensive list.

That is easier than the block plugs. You got lucky.

Changed the water pump the weekend. It wasnt too bad a job, even for a low skill DIY mechanic like myself. The weirdest thing was every write up I looked at described slightly different engines all listed as the 4.0 Cherokee. Mine has an auto adjuster and removing the serpentine belt was liturally a 2 min job. getting the pump of was a little trickier as I had to pull off the PAS res/pully then remove the pully underneath and its brackets to get sufficient access to the pump. Fitted the new one with a OE gasket and some black gasket stuff. Hopefully it will all hold up :)

Wow, yours had a spring loaded adjuster! I take it you have the Right Hand Drive model? I guess they got special treatment. My 1993 Ford pick-up truck had the self adjuster, but my 2000 Jeep, no way. Ridiculous. You did get lucky. The freeze plugs are a bitch. And congratulations if it doesn't leak.

Wow, yours had a spring loaded adjuster! I take it you have the Right Hand Drive model? I guess they got special treatment. My 1993 Ford pick-up truck had the self adjuster, but my 2000 Jeep, no way. Ridiculous. You did get lucky. The freeze plugs are a bitch. And congratulations if it doesn't leak.

Is it common for a new WP to leak when installed?

Yep it is above the alternator, its a pully that is spring loaded. If you put a socket and bar on and pull to the right is slackens, let go and it springs into place.

Back