• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big trouble, not enough time to search

Never rebuild always stroke. Damn near the same costs if you do it right.
You could do that, but depending what the goal is it can cost quite a bit more.
Why, so he can fight driveability problems and cooling issues and then have to change axles so those will hold up?
Cooling issues are the same with a stroker and 4.0L. If the cooling system is in good condition it can handle a stroker. As for the axles.. you really think that an 80 max HP upgrade will grenade the axles?
How does bolting on an aluminum head give you 30 extra ponies? (Claimed on Hescos website)
It doesn't. You need to do a few other things. Like up the compression ratio, get a unichip, etc. There was a thread on JU, IIRC, about someone who bought the Al head then figured out that you don't get 30 hp from it alone.
Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head are both likely to have the head you need, even if they aren't listed on their website. Call them.
Alabama cylinder head's 0331 head is reinforced. As well as 2003+ 4.0L heads, which corrected the casting problem. You will find "TUPY" between the 3 and 4 cylinder springs on the top of the newer, better heads. Also, there is no casting after the 0331. When they did the fix they didn't change the casting number. I don't know about Clearwater.

As for engines that will fit. 99-04 WJ 4.0Ls won't work as 00-06(or when every they stopped making the 4.0L) TJ engines also won't work. The heads will swap on to your block just fine, but the blocks I mentioned won't fit without major modifications. 99 and earlier TJ and XJ blocks will work though. However I don't know how early you can go. Some info on blocks here: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52

I went with Clearwater Cyclinder Head (CCH) on my 2000xj after my head cracked. Didn't bother with a full rebuild just had a new head slapped on. Don't have much other input other than the CCH head being similar to Alabama but a lot easier to get ahold of and a longer warranty.

Give Pat a call at CCH. He can get a new cylinder head to your door in 3 business days.

Back