• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFGoodrich M/T vs. A/T

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into getting a set of 31" BFG M/T tires for my XJ. My whole deal is I still want to be able to talk at a normal voice level when driving. Are the mud terrains going to be unbearably loud or not? I guess if they are I will go with the All Terrains. What do you guys think?

well i used to have mud terrains and there were a little bit louder and made the ride a lil more rough and then i switched to ats cause im going to be doing a lot of street driving and it was a lot smoother and quieter. No it wont be unvearably loud at all but you can tell. The mud terrains do great offroad though. Its really gonna be a personal preferance

Yes M/T's are a little louder than A/T's. Unbearably loud...absolutely not. The M/T's wear a little faster, but not too much. If you EVER plan on going in the mud, DO NOT get A/T's.

Basically A/T's are an aggressive looking street tire. They are HORRIBLE offroad!!! I ran a set of A/T's until three of them failed with bulges coming up in between the tread, then I switched to M/T's and I am SO MUCH HAPPIER!

If you care about how fast they wear, buy ATs.
If you off road all the time, and don't care about only getting 12,000 miles out of a set of tires, buy MTs.
ATs suck in mud, they are ok ONLY if it is dry. They don't last very long either - maybe 18,000.
I hate mud tires on the road.

i ran 33" a/ts on my old 4runner...hated em'...switched to 35" BFG m/ts on my old scout, 31"s on my old Xj, 31"s on my old durango, and 33"s on my current Xj. i agree the a/ts suck. and the m/ts are not that loud, and they kick a** off road. did i mention i like the M/T's better?

I have had 2 sets of M/Ts and I would buy them hands down over the A/T's. They do have a howl but I can only really notice it while the windows are down. When you get them down to 15 psi, you are unstoppable unless you are open. Those M/Ts are well built.

We've run BFG MTs on all of our ranch trucks for a few years now, and see no need to change tire style in the future. Especially after we put some BFG Ats on one of the newer Chevys. It really has a hard time doing daily stuff when its wet outside. It gets stuck a lot.

I just recently put a set of MT's on my jeep and I really like them. I buried myself well above the bumpers and they got me out of sticky clay. They seem to bite on everything, slick or not.

Mine were not that loud at first, but seem to be getting louder after a few months.

Overall the gription is sweet with the MTs, my experience with ATs steers me back towards the MTs

I ran a set of Big O Bigfoot A/Ts on my 2001. Got about 30,000 out of them before the vehicle was totalled; they were rated to last 40,000 miles. They were OK on mud and sand, but by about 20,000 miles they were really starting to wear - wet-weather grip wasn't the best by then.

On the current XJ, it came with a virtually brand-new set of Michelin LTX M/Ses. They were surprisingly good off-road (not the greatest in mud, but still OK), aired down well, and even after I'd put 30,000 on them still had great grip. I'd strongly recommend them if you need something for on-road use that still performs well in the dirt.

Currently I've got a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on it. The stiffer sidewalls are very much more noticeable than the Michelins, and there is a little more road noise - but not badly so. Haven't really been able to test them on the dirt yet, but having driven a Rubicon with exactly the same tires in the mud a year ago, they did fine; I'd also expect them to do OK in the sand.

Your call as to whether or not an A/T or M/T is right for you - if you can live with rapid treadwear and compromised on-road handling and noise characteristics, M/Ts should be fine. If you want something that's OK for commuting as well as weekend wheeling, A/Ts may work out better. Your call, really.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. It doesn't really see offroad that much but when it does I want to make damn sure it doesn't get stuck, so I think I'll go with Mud Terrains. It sounds like a good percent of you prefer them too. I dunno, I'll do a little pondering but thats probably the route I'll take.
Thanks again,
Collin

Get both, pickup a set of spare wheels for the MT's and use AT's for your DD... I've been running BFG AT/KO's for about 2 or 3 years now, they work for me, seem to go about 60K before their wet road handling gets bad. The best all round tires I ever had were Pirelli Scorpion AT's, awsome tires...too bad sears stopped sellijng them for $70 ea and the local pirelli dealer wanted $135+ M&B...

barillms said:
If you off road all the time, and don't care about only getting 12,000 miles out of a set of tires, buy MTs.
ATs suck in mud, they are ok ONLY if it is dry. They don't last very long either - maybe 18,000.

Rotate your tires. Get an alignment. Learn to maintain your vehicle.

I had A/T's, ragged the shit out of them and got 50k outta them.

Now I have M/T's they're not exceptionally loud. I have actually been suprised how quiet they are.

I've had both and both are great for what they do. AT's are good for mostly road driving and some dirt driving like logging roads. Not very good for serious off-roading. MT's are not that much louder and are a must if you plan to go anywhere other than well maintained logging roads in the rain. If I had to choose, I would go with the MT's because I don't like to be temporarily delayed (XJ's don't get stuck) and I like pulling Rovers out of sticky places. Last set of AT's lasted about 50k miles but I had to take care of them (rotation, rebalance, good preasures). I think my MT's lasted about 35k. Good luck !

RichP said:
Get both, pickup a set of spare wheels for the MT's and use AT's for your DD... I've been running BFG AT/KO's for about 2 or 3 years now, they work for me, seem to go about 60K before their wet road handling gets bad. The best all round tires I ever had were Pirelli Scorpion AT's, awsome tires...too bad sears stopped sellijng them for $70 ea and the local pirelli dealer wanted $135+ M&B...

i second the pirelli scorpion AT
ive got those on my MJ... (glad they came on it nearly new, those wouldve cost me a pretty penny)

barillms said:

You are doing something WAY wrong...

BFG A/T 80K+ miles...easy.
BFG M/T 50K+ miles....easy.

Rev

I am a fan of the BFGoodrich tire. I have ran both the a/t and the m/t. The a/t work allot better in the sand, IMO, because they "float" better. The m/t's in the sand like to dig in but still work nice. Anything other than sand I would run the m/t the noise in not that much more noticeable. I have only blew one BFG before and that was not the tire's fault. I hit a sharp rock with the side wall while going around a corner to fast. The m/t's I have now have about 25K miles on them and they still almost look new (except for the chunks taken out of the side from wheeling) I love the BFG m/t's. I run 33/10.5/15

Have BFG Mt's and At's
-mt's are a bit louder and wear a bit faster,at's also quiter than goodyears at
-at's do better in sand and on road snow; but in my opinion they also out perform many other manufacters all terrain in the mud and other substances, though of course the mt's do much better.
-my fiance's ats have about 20,000 miles on them and look to have at least 10,000 more
-my mts have about 12-13,000 miles and also have at least 10,000 more
-only problem is lagre gash in an at, but due to driver error not the tires fault, in fact a 2-ply would have blown out.
-these are both in the 235 size(about 29"), will run as long as I can (almost bald) before upgrading to lagrer size on both xjs
-I like both, will stick with Bfg At's on my fiance's rig as she drives more on the road, May try a different manufacturers mt kind of tire on mine just because I can't leave well enough alone

Last edited:
Back