• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/T vs. Goodyear MT/R

Soon to be added - HP D30, D44, 4.56 gears, and lockers

BTW, you kickass. -gonna put a hp dana 30 in-. I guess XJs dont have much clearance, but it kinds sounds funny. Who cares as long as you wheel it.

ckh550 said:
MT/Rs aren't mud tires at all, it stands for "Maximum traction/reinforced". So they do great on rocks, but i've personally seen them suck balls in east coast/Maryland mud. A friend's Swampers and my 33" Claws self cleaned and drive right through, while a TJ with 35" MT/Rs had to winch out. It was kind of silly.

Rocks = MT/Rs
Mud= BFGs

Also being from MD and watching friends with MT/R s , I agree. But they both seem to be good at "a little bit of everything". I have never had much problems with my BFG MTs; and my fiance's BFG ATs have outperformed any other AT's and some cheapo brand MTs (even with her driving). But also many on here have much more expierience than me. So...

I have a set of 32x11.5x15 MT/Rs and love em. They have awesome traction
and have hardly had to use 4x4 all winter. The extra siping and grooves in the MT/Rs are awesome. I found them good in the mud as well but awesome on the rocks. They are wearing very well for me too, no complaints here from me. My buddy runs a set of 35'' BFGs and he has no complaints about those eother but he says he likes my tires better. I think whichever tire you go with is a good choice because they are both very good tires.

If you like running rocky trails, avoid the BFGs (I've cut several sidewalls) The MTRs wear like iron on the street (just rotate them on schedule) and are virtually bulletproof in the rocks. Which would I buy again?.....TrXus M/Ts. Great tire!.........Hans

mt/r's have a MUCH stronger sidewall, and do just fine in our muddy conditions up here in the northwest. not any worse than the m/t. you will get eqaul amount of miles out of each. bfg's hummm, goodyears go flap, flap, flap. but mt/r's outperform hands down in the rocks. for a dd/weekend warrior, mt/r's all the way.

has anyone tried the bridgestone M/Ts? I read the recent article in Jp re: tire comparisons, but found quite a few gaps. Any one try the Maxxis tires below the Creepy Crawlers? I 've run the bfg ATs as well as the Bridgestone dueler ATs on my dailys, but am ready for a new set of road and mud tires. Lots of rain this spring...

Back