• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year?

i thought only 97+ had no wing windows? was it not an option after 1990?
2X I've heard they were an option through 96, but I haven't seen any on mid 90s rigs. What is the latest model XJ anyone has seen that had opening vent window:dunno:s? And in my opinion, even though I haven't owned one, 1999 is the best Cherokee for all the previously mentioned reasons.

2X I've heard they were an option through 96, but I haven't seen any on mid 90s rigs. What is the latest model XJ anyone has seen that had opening vent window:dunno:s? And in my opinion, even though I haven't owned one, 1999 is the best Cherokee for all the previously mentioned reasons.
My 95 has opening vents, but I stole them from an 87! It's true, I don't recall seeing any later ones with that option. I wonder if it was dropped, or simply became rarer as air conditioning became essentially standard.

either way the opening vent windows suck IMO. they leak and howl like crazy. mine are siliconed shut. and i think that if you find a 2000-20001 and take good care of it, swap in a HP D30, it would be the best one. but 99 in stock form would be my choice.

either way the opening vent windows suck IMO. they leak and howl like crazy. mine are siliconed shut. and i think that if you find a 2000-20001 and take good care of it, swap in a HP D30, it would be the best one. but 99 in stock form would be my choice.
I agree on the 99 but not on the vent windows. You can usually adjust them and train them not to leak, and if you have no AC, or just dislike using it, they're a great help on hot days. I miss them on my 99.

I have vent wings on my 87 & will probably eventually put them on the 95 unless we pull the doors. If you screw around with them you can cut down on the wind whistle, but it can be irritating. Just another reason to have a stereo.

'94 for sure. Absolutey bulletproof. I treat it like dirt and beat the life out of it and its outlasted my cousins '92 and grandfathers '98. All of the problems it's had have been my fault for misuse of the machine. '94 was the last year for multiple options, including one that wasn't previously mentioned in this thread; fiberglass rear hatch. Couldn't make installing 6x9's in the hatch any easier =)

Negative on that. XJs through 96 had a fiberglass rear hatch.

Back