• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year?

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Some new modification done this year. Cheap model and nice.
The 4.0 HO engine and the AW4 combo is bullitproof.:wave1:

They are nice, I like both my 96 and 99, I hope I don't have to decide to keep only one.

'94, last year of no airbags, stronger unibody that year and up, rear shoulder belts, ho and ax15.

Slo-Sho said:
1994 is the last year for the good steering boxes IMHO, on the older rigs you could whip the steering wheel with one finger lock to lock. I swapped in a 99 steering box into my 90 and I hate it.

HAHA I was wondering why my 1994 is easier to steer than any other XJ I have ever owned...

I heard they made the steering feel heavier to make the whole vehicle feel heavier in the later years, is that true?

At any rate, yes I like the 1994 steering much better than the later ones.

1999 is hands down the best year of the XJ. Thats why I bought another one.

Blazair said:
1999 is hands down the best year of the XJ. Thats why I bought another one.

Hands down would imply that everyone agrees with you....which is obviously not the case if you look at this thread ;)

AGAIN I HAVE A 96 BOUGHT IT USED IN 99 WITH 24,000 MILES I NOW HAVE 111,000 HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS ,ONLY REGULAR MAINT ,AND GOOD MPG 24 HWY AT 65MPH

STATCOURIER said:
AGAIN I HAVE A 96 BOUGHT IT USED IN 99 WITH 24,000 MILES I NOW HAVE 111,000 HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS ,ONLY REGULAR MAINT ,AND GOOD MPG 24 HWY AT 65MPH
i guess you have a good reason to scream about it.:confused1

i have an 01 4.0L and love it so far. I'm not worrying about the splines and axles and whatnot, simply because I don't plan on putting anything bigger than 31's or 32's on it, and only mild wheeling. maybe i wont have any problems with this head issue. :shhh:

the best ones are the ones that you own, of course...

I have a '99, and it has been bulletproof, no major issues, although I have a ticking timebomb of a Detroit locked 35....

I am also on my second '89. this one has a non Vacuum disconnect HP 30 (242 case) and just needs a new cooling system, battery, and some TLC to make it one pretty beater.

STATCOURIER said:

I have a '96 that I bought used with 40K, I now have 165K and it is better than ever before.
OK, except for the paint on the roof, it lost the clear coat.

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Some new modification done this year. Cheap model and nice.
The 4.0 HO engine and the AW4 combo is bullitproof.:wave1:

Yes, but neither the 4.0 HO or the aw4 were done in '92. :)

i just bought (still have the paper tags on it) a 2000 sport and im liking it so far.

it sounds like most of you would avoid getting a 2000. why is that? the head issue is understandable. but what are the affects of having a low pinion? ive never owned anything but an XJ but i've just recently started getting into the mechanics and wanting to mod my jeep. thanks

XCastleXJ said:
i just bought (still have the paper tags on it) a 2000 sport and im liking it so far.

it sounds like most of you would avoid getting a 2000. why is that? the head issue is understandable. but what are the affects of having a low pinion? ive never owned anything but an XJ but i've just recently started getting into the mechanics and wanting to mod my jeep. thanks

The low pinion front axle could cause some binding if going with a taller lift.

I would have to say the 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited has been very good year. I purchased it new at the end of 1998. I built it on-line exactly the way I wanted it using http://autos.yahoo.com/ and then started calling up dealerships till I found a fleet sales guy that would build the XJ I wanted for invoice and some change. After I placed my order, it was built and ready 2-3 months later. Very cool!

I still have the factory sticker that says: "This vehicle was built especially for...(insert my name) printed right on it.

Factory sticker says:
City MPG: 16
Highway MPH: 21

Up Country Suspension Group:
Axle- Trac-Lok Dif. (Chry 8.25 29 spline)
Skid Plate- Transfer case
Skid Plate- Front Suspension
Skid Plate- Fuel Tank
Tow Hooks
Suspension- Heavy Duty w/ Gas Shocks
Stabilizer Bar- Rear Delete
Cooler- Auxiliary Transmission Oil
Engine Cooling- Heavy Duty

HP Dana 30 front axle
Tires- P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT
Wheels- 15X7 Luxury Aluminum

Also ordered:
Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
Trailer tow group
Fog Lamps
Radio- AM/FM Cassette/CD/Equalizer
Speakers- Six Premium Infinity

At the time I elected not to have ABS installed, which was a factory option. This resulted in the Chry 8.25, 29 spline rear-end being the axle that was installed at the factory. (All 1997-1999 XJ's with ABS came with the weaker Dana 35 rear-end).

Sticker says: $27, 570. (For those who might be curious what it cost new)

It now has 151,000 miles. Mostly driving on the freeway 600 miles at a time. I did not need to do a tune up on it till around 130K miles. The original serpentine belt was replaced at 135K miles, and was still going strong! Knock on wood, but the only thing that I have had to replace on it were the brakes, the oil, and a ball joint. Oh, and the R/ front axle seal has been leaking for the past 100K miles or so (slow leak). It will be undergoing some major off road upgrade over the next few weeks. I have been very satisfied with it, and feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon such a great vehicle.

Last edited:
well i plan on lifting my 2000 4.5'' lift or maybe 5.5''. what can i do to solve the low pinion problem?

(sorry to highjack the thread. ive done a search and didnt find anything that really answered my question)

cal said:
Yes, but neither the 4.0 HO or the aw4 were done in '92. :)

Interesting....they must have skipped a year
My 91 Has HO 4.0, AW4 and NP242.
Also get that cool little power/comfort button for the transmission to let the rpm's go a little higher ;)
(.....completely useless for me)

Back