• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year for XJ?

I would be concerned the (at least) 10 year old XJ may says to the babes - "I bought this on Craig's list for 2 grand!"

If she like's Cubic Zirconium, She'll love the XJ.

Stole this from JF. She's a little hottie.

JeepLiz2.sized.jpg

and

38777334016_large.jpg

I think the jeep's sexier though :greensmok

yeah, the LP D30 and the 0331 head casting are the biggest reasons I have for not getting an 00/01.

I agree on the "infamous" 0331 head. Not trying to demonize this head, but it is very prone to cracking. Poor maintenance and an overheat increase the odds of it happening. And then if it isn't caught soon enough, it toasts the engine bearings.

The #1 symptom of a cracked 0331 head is "unexplained coolant loss" I sound like a broken record on this, but I want everyone to know this so they know what to look for if they own an 00-01. If you own an 00-01, you need to watch your coolant level in the reservoir religiously!

I answer about a half dozen threads a week on 0331 head problems on this and two other XJ forums. For the 0331 head reason alone, I say 99 and older.

I'm partial to the 99, but hey....I own one. My 99 has been an extremely reliable vehicle. Other than a fuel pump assembly, a bearing set in the front differential, and a new driveshaft, the only other parts were tires and routine maintenance. 145k and runs exactly as it did when I drove it off the lot 13 years ago!

I would be concerned the (at least) 10 year old XJ may says to the babes - "I bought this on Craig's list for 2 grand!"

If she like's Cubic Zirconium, She'll love the XJ.

Any XJ says that. No "babe" is going to be impressed by a XJ. Even in High School. "Babes" put up with the XJ because the dude is so cool. At least that is my story.

Any XJ says that. No "babe" is going to be impressed by a XJ. Even in High School. "Babes" put up with the XJ because the dude is so cool. At least that is my story.

I guess if you drive a ran down stock POS. Idk wtf you're talking about. I get complements from girls all the time at college. Oh and I did pay 2k for my '98 XJ off craigslist...well 2.2k.

Btw go with the new XJ '98 to '99. Chrsyler 8.25 is a beast compared to the time bomb of a rear end D35 that you'll get with the older models.

Last edited:
Btw go with the new XJ '98 to '99. Chrsyler 8.25 is a beast compared to the time bomb of a rear end D35 that you'll get with the older models.

New/old has nothing to do with it, my '99 came with a D35...

She is cute! I want her...... wheels. Is that wrong? And another vote for 1999 for all the previously mentioned (in this thread and all the others) reasons.

Well you seem to be the one who drew the short straw. Old models you will get a D35.
not all the time... you are over generalizing.

84-86 - think you'll always get a d35 here
87-90 - usually d35, all ABS had d35, some non ABS had d44. These 35s sucked just as bad as the later ones, but at least your wheel doesn't fall off
91-95 - around here usually 27spline 8.25, all ABS had d35, some non-ABS had d35 but fairly rare
96 - same as 91-95 but some lucky ones got 29 spline 8.25
97-01 - same but all 8.25s were 29 spline

I very rarely see a d35 in the junkyard unless the jeep has ABS or it's an MJ. MJ 44s aren't easy to find around here (though some of my friends have picked them up) and AMC 20s are even rarer.

Thanks for providing the facts kastein, figured somebody would chime in so I didn't have to go look them up! I may have been over generalizing as well by saying new/old has nothing to do with it, but I just couldn't ignore a post that so confidently suggested all pre '98 XJ's had D35's while all '98+ came with 8.25 beasts.

Oh, and I still want that chick's AEV wheels...

So, I'm looking at a '99 stocker with 114k on the clock (In my oh so favorite gunmetal blue) and I sent the nice people at Chrysler the VIN, with a request for the build sheet. Here are highlights of what came back:

-AZ Agate

AWS Smoker's Group :wierd:

DHP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System

DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio

DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle

DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

JJAP Cigar Lighter :wierd:

NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

QQ7S Gunmetal Pearl Coat :thumbup:

WJ1P 15X7.0 Aluminum 5-Spoke Wheels

Should I jump all over this thing or take the time to look at a 170k '94 that I can get for $1200 and build her up with a 3" lift and 31s and come in at a total pricepoint a shade under what the stock '99 will run me?

Thanks

So, I'm looking at a '99 stocker with 114k on the clock (In my oh so favorite gunmetal blue) and I sent the nice people at Chrysler the VIN, with a request for the build sheet. Here are highlights of what came back...

This looks pretty damn ideal to me! What trim level is it? So long as they're not trying to rape you on the price, I'd be all over it. Unless it was rebuilt, assume the Trac-lok is most likely shot at 11 years old. If I had to replace my '99, I'd be stoked to find that one...

So, I'm looking at a '99 stocker with 114k on the clock (In my oh so favorite gunmetal blue) and I sent the nice people at Chrysler the VIN, with a request for the build sheet. Here are highlights of what came back:

-AZ Agate

AWS Smoker's Group :wierd:

DHP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System

DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio

DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle

DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

JJAP Cigar Lighter :wierd:

NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

QQ7S Gunmetal Pearl Coat :thumbup:

WJ1P 15X7.0 Aluminum 5-Spoke Wheels

Should I jump all over this thing or take the time to look at a 170k '94 that I can get for $1200 and build her up with a 3" lift and 31s and come in at a total pricepoint a shade under what the stock '99 will run me?

Thanks

At 114K that 99 sounds pretty nice.

I'm assuming Classic (The ad doesn't say, going to look at it tomorrow), this is from the build sheet - ARTP Classic Decor Group

Its power windows / locks, cruise control, roof rack, cloth buckets, carpeted floor..

The price is like $200 over book..

Back