• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BEST OIL?!

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok now i know this is more of an opinion, but id like to see who perfers what?! so whats the best motor oil u all use on ur 4.0's?!im debating on goin back on high milage oil or stayin on full synthetic ....i have a 00' with 120000 on the clock...so what brands, weight, do ya guys pefer, id like to get some input before the next oil change:)!

sorry for the double post my computer is slooooww

High milage?

Pfft. My 2.5L has 220,000 on the clock and still tickin.
I think the last time I changed oil I used Pennzoil High Milage Vehicle in 10W-40. I'm pretty happy with it. I just change it when it needs to be changed and it keeps my engine happy.

I'm a big fan of Castrol...

reelbigdundy87 said:
I'm a big fan of Castrol...

i dont trust castrol. techancaly they arnt an oil company, they are a marketing company.... their syn is completly differnet the say mobil 1 or penn. With Castrol you do not know what you are getting. That being said i use Valvoline, Quaker, Penn High Milage whatever is on sale at the time.

Wow...you'd use Quaker or Pennzoil (who uses paraffin wax as a filler in their oil) instead of Castrol GTX????

Castrol GTX, Royal Purple or Amsoil....

Even after the oil scare listed above I am still using Mobil 1 in my three vehicles. Two have around 100,000 miles and the third is approaching a quarter million miles. No smoking and no excess oil consumption. I'm as happy as a clam. The scare didn't shake me yet.

1989 basemodel renix. 142k on original engine.
-shell rotella synthetic 15w40
-oil changes at 2k or whenever it starts to get dirty
-wix filter

so which oil has the highest ZDDP?

you know, thru that whole thread, i dont think it was ever determined WHICH oil has the best ZDDP, they just flamed a bunch of oils who had low levels, then debated how much ZDDP was actually needed....

Me007gold said:
all oil has some paraffin in it.

talk to some mechanics dude....

and find yourself an engine that's had Pennzoil run thru it for a good while. pull the oil pan and see how much sludge is in there...

JNickel101 said:
...pull the oil pan and see how much sludge is in there...
just about any oil pan from an engine run on any type of oil will have some sludge in it. When I opened up my 90, I scraped out close a quart of sludge. I'm not sure what kind of oil the previous owner ran, or how frequently they did oil changes but it wasn't pretty.

JNickel101 said:
talk to some mechanics dude....

and find yourself an engine that's had Pennzoil run thru it for a good while. pull the oil pan and see how much sludge is in there...

You don't even need to go that far. Pull the valve cover and see the problem.

Or pull the pan of a motor that has run only full synth oils. No sludge...

Amsoil every where since 145,000 miles. Now sitting at 252,000 miles. 55 PSI at idle, 65 at highway speeds even after 3 hours at non-stop 75 MPH. Engind drain plug wet but never to top up between oil changes every 25,000 miles.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 and either a mobil 1 or k&n oil filter (depending on whats in stock at the time)
When i first switched to synthetic, i had some oil leak problems. I fixed the leaks by replacing some of the 17 year old seals (mainly the oil adapter housing) and all is well. I love using synthetic, and IMO if the only reason someone doesnt switch to synthetics because of oil leaks, then they must not care too much about the condition of the seals anyway. To me it was an opprotunity to fix them.
Since your already using synthetic, stick to it. Of course posting a question like this will only get you a bunch of different opinions, not a difinitive answer.

Rotella T synthetic or Delvac 1 and a M1-301 filter. (5w-40)

Gave up on RP after recent UOA's

Penzzoil Plat. and Mobil-1 are the best gasoline oils you can buy at the shelf.

rag said:
1989 basemodel renix. 142k on original engine.
-shell rotella synthetic 15w40
-oil changes at 2k or whenever it starts to get dirty
-wix filter

so which oil has the highest ZDDP?
Rotella synthetic is 5w, not 15 cold.

Exxon Mobil somewhat cleared up the story on anti wear addatives and baseoils.

Basically the new Mobil-1 (regular and EP) 5w30, 10w30, have the reduced zddp and more boron and moly.(ILAC GF-4) (designed for new motor's, roller cams etc.)

The HighMileage is fully synthetic SL with 1000ppm zinc and Ph (supposedly, I havent seen any VOA). Designed for older type motors

Some weights as 0w's and the 20w-50 have more boosted formula's. nnot passing the EPA new stricter guidlines

as for all the american mobil being hydroprossed dino group III. I don't know. They say it is PAO plus other oils?

so a high milage oil is already fully synthetic?! its looks like im goin to run mobil 1 full syn. or valvoline full synthetic...now whats the difference between different oil weights?! o and thanks every one for ur opinions:)!

Back