• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best notebook/laptop?

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
anyone have some good info on laptops?
best names/prices.
looking to buy and figured this would be a good start to ask in here.
experance with product would be great.
thanks

Dell all the way for what it's worth.

Got a dell PC that i've put through hell for 4 years now, and I got a dell Inspiron E1505 as a graduation gift when I finished HS and was about to start college. This thing goes all over my dorm whenever we're working on a project, and gets transported from school to home and back every weekend. I dont really use the PC anymore...the Laptop is just so much easier.

The only issue I had with it was I needed a new motherboard a couple of months after I got it. I have wireless internet at home, and regular land line road runner at school. The CAT5 cable would snap into its place in the back of the computer, it just wouldn't make a good enough contact, and you could see the lights not coming on. I would have to hold the cable in with my hand to get a connection to the internet. Called Dell tech support and they had a techie come to my dorm room the next morning (first day of classes) and swapped out the motherboard for a new one. No more problems since.

As far as price goes, it's hard to say. They've always got some kinda sale going...whether it be free shipping, a free dvd burner, free memory upgrade....sometimes all 3. Best thing to do is go on their site and build one the way you want it.

I recommend IBM Thinkpads. They are freakin bulletproof. I work on them for a living. I see what they go through and what they dont. I would stay away from anything that doesnt say Thinkpad on it. Also, It all depends what you want to do with it, gaming, accounting, web surfing, etc....

Second the ThinkPad (and the fact that they're made by Lenovo now is only a nametag change - Lenovo has made them for IBM for years...)

I've owned several - got a T30 now - and my old 760XD still sits in the closet and manages my network (since I can't get a battery for it easily anymore...)

Bulletproof? I don't want to test that - but they're damn close...

5-90

I use the laptops from Averatec, I love them. They are inexpensive and high quality when purchasing i was comparing to the Sony and Gateway products. When i needed tech support (my cat chewed the power supply) they were very helpful, quick with the replacement and were not answering from India. Several larger computer chains have started carrying their laptops but they're still a moderately new company but definately worth the money. Not to dis the other response but stay as far away from the dells as you can, most my friends here have either dells or hps and i'm constantly having to go to their place to fix something wrong with their laptops. Had 2 dells that their dvd-rom stops reading at fast speed and only reads dvds and cds at 12x (makes any installs or movies pointless) I'd recommend the averatec dot com
website to find out about their models then look at Sams Club, CompUSA, or Circuitcity (not sure if BestBuy is carrying it nationally yet) to purchase locally unless you don't mind shipping.

dopeybob

IBM Thinkpad, you won't regret it. I'm on my 3rd notebook, the last 2 have been ThinkPads (my 1st was a DEC 486-25, talk about old-school). IBM figured out a long time ago what a mobile computer user needs and set up the thinkpads accordingly. They're all similar on the standard stuff (cpu, RAM, optical drive, hdd etc) but IBM puts in the little extras that you didn't know you needed until you need it. The eraser head revolutionized mouse-free computing, built-in microphone+modem port+speakers= a full function speakerphone with voice mail. Kids couldn't connect the PS2 to a TV on the road once, used the thinkpads video input and saved the day. Hey, I took my last one and using IBM's tech data on their website I completely disassembled it and changed the cpu to a faster one I bought on ebay. There aren't too many notebooks that are so modular in design that a layman can successfully reassemble after it's been stripped down to an empty metal box. Mine go everywhere with me and get rode hard and put away wet with no ill effects. It's not sexy like an alienware or politically correct like a dell but for real world usage they can't be beat. Buy a used one if $$$ are a concern, you won't regret it.

I think that HP are worth a look. We use them at work and my manager built a killer one as his personal notebook as well. They prices are more than competitive as when we built his about a year ago with just about every option it was less expensive by more than $1000 versus the Dell XPS notebook that had a slower processor and a few other things

HP desktops have suffered since the merger with Compaq - but I guess their laptops have held up...

Other laptops I've owned...

Panasonic CF-41 Mk II (decent, solid, rugged. Spendy!)
NEC Ultralite III (you want old? 486DX66, I think it was...)
A couple of old "suitcase" portables that I don't even remember well anymore...

ThinkPad 760XD
ThinkPad 600E
ThinkPad X20 (gave that one to my wife - she's more "weight-sensitive" with gear than I am...)
ThinkPad T20

Alienware makes a good machine - my brother-in-law has one, and he's in computer graphics. Be ready to just hand over your wallet...

Dells border on being a joke - I do side work for a couple of local outfits that have Dells, and I'm glad I'm not doing IT for them!

ThinkPads can be had "factory refurbished" for quite a few bucks less than new, and they do a good job on the refurbs (I'm typing this on my refurb T30 - and the only "new" ThinkPad I have owned was the 760XD...) You should be able to pick up a refurbished ThinkPad for a reasonable price, and it's goint to be a solid machine.

moparmatt said:
If you are looking for votes Dell has the best "bang for the buck"

Now if I had money I would look into a http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

OR

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/home.asp

I have had my Dell for a while got it free. It is outdated now but works great. I have dealt with the tech support it is like every other tech support BUT IN THE U.S.A. and I can understand the ascent of the opperator/tech.

I am typing this on a Sager notebook. I have another at work, and I have a Dell Inspiron 8000(?) here at home. In my experience the Dell is a better machine that has better features (except the number pad, I hate not having the number pad on the Dell) and the reliability is about even between them. Customer service goes to Sager simply because you talk to someone on this freaking continent.

In the office all Sagers are being replaced with Dell. The average cost of company notebooks is $4K, so t's not dollars that drives the decision, it is long-term performance. Overall nod goes to Dell.

I have also had a mid-range Toshiba. Icky. Sony? Icky still. Can't comment on the IBM though.

IBM/Lenovo thinkpads. Titanium cases, sensing hard drives to sudden movement that locks the drive and parks the heads, online recovery if you can get a network connection, list goes on and on. When you order 1 gig they give you 1 stick so you can easily upgrade to 2 gigs, not like the others that put 2 sticks in and in order to upgrade you need to replace BOTH. I won't even go into the ac/dc converter failures on HP, Sony, compaq and dell.
The only other one I would consider would be Acer, mainly because I like the AMD turons and again they max them out for a good price. The only shortcomings I've come across is the speaker volume is low and that the optical drive is not a slide out which makes replacement a PIA. The IBM's use a slide out drive thats easy to replace though a bit pricey.
For my self, IBM, it's what I bought my daughter and me this year. One other thing, video card, you want a dedicated video card with it's own memory, not shared and you want good resolution, better then 1024x768. We have T43's with intel video shared memory but I needed a real serial port for connecting to cisco hardware and SAN arrays. The thinkpads all come with 802.11 a/b/g wireless which is nice as alot of companys who got into wireless early run 'a'.
The R60 with ATI video with 64meg is a good deal though I would upgrade to 2 gig, if you go vista you will need it and if you go XP I would only go with XP pro.
Also all the IBM's are linux drop in's, suse, redhat, etc, it goes right in, no driver issues it just works. Now if Sun would just get off their asses and start supplying network drivers I'd be all set and able to run solaris.

For work I use a Dell D610. The "small", company I work for, uses them exclusivly. I have not heard of an abnormal failure rate for this equipment, and we depend on it to work 100% of the time. One important detail though, we turn our equipment every 2 years, so even though we treat it badly 24/7, it does get "retired" after 2 years of use.

apple macbook pro, you won't regret coming to the dark side.... No viruses for OSX out there, plus you can dual boot to windows....

dell 8600 at home , only problem i have had was with the dell installed burner softwear . would not recognize the disc status ,
( eject disc , still thought it was in there ) DELETE , installed roxio and no problems since.

dell d610 at work , replaced our old factory p.o.s obd2 scantool .
problem free so far .

Acer is the laptop to have. My opinion on Dell, crap. There customer support is not worth the headache.

lobsterdmb said:
apple macbook pro, you won't regret coming to the dark side.... No viruses for OSX out there, plus you can dual boot to windows....
Yea, I like the apples, mosty because of that nifty magentic charger connection. No breaking it if you forget to unplug it... one of those thing you gotta wonder about why the other manufacturers have not done it, seems a no brainer to me..

Macintosh G4 Titanium is my current piece. If I could go out and buy a new one, it'd be a black MacBook. Though the absence of a PC Card Slot less then thrills me. I'd probably be more apt to find a nice condition G4 Aluminum and boost it.

P8110002.jpg

P8110006.jpg

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Macintosh G4 Titanium is my current piece.

Those were excellent machines.

If I could go out and buy a new one, it'd be a black MacBook.

Before you do that, try the keyboard. The way they put the keys on that weird divided grid makes typing really suck, IMHO.

Getting back to the original question: if you're looking for a PC-based laptop, I can't recommend Toshiba strongly enough. I've had a Satellite 1905-S301 for the past four-and-a-bit years that's been an utter trooper despite my best efforts to beat the living hell out of it. It is finally due for replacement, though, and as part of a wider migration to Apple hardware will probably be replaced with a MacBook Pro in the next few weeks. OSX is fantastic, and for the things where you still need Windows the current batch of Apple hardware will let you either dual-boot or run Windows inside of OSX. My desktop was just migrated to a 17" iMac and I'm running exactly this setup for the half-dozen pieces of software I need with no OSX equivalent. Works great.

Back