• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fuel pump to buy?

I dropped my tank and swapped it--took about an hour with bro around to help. I did contemplate leaving the tank on, but wasn't sure if the whole assembly could be pulled out w/o hitting the diff and I wanted to have some work space. . . The $85 walbro I bought didn't come with the right strainer(paid for a 97+ jeep specific package), so I had to spend another $20 at advance(always something). I did notice that WOT was hitting low 13s, where before it was high 14s- low 15s(have an LM-2 wideband/scanner), so that's an improvement.

97+ the tank needs to be dropped, no room above to remove it otherwise.

unplugged electrical, used a punch and a hammer to get the lock ring to spin off. took sending unit out. nothing really to it. On the Renix era tanks the fuel pump is in the front not top of the tank so it makes it really easy. Oh and I did not have to drain the tank as I only had a couple gallons in it.

I see two types of in-tank pumps listed at Rockauto for a 1991 XJ.
Anyone know which is right?
Or should I take the old one out first.
Mine started making a buzzing noise today, ten mile out in the woods.
I may bypass the filter (couple months old) to see if the noise stops.
Buzzing noise is kind of loud, had to turn the radio up alot :D

Seventeen years of XJ production.

Eight different engine/fuel systems.

Care to share any info on yours?

***forget it, seems 91 and up use the same pump 4cyl or 6cly--get the Bosch 69302.

Last edited:
Seventeen years of XJ production.

Eight different engine/fuel systems.

Care to share any info on yours?

***forget it, seems 91 and up use the same pump 4cyl or 6cly--get the Bosch 69302.

The one I pulled out was a Bosch looked original, part number 9580810019.
It has a long black screen which no store has. The pictures on the net match, but the part in the box does not.

677IMAG0054-med.JPG

the filter sock (screen) doesn't have to match the original in form, it just needs to attach securely to the new pump and it will match the original in function.

Back