• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fuel pump to buy?

Ecomike said:
Update on my probelm.

Seems the fuel pump is OK. Guess I got lucky this time.
Glad it was just the electrical connections.
Replacing the pump is a pain! They usually get loud to very loud when they are going out and you didn't mention noise.

For the rest of you that read this thread; Consider modifying the thank to hold more when you change your pump, I did and I wouldn't go back. Also change out the fuel line if you still have the original.

Mike

PhotographerMike said:
......Consider modifying the thank to hold more when you change your pump......Mike

Can you tell is more, please? What's the modification? The spec on 89 says my tank is supposed to hold close to 21 gallons. The most I have been able to pump, after running out of gas on two occasions, has been about 18 gallons.

Maz said:
Can you tell is more, please? What's the modification? The spec on 89 says my tank is supposed to hold close to 21 gallons. The most I have been able to pump, after running out of gas on two occasions, has been about 18 gallons.

Here 'ya go: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

Well this problem never came back until today. Back to looking for a loose connection first.

i just changed the pump on my 90xj.. its a carter from napa they said it was bosch style and so far so good... it was slightly different than the one in the tank , it took some modifying of the bracket and orings/bushings that hold the pump in place but it seems to be snug in there...

Well this problem never came back until today. Back to looking for a loose connection first.

Well I have checked the relays, wiring diagram and run the starter switch test and determined that I have 12 volts at diagnostic pin 6, connector D1, D1-6, and the ECU timer is working too, on about 5-6 seconds, then off when turned to the run position but no fuel pump noise, so the relays, ECU, even the EGR solenoid which is hot when the Fuel pump is hot, works, so I am heading to check the wires at the fuel pump, and the ground next. Oh, the fuel gauge is working, I have about 8 gallons max left in the 20 gallon tank. I still hope it's not the fuel pump, but if it is, I have some questions.

Somewhere I read it was possible the change the fuel pump, with out dropping the tank? Is this correct on the Renix?

I am down to 8 gallons or less, 181 miles on the trip ODO, and I average about 13-16 mpg, and I never get more than 18 gallons in the tank, so it may be down to 6 or less gallons. If I don't drop the tank, is that low enough to R & R the fuel pump, or do I need to drain more? What if I jack up just the rear, will that be a problem (slope on fuel tank)?

I have a fuel pump that i can sell you if you want, comes with the sending unit pump and filter, i'll sell it to you for 150

Another local Houston member! Cool.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have a spare. Just CMA before I get into my first fuel pump in the gas tank replacement project.

Still need answers to my questions below, 5-90? any other Renix gas tank MPI fuel pump experts on line?

I'll usually look for Bosch or ACDelco - both brands have treated me well.

How about Delphi?

Everyone here (Advance, A-zone, O'Reileys, & Napa is closed today) is pushing Airtex now. O'Reileys has a Delphi in stock. Should I trust it?

Bosch needs to be ordered, would get it some time Monday. Thinking of using a new pump, even though I have a working used spare assy.

for your year there are 2 different pumps available, a Bosch unit (part #N69302) would run you around $95 and a Delphi (part #FE0108) would be about $93.

these are price quotes from NAPA, i can link into my cataloging system at work from here at my home PC. as far as the napa brand pumps (i believe they are made by airtex) they are around the same price..... i would just go with the bosch or delphi.

Is the Delphi a good choice? As good as Bosch?

-NAPA Mike
;)

hope this helps

Update:

OK, I wiggled the wiring harness pig tail (about 18" long pig tail QC) connection under the jeep that goes to the fuel pump and wiggled the connector on the fuel pump cover plate to the gas tank, which looks to be the OEM push on style rubber cap version (BUT?) The Jeep started right up 4 times last night, and 4 more times today (could not get it not to start again). Today I tried to pull the connector off the fuel pump externally to clean the male/female connectors, but no joy. I was able to rotate it about 130 degrees back and forth through the cover plate. Never got the 2 wire connector off the cover plate.

There is a third wire that looks to be attached to the top side of plate, and it "feels" like it is bolted to the seal plate, but it is above the 2 steel fuel lines, so I can not see it clearly. If that is right, the the second wire through the rubber boot cap is a signal wire to the level sensor, and not a ground to the fuel pump. Does this make any sense you guys that have had one completely off?

The Carter, with the Bosch fuel pump on the Advance web site link below seems to have bare wire connectors (no wire, or wires?) held on by nuts, that go onto threaded posts. There is no through the cover plate direct connection to the fuel pump in that style. Is that a retrofit set up, or does the OEM wiring go through the cover plate? If it does then why does the kit have new wires in it?

I am trying to decide what to order for a rainy day when it does crap out, so I guess I need order a cover plate, cover plate seal, and a Bosch pump kit, and a brass punch. Did I miss anything else I might need?

Oh, and to refresh memories, this an 87 Renix, Wagoneer, 4x4, XJ, 4.0 L.

Thanks!!!!!:wave:

Seems that Master is Airtex.

If this links works
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=52&ptset=A&searchfor=Fuel+Pump

I found a Carter online at Advance for 66.99, is Carter any good?

The Bosch there is cheaper than the Master brand? Surprise!

On closer look the Carter has two, one has a Bosch and the other has a Walbro pump in Carter kit. Weird.

Last edited:
anyone have a p/n for the walbro 255lph, recommended place to buy it, and is it a drop in(96 w/ 49psi)?

Hi,
My XJ is a 93, the electrical connector attached to the fuel pump fixing plate is not removable from outside, it is held in place by a clip on the inside, on mine there are 3 wires, 2 go to the connector (Fuel sender & fuel pump) and the other wire (Black) is fixed to the locking plate and is the earth. I have changed 3 pumps now and am getting used to it! It is possible to drain the tank thru the fuel return line connection by using a suction gun and some tubing, I drained about 12/15 gallons this way. The 1st pump I changed the connections on the pump fell off when I touched them, how it worked at all I'll never know. So I would say fit a new pump (Bosch Bosch Bosch) as soon as possible, you could end up stranded miles from anywhere.

Next Spring I am going to move the pump to outside the tank, it's such a pain in the ass inside the tank. I have tested a Bosch pump and it could lift fuel 4ft no problem without priming, so fitting the pump in the trunk somewhere or under the rear seat should work ok, it would make changing it a lot easier. HTH

good ol ebay to the rescue: It's a GSS342 for the 97-04 Jeeps, cause the connector is nothing like my bro's 95(gotta watch when the 96 gets grouped w/ the 91-95s, you might end up w/ the wrong part).

They put them in the tank to cool the motors.

They put them in the tank to cool the motors.

Also electric pumps work better as pushers not pullers. To make life easier, cut a hole in the floor for a removable plate, Chrysler used to to do that for their cars. Had a couple of friends with Daytonas that had the access hole in the trunk, made a fuel pump change a 15 minute job.

Cool idea!

Back