• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beadlocks

how thick are the rings? Any problems with leaking?

Rings are 1/8 inch. thick.. The only leak was the one I bent.. I took a hammer and beat it back in ,retorqed the bolts and it quit leaking..

Aero sells rings on their web site. I need to order one...

Nick

Then buy the aero's, or buy 4 for now at $900 shipped and a 5th later. ;)

Also, don't forget to check ebay. I've seen some pretty good deals there.

I'm not a pro by any means and mine turned out just fine. I don't necessarily believe the "pin hole" leaking theory that was attached to the wheels on the giveaway xj.

You're welding 1/4" plate to a pretty thick wheel bead. Turn the heat up and burn them in.

ok, you convinced me, i will probably end up doing diy beadlocks.... any suggestions on which ones?

Interesting...

what are mud cover tabs?...

"Mud cover tabs are incorporated into the inner ring, eliminating the need for welding."

Probably about the same cost as DIY with new steelies.

I'm not sure about the number of bolts, but I doubt they would be producing them if they didn't work...

They're for the dirt track guys. You an see the 3 tabs in the pic. A quick twist with a flat blade screwdriver to remove/install. It's just a thin flat sheet of aluminum cut in a circle to cover up the center of the wheel. Keeps dirt/mud from getting in there and throwing the wheel out of balance. Same principal as the big foam inserts that are used.

ok, you convinced me, i will probably end up doing diy beadlocks.... any suggestions on which ones?
any write up on how to do these diy rigs im interested in them to have been for a while

any write up on how to do these diy rigs im interested in them to have been for a while

DIY beadlocks rock. I've seen many cheapy beadlocks like the ones posted above bend and leak. More bolts is better. You can actually see the rings bowing out on the cheap beadlocks with thin rings and few bolts. They leak and are a general PITA. I've done 3 sets of DIY beadlocks, and never had a problem with any of them. Here is a writeup I did on another site on one of the sets I put together.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=12027

Those aero beadlocks are for dirt track oval cars. Im not sure if there is any difference but i dont know if the ring would hold up bouncing off rocks.

The tab for the mud cover and this is the same ring I beat the heck out of..
barnayandbeadlocks019.jpg

Iam very happy with the beadlocks so far.......

Testing continous

Nick

DIY beadlocks rock. I've seen many cheapy beadlocks like the ones posted above bend and leak. More bolts is better. You can actually see the rings bowing out on the cheap beadlocks with thin rings and few bolts. They leak and are a general PITA. I've done 3 sets of DIY beadlocks, and never had a problem with any of them. Here is a writeup I did on another site on one of the sets I put together.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=12027
thanks man thats a good write up it answered all my questions

DIY4X.com...

I run the same 34 LTB with DIY4xs Logo ring, fronts at 10psi, rear at 8psi. I found this to be the best psi for my setup/trails I run. A bunch of guys in my club(miobi.org) did a group buy last winter and non of use have had issues. I used the RightStuff(rtv) on the inner ring then bolted them down, no leaks in over 6-7months. Worth every penny...andy

Just ordered a beadlock kit from great lakes offroad. I am going to order some crager soft 8's from summit. My question is, should I order 15x8 or 15x7's. I want the final rim width to be approx equal to 8". The kit I ordered sits inside the lip on the rim.

Just ordered a beadlock kit from great lakes offroad. I am going to order some crager soft 8's from summit. My question is, should I order 15x8 or 15x7's. I want the final rim width to be approx equal to 8". The kit I ordered sits inside the lip on the rim.

I would order 15x8. They will be a little wider than 8" that you want (closer to 9" total), but I think that is better than the little under 8" if you where to use the 7" rim.

Last edited:
I would order 15x8. They will be a little wider than 8" that you want (closer to 9" total), but I think that is better than the little under 8" if you where to use the 7" rim.

Even though they are beadlocks, wouldnt you want the wheel to be slightly smaller then 8'' rather then slightly bigger for a 12.5'' wide tire?

Back