• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Replacement

tjmotter

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I would like to hear people's opinions on upgraded battery options for a 1990 XJ.

Working from home coupled with new habits formed over the past 2 years of lock downs has resulted in much lighter use of all my vehicles. The bi-product of this is that I typically only take the Jeep out once a week but don't usually get enough miles/time on it to fully recharge the battery. I am getting a little tired of having to boost it every couple of weeks and am looking for a better option. Frankly, the Group Size 58 has always seemed a little small to me anyway.

Before we run off on any tangents, the current battery is the top end NAPA and is only a year old. I have a small parasitic draw of about 47mA that is caused by the upgraded stereo and aftermarket door lock systems I installed. It really isn't enough to worry about anyway. The alternator works great and while running I have a solid 14V at the battery so net net, everything is working fine it's just that I am not putting enough miles on it to compensate for for the parasitic draw.

To contrast this, I also own an Audi sedan and despite being a relatively small car, it has a ton of circuits that demand power when turned off so it's battery is almost twice the size of the Jeep's. That car also gets one trip a week and the battery has no problem keeping up.

I don't see a lot of AGM options for an XJ but would like to find something that can sit idle a little longer. Looking for ideas from other members on this one.

thx

Last edited:
A bigger batter isn't the solution. If you're really not driving that much, spend $30 and get a battery tender instead of dumping money into an expensive battery that might only have 10% more reserve capacity. Make sure the battery cables and connections are good, as that can impact how well the battery recharges after starting.

Thanks! Connections are all clean and are making good contact and the cables are almost new. As I tried to outline below, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current solution, it just doesn't have the reserve capacity I need. I have a battery tender but the XJ sits outside and I don't have an outside plug anywhere near it.

A bigger batter isn't the solution. If you're really not driving that much, spend $30 and get a battery tender instead of dumping money into an expensive battery that might only have 10% more reserve capacity. Make sure the battery cables and connections are good, as that can impact how well the battery recharges after starting.

Maybe one of those solar chargers that lives on the dash and plugs into the cigarette lighter?

As to larger options, I run an Optima Yellow Top in a Dirtbound battery tray. Certainly not a cheap option, but it has served me well with the exception of one Yellow Top that died on the trail at 18 months old. All my other Yellow Tops have gone 6 years+, so I think that one was just an unlucky one.

The solar charger is a great idea. AGM batteries don't have much more capacity than a decent flooded.

I think you have something else going on if it's dead within a week though. NAPA's cheapest flooded group 58 battery has 45 AH capacity and their best legend battery says 55 AH. Pulling the cheap battery down to 1/2 capacity with your measured 47 mA load should take approx 20 days. Going by the 75-minutes reserve capacity spec (approx 30% left) translates to 28 days.

I put one of the battery switches in my MD 240D. I have some sort of drain on the battery. I haven't gone through to find out which circuit. I also have a more severe drain on my 2000 Ford Contour SVT. I know its the alternator. Possibly other issues.
Now as to the XJ, I tried a larger battery. It just didn't fit. I was at a guy I use for Jeep projects. He bought a '96 2-door. It had a dual post battery. The wiring was a bad job. Still, I liked the concept. I did upgrade my battery cables, and the Positive cable takes a sharp bend. So, the dual post battery gives me the option to run the thicker cable to the side and does not have to bend much.

Mine's a 96 so there are differences, I have a group 34 agm from O'Reilly's but I usually buy from who sells them cheaper like Pepboys sometimes. Plus I have a cheap amazon 7.5w solar charger wired directly to the battery, up the side of the passenger door and cold weather zip tied to my roof rack, I just changed the alligator clips to d-ring terminals. I read the reviews and they were all positive and it worked basically as a trickle charger, you do not need the voltage regulator add-on stuff.

I have not had a dead battery and have been running this setup for 2 years. Like you I rarely drove it found myself jumping it. Reason I went agm was because I needed a new battery and they can handle being more discharged if I ran into a problem from not driving it...But you do lose CCA but haven't seen a problem with this. My solar charger stays plugged in all the time, I do not remove or unplug it and have not had a problem with any "backfeeding" to the solar panel. The jeep always starts right up. Only problem I had was a regular zip tie breaking when I took a turn fast so I changed to the cold weather zip ties and haven't had a problem for over a year. I went this route because I did not want to remember to turn on/off anything, just wanted to get in and go.

All 3 of my XJ's had had their battery trays modified to take a slightly larger battery, which doe rather suggest something. The '98, which is the only one that gets any use (about 70 miles most Saturdays) has a 74AH battery which might explain why sitting for 3 weeks is not an issue - & it'll probably start after a month. 45AH's is fine for 1 litre, maybe 1200cc (in fact I think my 603cc Citroen has that capacity battery) so I'm surprised one'll crank a 4.0 XJ when it's new.

As for Optimas, I keep hearing/reading that they are now (since a change of ownership) so poor as not to be worth having.

Ymmv, and i’m biased since they are cheap with an account…

East Penn Mfg/Deka batteries are my go to. Their AGM batteries have never left me down and stranded. NAPA branded batteries, some auto zone and advance auto branded batteries are EPM/Deka rebadged (like everything else made in USA, its always something made by 3 companies and rebadged under a different brand name 😅🙄)

Interstate Is a close second.

Currently running a 2 year old Deka 750cca AGM 2nds battery in the XJ with upgraded 2ga jeepcables. I want to say its a group 74 battery with both top post and side post terminals. No battery tray modifications necessary.

In my book, own brand batteries are a no, no - unless you know who made them, so I stick to big names, like Bosch, Exide, Varta. That said my '98 is running a 4 year old obscure/own brand battery my friendly neighbourhood mobile mechanic got from his usual parts supplier - whereas the Exide job in my KJ died stone dead after being laid up for a couple of months. What does any of this prove? Probably only that you have to keep an open mind.

I have been using a Harbor Freight 25-watt solar panel for many years on my 1996 XJ with no problems whatsoever. I work out of town most of the time so my XJ could be parked for up to 4 months. It always starts right up one swing. I do not use a charge controller. Keep in mind, a solar panel requires absolute perfect conditions to produce their rated output, too cold or too hot could reduce the output by as much as 30%.

Installed is an Optima Red Top. The second one installed in my XJ going on 3 years. The previous lasted over 6 years. The problem with Jeeps and Optima is the low charging rate/voltage that the PCM allows. Optimas prefer to be charged upwards of 14 volts i.e., 14.3 to 14.5 volts is the perfect voltage for these Optimas.

Sorry, I could not recommend an AGM brand. I have used only Optima AGM's.

I'd expect any battery to last 4-5 years but, on basis of what I've heard/read, you'll be lucky to get 18 months out of a new Optima. The charging rate theory is an interesting one, but it doesn't explain why modern Optimas are reported as being not as good as those that may be 3,5 or more years old.

I currently have 7 Optimas without any forms of failure, that being said Li batterey's are the future!

I'd expect any battery to last 4-5 years but, on basis of what I've heard/read, you'll be lucky to get 18 months out of a new Optima. The charging rate theory is an interesting one, but it doesn't explain why modern Optimas are reported as being not as good as those that may be 3,5 or more years old.

Should and does do not walk the same path.
My wife's Hyundia requires a new battery every 14 to 16 months, this is just after the one-year warranty runs out.

My DD, which is a 1996 Toyota, need batteries almost as often. Both these vehicles' charges at 14.4 volts and so does the Mazda I drive several times per week. My XJ will do 14.4 volts first thing on a cold morning then settles to a cool 13.8 volts.

Should and does do not walk the same path.. .

True, but my expectations are based on my experience (b-t-w only now noticed that the battery from my KJ bears a label with a date in 2017, so now only a little disappointed it didn't survive several months of being laid up).

I didn't know you could still get batteries with only a 12 month guarantee & thought the minimum was 3 years now. Not bought one since 2019 but I'm sure even then there were no more 2 year batteries - or maybe that's because I was only looking at premium brands. Of curse, it could just be that the American market is different.

True, but my expectations are based on my experience (b-t-w only now noticed that the battery from my KJ bears a label with a date in 2017, so now only a little disappointed it didn't survive several months of being laid up).

I didn't know you could still get batteries with only a 12 month guarantee & thought the minimum was 3 years now. Not bought one since 2019 but I'm sure even then there were no more 2 year batteries - or maybe that's because I was only looking at premium brands. Of curse, it could just be that the American market is different.

My wife who funds the replacement parts for her car only shops at the discount parts store. My theory is, spend $100.00 every year for 4 years or spend $300.00 once for 5+ years.

I have never gotten less than 6yrs from any of my Optimas, my 2 newest are from 5/21 manufacture date.

I have never gotten less than 6yrs from any of my Optimas, my 2 newest are from 5/21 manufacture date.

Such has been the case for all of mine with the one exception that died at 18 months. The rest were all good performers.

Never mind discount parts stores, I was shopping on FleaBay - but still looking for a Varta, but checking out other premium brands (quite a recent development for me) as I believe it's what you buy, not where you buy it that's important.

6 years sounds about right for any decent brand, just hope you can still say the same thing in 2025.

Oh, & the American market clearly is different if only because prices are much higher, e.g. a Bosch battery (has a 5 year guarantee I think) wouldn't be much more than $100 here.

Back