• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles for Rocks

NXJ said:
Think again. :looser:

Actually, the 14sf is stronger than most OEM 60's. Better hypoid offset and 33 spline vs. 30 spline shafts.

Yes, ARB introduced a 3 pinion carrier when they introduced the 2 piece case several years ago. I replaced my broken 2 pinion with the new unit, with great success.

Okay I'm a newb but is it possible to flip a stock 9 inch and gain the high pinion benifit and not lose any strength or am I totally wrong? What would be the problem with this? Let the flaming begin:flame:

for what it is worth i got my hands on a ford 10.25 rearend and a dana hp44 for the front. how much bigger is the 10.25 rear vers the dana 60 or 70 rear if at all?

BTT
to say thanks for answering so many of my questions:wow:

Good Info indeed. since you btt'd it.

mud4x4lover: from one year ago: dana 60 has 9.75" ring, 10.25 is well take a guess, the dana 70 is 10.5"

A 14 bolt has a 10.5" ring as well and the superduty GM14bolt has a 11.5" ring with a 2" diam. pinion gear. Ford's super duty axle(dana 80) is 11. 25 " ring wiht 2" diam. pinion shaft.

Read your post a bunch of times great post i have a few questions for you if you have the time oh wise one.
I have a dilema im building a rig but dont know what axles i what to keep my 4.0 its got some mods done to it and plenty of power also like to keep my transmission (aw4) now this is the dilema. Which axles/transfer case to hunt down lots of chevs around but not as many older fords,scattered dodge here and there can you tell me whats my best bet for a bullet proof drivetrain i was told to do dana 300 but that will be hard to find around here most cjs are grabed up anything else i can snatch up transfer cases from and which axles becasue if i go chevs i got passenger side drop so i wouldnt need to flip a dana 300 but ive been told a 203/205 is useless because its only 4 to1 can you advise on which axles to snatch up and which transfer case

Concerning the ford 8.8, crash said "Weld the tubes all the way around to the pumpkin, or they WILL spin." I am plannin on putting a 8.8 in my xj soon, could someone explain what he ment by this, i dont know too much about axles.

feelinsomewheelin said:
Concerning the ford 8.8, crash said "Weld the tubes all the way around to the pumpkin, or they WILL spin." I am plannin on putting a 8.8 in my xj soon, could someone explain what he ment by this, i dont know too much about axles.

Supposedly the tubes will spin, though it does not seem likely. I ran the 8.8 hard in my full size Bronco w/a 425 stroker (putting down considerably more torque than the 4.0) with no problems.

But, just to be on the safe side, I did weld mine before putting it under the XJ. Use nickle rod and do a bit at a time so the tubes don't warp.

people have more problems when running a traction bar, and some say only the explorer ones spin, who knows, burn them together anyways. or add a TNTcustoms or similar truss :thumbup:

CRASH said:
OK, having had good response to the gearing thread that resulted from almost slitting my wrists at the thought of reading another gearing question, I bring you "Axles for Rocks". A definitive overview of the axle/tire combinations that I have seen work, and fail, in ten years of wheeling granite, slickrocks, cobble and volcanic nastiness. The last 4 or 5 of these years I have been building and fixing axle junk as well.

29 spline Chryco 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits.

I haven't worked on the various portals out there, so I won't speak to them.

Front axles to come tomorrow.

CRASH

Thnx for the Info! Althougn in the Begining are u talking about the 27 spline Axel then the 29 cause U kinda Jump at one point Cause I was gonna Ask I have a Chryco 8.25 but its a 27,
JSut wondering if i could get that cleared up
Cheers

Dreamin4x4 said:
Thnx for the Info! Althougn in the Begining are u talking about the 27 spline Axel then the 29 cause U kinda Jump at one point Cause I was gonna Ask I have a Chryco 8.25 but its a 27,
JSut wondering if i could get that cleared up
Cheers

Srylemme say that again Crash you Start with the 29 spline and then! jump saying that you should upgrade the 27 to the 29 which I found counfusing cause u were talking about the 29 to start with

Dreamin4x4 said:
Srylemme say that again Crash you Start with the 29 spline and then! jump saying that you should upgrade the 27 to the 29 which I found counfusing cause u were talking about the 29 to start with

29spl 8.25 is decent.

If you have the 27spl 8.25, you should upgrade it to 29spl.

So what is the question?

Has anyone ever used the 8 3/4" Mopar axle? I have had several big block mopars and a 1/2 ton truck with this rear end in it.Most 440 equipped muscle cars had it, not the D-60. It's available in 4.56 & higher ratios. Is there a reason not to narrow one for use in my XJ? I can get one from a late 60s wagon that has 11" or 12" brakes & was wondering if it would be worth using. I've narrowed both 8" & 9" Fords in the past so I can do the housing myself, but I'd like some outside input on this. Great thread!!:dunno:

cherokee chuck said:
Has anyone ever used the 8 3/4" Mopar axle? I have had several big block mopars and a 1/2 ton truck with this rear end in it.Most 440 equipped muscle cars had it, not the D-60. It's available in 4.56 & higher ratios. Is there a reason not to narrow one for use in my XJ? I can get one from a late 60s wagon that has 11" or 12" brakes & was wondering if it would be worth using. I've narrowed both 8" & 9" Fords in the past so I can do the housing myself, but I'd like some outside input on this. Great thread!!:dunno:

Yeah there are a few guys here who have done it. One of the things that jinxed my last rig was making arrangements to pick up a Chrysler 8 3/4" from a guy in Spokane. Rig was totaled and the new one I bought has a Tera 60 in it. :clap:

That Chrysler is nice but it's not a high pinion...though there's a ton of stuff available for it. DTS had air lockers made for them and still had stock of them last year. They're the older style but the techs at ARB told me they'd never seen one returned for service work. :)

Back