• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap

Famwgn

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm seriously considering an 8.8 swap and had a few questions. How hard is it to set it up correctly ie. Driveline angles, bbrake lines? Any suggestions on a shop or welder to weld it up?

If you can, mock it up and get the perches/UBE's, whatever you're using, where you want them and weld them up. Then you don't have to deal with shims or anything to get your angles correct.

1. grind all the random mounts off the 8.8.
2. get 8.8 under rig with perches on and u bolts , plates, leaves, etc bolted up. bolt up driveshaft, dial in the rear DS angle.
3.then weld up the perches the best you can, and also mock up your shock mounts and get those dialed with some mounts on the tubes welded up.
4.then pull it off and burn it in real good. then throw it back under there

Last time I did one it was an all day thing, actually, it was the day we left for the annual reno run last year.
but that included shortening a DS, balancing it, new u joints, driving around trying to find the right flange for the 8.8 to XJ DS, grinding and cutting off all old mounts, accidentally breaking a hard break line, going and getting more hardline, flaring it, etc. realizing the calipers where no good, getting new calipers on the spot, new rotors, and then driving around trying to find a second soft line for the driver side. all the random BS, then test driving the setup, etc.
if you use a double shear lower shock mount remember if its not aligned for the right angle as the stock upper mounts the shock may not go back on. (if you use the stock upper mounts) so i just bolted the mount to the shock, pulled the 5100 down into place, tacked it in, then unbolted shock and burned it in like crazy.

Last edited:
Oh ya, we used the RS swap kit. Dan really needs to add the darn 1310 pinion flange to the kit to make it a more of a one stop shop....

gordon youre a wise man, i didnt know those existed.
we actually bought a 1310 adapter and put it on a spare DS for a trial spare.
then we bought a 1310 to 1330 u joint, and put that on the DS on the rig, and used the 1330 flange that was already on the 8.8. so he has 2 shafts ready to bolt in, and it was relativly cheap, like 30$ for the conversion joint, 35$ for the flange, the shafts we already had lying around, everyone always gives away stock shafts...

Re: Re: axle swap

Probably has to do do with ebrake configuration on the 97 and up xj. It's different than the 96 and down.

This. 96down has equal length cables. 97up has long and short as they go into a "box" on the driver side and then go forward

Back