• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-4? to AX-15 swap help?

Can't use the flywheel or CPS though - those are designed to work with the OBD2 JTEC controller setup used on 96+ vehicles, they won't work with a RENIX era TBI 2.5L MJ ECU. Might work with a 91-92 OBD1 ECU (at least the flywheel.)

OR, you could sell the AX15 and find an AX5 and bolt it in and be done. It doesnt sound like you need the extra strength of the AX15 for anything. The simplest easiest solutuion would be to install an AX5. That way too you wont have to worry about the clutch slave, or the driveshaft, just re use your old one with the old bellhousing.

You say your old one is leaking... why not just fix the leaks? And if you install another trans, before installing I would install new input and output seals and new oil to make sure all is good so you dont end up pulling it again later for oil leak problems.

Last edited:
You say your old one is leaking... why not just fix the leaks? And if you install another trans, before installing I would install new input and output seals and new oil to make sure all is good so you dont end up pulling it again later for oil leak problems.

The op wanted overdrive for highway use.

:anon:Sorry for the necro bump, just saw the date.

I realize this is super old but...

Any 2.5 Wrangler came with an AX15, did it not?

I have a bell housing in a 2.5 MJ in my yard that I used on the front of an AX4 to swap to an external slave set-up. I'm pretty sure it came from a 2.5 AX15 Wrangler.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way, I know that I have a 2.5, external slave bellhousing on the front of an AX4.

I realize this is super old but...

Any 2.5 Wrangler came with an AX15, did it not?

I have a bell housing in a 2.5 MJ in my yard that I used on the front of an AX4 to swap to an external slave set-up. I'm pretty sure it came from a 2.5 AX15 Wrangler.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way, I know that I have a 2.5, external slave bellhousing on the front of an AX4.

Pre Chrysler's as in 84 - 87 could have the t-5 in them.

The 2.5l wranglers had AX5s which is just an AX4 with 5th gear.

The only 2.5l that came with an AX15 was in the Dodge Dakota

No, the early xj's had either the ax-4 or ax-5 or t-5. I have seen XJ's with all 3. From 84 - 86 any one of those transmissions could have been in the XJ or the MJ in 86. The most common one in 84 - 86 was the AX-5 though. Those have the external slave too Andy. They went to the internal in 88 or somewhere around there. I owned an 84 and spent many hours looking through JY for parts for it back in the early days of my XJ addiction. Yes I realize this is an MJ discussion but the first year of the MJ followed a lot of what the XJ had going on. I saw an 86 LB with the AX-4 once in a local yard many years ago.

No, the early xj's had either the ax-4 or ax-5 or t-5. I have seen XJ's with all 3. From 84 - 86 any one of those transmissions could have been in the XJ or the MJ in 86. The most common one in 84 - 86 was the AX-5 though. Those have the external slave too Andy. They went to the internal in 88 or somewhere around there. I owned an 84 and spent many hours looking through JY for parts for it back in the early days of my XJ addiction. Yes I realize this is an MJ discussion but the first year of the MJ followed a lot of what the XJ had going on. I saw an 86 LB with the AX-4 once in a local yard many years ago.

Not sure what your saying no to here, he said 2.5l wrangler your whole post pertains to the XJ so I'm not sure why you quoted me.

I don't know where the bell housing I have came from then. What bell housing bolts to the 2.5, AX4 and had an external slave setup?
a stock 94+ 2.5/5spd jeep. 2.5/AX5 combo. Doesn't even matter if it's a YJ or XJ or what, they use the same bellhousing. Fun fact: those were 21 spline output shaft well into the 90s, I know for a fact that 94 and 95 4cyl YJs had 21 spline shafts and I suspect TJs might as well but haven't verified that.

I don't know where the bell housing I have came from then. What bell housing bolts to the 2.5, AX4 and had an external slave setup?

a '94-'95 2.5L YJ with AX5.

Not sure if the XJ was external then as well, the YJ's went external slave in the last years (there were never any 1996 Wranglers produced).

Back