• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to carbureted 1989 Grand Wagoneer swap

J.Olen

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've tried searching and I've tried reading through the definitive AW4 thread, and I walked away with either not enough info, or too much info that left me very confused, so let me try to get this answered and make this a posting to help future adventurers who may try to do what I am trying...

So, I have a 1989 AMC 360 (carbureted) motivated Grand Wagoneer. I also have an AW4 out of a 2000 XJ as well as the trans. computer and most of the wiring harness. I have a flexplate for the 4.0/AW4 combo that has been balanced for my externally-balanced AMC engine, so that is covered. Now then, where do I go from here?

Just for clarification, I really, really want seamless integration, which is a very lofty ambition, I admit. For what it's worth, the column-shifter on the Wagoneer has the same number and order of positions as the XJ shifter. I absolutely do NOT want some kind of external manumatic shift box/controller. This is going to be a daily driver for both me and the wife, and the wife wants to put it in "D" and drive, period.

Please help! I want this long term project on the road before summer, and the boss is getting mighty impatient.

Jared

use the xj trans wiring and ecu and adapt a 4.0 tps to your carb as well as the TV cable. should be pretty simple and strait forward. You'll need a pre 98 wiring harness and TCM though as in 98 they integrated into the PCM

use the xj trans wiring and ecu and adapt a 4.0 tps to your carb as well as the TV cable. should be pretty simple and strait forward. You'll need a pre 98 wiring harness and TCM though as in 98 they integrated into the PCM

Would modifying the 2000 wiring harness suffice? The PCM/TCM integration is another one of those areas where I'm massively confused. There is a separate TCM for the 2000 XJ (physical box that I myself pulled from the donor vehicle), but it can't function without the PCM to coordinate with, correct? There is an additional sensor or two with the 2000 year AW4, right? I'm just trying to reduce my headaches as much as possible. I'm mechanically inclined, but wiring/electrical/computer issues are a black magic to me. It's worth it, however, as this beast is going to fulfill my bucket list goal of road tripping to Alaska from here.

Many thanks!

Jared

The TCU on the earlier models were independent. I'm not sure about the 2000. I know they had an interface to the CAN bus, but I don't know how much they used it. Honestly I would just try hooking up minimum sensors and seeing if it works.

Google for remote TPS

If I were you, I'd look for a trans from a 91-97, and a TCU from 95-97.

You'd install the trans
install the tran wiring harness
plug trans harness into tcu

Adapt a Throttle Position Sensor to your carb linkage and plug into trans harness
Adapt the TVP cable in place of kick down cable
Apply 12V to the yellow lead wire going into TCU
Apply ground to the ground wire going into TCU
Apply ground to the ground returning from VSS (output speed sensor on aw4).

Everything else is self contained.

The TCU on the earlier models were independent. I'm not sure about the 2000. I know they had an interface to the CAN bus, but I don't know how much they used it. Honestly I would just try hooking up minimum sensors and seeing if it works.

Google for remote TPS

Well, I googled the remote TPS units and seem to have found three general results: The TCI unit for GM transmissions, Holley TPS units for Holley electric choke carbs (which looks like the ideal for me and my 4180 if they work) that are also GM "wired", and generic units on generic websites that are for either GM or unspecified. Either way, the third scenario is just too vague for my tastes. Will any of thee units work for me?

Sorry for the spoon feeding. I hope to figure this out and make a fairly complete guideline for this swap. I can find bits and pieces about the swap, but nothing that is soup to nuts, if you will. This swap for the full size Jeeps makes absolute sense, but I guess that full GM drive train swaps are just too easy. I mean, who wants greater than 14 MPG with durability, longevity, and no need to worry about altitude and starting on cold mornings!? Weirdos, man...

Jared

If I were you, I'd look for a trans from a 91-97, and a TCU from 95-97.

You'd install the trans
install the tran wiring harness
plug trans harness into tcu

Adapt a Throttle Position Sensor to your carb linkage and plug into trans harness
Adapt the TVP cable in place of kick down cable
Apply 12V to the yellow lead wire going into TCU
Apply ground to the ground wire going into TCU
Apply ground to the ground returning from VSS (output speed sensor on aw4).

Everything else is self contained.

Spoon feeding! Thank you! Dead serious, that is what I'm looking for. I'll follow your route, but I'll try using the 2000 trans/TCU/wiring, strictly because I'm *really* not wanting to go through the hassle of getting everything anew, so I'll run the risk of having to put it all in, not have it work, then yank it all right back out and get everything anew... Imma smhart thimkin' man! Ugh. Lazy people really do work harder.

I'm also proud of my transmission, which has ~45,000 miles on it. It was owned by the stereotypical little-old-lady who rarely drove it, but has a worthless grandson who likes to borrow granny's Jeep for some drunken off-roading. Because of the low mileage, I'm hesitant to swap it out for a likely high mileage one. I'm peculiar that way. My engine is a fresh rebuild (really needed it), and every one of my accessories are brand new. A/C compressor, P/S pump, CS144 alternator, everything. I'm trying to prevent constant nickel-and-diming myself to death. I'm absolutely tapped out on the funds, much less for a trans rebuild. I'm looking for the drivetrain to last over 100,000 without any major work. Again, lofty ambitions.

Jared

*Sorry for the discombobulation, but I compose slooooooowly. I was writing out my previous response at the same time you were posting yours, apparently.

Honestly for what you are doing, you're best off with an 87-90 aw4 and an older t-case.

The 21 spline AW4's had a higher overdrive, and you'll have the power to push it.

Not sure how the late model TCU will work, I know it had more integration with JTEC than the earlier models had. Report back and let us know.

Honestly for what you are doing, you're best off with an 87-90 aw4 and an older t-case.

The 21 spline AW4's had a higher overdrive, and you'll have the power to push it.

Not sure how the late model TCU will work, I know it had more integration with JTEC than the earlier models had. Report back and let us know.

My fingers are crossed. I'm using my stock NP229 t-case. I've a 219 as back-up if the 229 gives me to much of a hassle. I'm not a huge fan of the vacuum actuation, but with the effort that I've put into making sure the system is clean and clear, I'm going to give it a go first. Either way, I'm needing a 23 spline trans.

Back