• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto-x vids of Jeep

This is just awesome! I've done quite a bit of autocrossing (the weirdest of which was in a rented Town and Country) but to see someone regularly hooning an XJ out there? So cool! Looks like it does pretty well to boot. If my XJ wasn't so lifted, I'd give mine a whirl.

Nice run, brings back lots of memories from my Auto X days.......I ran a Mazda truck that I swapped in a 4.3 TBI Chevy, TH350, 9" Ford rear and always had to compete with the Miata's in the E-Mod class. Best ever was 2nd, which was pretty good for a truck running against factory "go-carts".

Wish we'd have had GoPro's back in the 90's.......

speed2.jpg

speed1.jpg

Last edited:
I posted on NCCBMWCCA's forum: "My 4th NC run was a 49.7xx.(and you can change Tim and my NC runs to a 1996 Jeep Cherokee)."
Response: "witnessing this was the highlight of my weekend by far."

gy5e7uqe.jpg

Buddy had a pair of 18x9.5" w old 285/30 hoosiers sitting around that bolted right on. Gonna have fun at NCC's auto-x tomorrow. . .

Nice vid!

I always wondered what would happen if I took a stock Cherokee out to a Parking Lot AutoX. Your's must be lowered a tad?

I see you folks have some odd version of a "Chicago Box" that someone likes to throw at you :)

I have "raced" a 4" lifted 2.5L Wrangler. I got thrown in Prepared because of all the Suspension mods and larger tires/wheels :gee: :D

gy5e7uqe.jpg

Buddy had a pair of 18x9.5" w old 285/30 hoosiers sitting around that bolted right on. Gonna have fun at NCC's auto-x tomorrow. . .
Tell me about those wheels...backspacing? It looks like you're running spacers? 285s should be awesome, we just went up to 255s but haven't really had a chance to see if they're better than the 245 we've been running.

Tires are probably the most important aspect of track performance, and among the most overlooked. Let us know how it goes!

-Matt

My buddy has a '92 mr2 with a 3.5l out of an '07 Camry in it(I helped install it) and last year he ran these aftermarket Mustang(?) wheels with hub centric spacers, since his center bore is smaller(too bad cause he has a complete set of 15x10" 5x4.5" bolt spacing with 275/30 Hoosiers as well, but they didn't work on the Jeep). He told me the specs of the above Axis wheels are 18x9.5" et20(no spacers, just thick hubs). His Martinsburg, WVA buddy, who also races a mr2(huge turbo), gave him these wheels and has two different aftermarket Mustang wheels in 18x9" with similar offset and four used 285/30 hoosiers he's going to sell me in June for $240. I wasn't used to the extra width and front grip on Sat, so my best time was 47.9xx+1 cone(my best time in the colder morning with the M3 was 43.7xx+1). I let my friend co-drive and he got a clean 47.8xx. He'll post the vids on Youtube and I'll share. Anyhow, it is a blast(and handful) to drive and to watch people's reactions to it. Now to lose the 4.10 rear and go back to the stock 3.07s, so I can start in first and hang in second with 24-25" tires. . .

It is easy to lock the rears due to the nose diving on hard braking. The plan is to get the two 18x9" et20 wheels and 4 hoosiers(8 used in total) in June and burn through them at auto-x this summer, then get some used-for-a-month 255/30-18 Dunlop Z1s for DD duty.

It's great to see another Cherokee autocrossing. Your 2 door sportwagon with an inline 6 must fit in nicely with all the other BMW's
hahaha, that is exactly what I call my buddy Ace's red 2 door XJ. He's got a flame red 2-door 95 XJ DD and a brilliantrot 91 e30 with an m42.

What events do you generally hit? There is a chance I've seen you around, ever go to the foxboro stadium car show? I've been to a few rallycross events in the last year also.

We normally autocross with the Boston BMWCCA at Fort Devens in Ayer, MA. Where do you Rallycross around here?
There was an event at Stafford Speedway a few months ago, another two up in NH, and Saturday one in Rochester NH that I missed going to. I don't drive in em (at least so far) I usually go along to help out and watch a couple of my friends run.

So my friend Tim Walker and I ran the Jeep yesterday down in Waldorf at NCCBMWCCA's 4th points event with the new SUA axle setup and 285/30-18 Hoosiers. I did all the odd runs under our two names and he did all the even runs. In the AM, it was put in the XP PAX class(Cobra kit-car class, which has worst multiplier, since they are the overdogs). In the PAX class you'll see the 4 actual times and then the best time is multiplied by the class multiplier to get the 5th time(which isn't actual), which is the PAX time. In the PM, we are under the Non-Comp category(everyone who runs both AM and PM gets their PM runs put there, since we have 2xs the runs/practice and many people do just one or the other). Tim got a best of 41.664s and I got a best of 42.150s. It was tough learning how much the Hoosiers grip and brake(way less pedal effort to lock up), as well as how much wider the track is(was clipping cones in the slaloms). Anyhow, she's a beast: http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=113&act=down

Last edited:
Back