• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto 1998 XJ stuck in first gear

chiw00

NAXJA Forum User
Searched over and over, but nothing matches my issue.

Last night driving home, in a steep highway that goes from sealevel to about 4,600 feet of altitude in about 40 miles, usually about 60 mph and on OD, my revs went up, and I think my trans went to 3rd gear.

My check engine light went on

I stoped at a red light and when I pulled on the gas again my tranny stayed on first gear, it didnt shifted, moved the stick down to 1-2 and nothing, 3 nothing od nothing.

unplugged battery for about 2 hours and chek engine light wont come off

auto trans still stucked in first.

Scanned on an autozone and dropped code p0700

any ideas on this issue?

Cleaned my nss about 2 months ago.

thanks in advance

Re: Auto 1998 XJ stucked in first gear

P0700 is just alerting you to a transmission specific code. You should be able to retrieve a code directly from the transmission that is a little more specific.

If you disconnect the TCU you should be able to shift manually but will go from 1st to 3rd.

I seem to also remember something about NSS triggering a P0700. Did you search?

p0700 just means there is a code stored in the transmission. There is a whole list of codes that can be stored in the transmission. All p0700 is means is that the TCM is saying "Hey, we got a problem here" to the PCM. The code means nothing more. So any time you have a transmission issue, you can expect a p0700. There is probably a p17xx-p18xx code stored, which is make specific and accessed through the TCM.

Last edited:

Sounds a lot to me like your transmission missed a shift or slipped, and the TCU detected it and went into limp-home mode. 98 and later XJs have a TCU which can detect what gear it's in, so this makes sense. Check your fluid level and quality, get the tranny specific codes read by someone, clear the codes, and see if it comes back. If it fails the same way again, unplug the TCU and see if it drives properly shifting manually as Johnnie said.

Fluid is at its normal level, red colored and smeels normal.

How can I test the TCU? The TCU is located back of the glove box or over the brake pedal?

I will try to retrieve more codes with a better scanner.

Thanks in advance

Over the gas pedal on yours.

Another question

Trans tech says the faulty code is P705 TR sensor.

TR sensor is Transmision Range sensor, also known as NSS???

please tell me if I am right.

NSS will cause shifting problems or it is only a Neutral safety switch?

Over here is hard to find XJ´s so I cant borrow any NSS to test check.

About 2 months ago took out my NSS and cleaned it, with the procedure that is on this forum. I used somo grease that I bought at Autozone, the ones that they sell for the spark plugs cap.

Reverse light went on, xj started on P, but didnt start on N.

I can move from P all the way to 1-2 without pressing the brake pedal , is this normal?

Going crazy without my XJ working correctly.

Thanks

Another question
Trans tech says the faulty code is P705 TR sensor.
TR sensor is Transmision Range sensor, also known as NSS???

That is correct. This switch can be removed and cleaned. Here are a couple of writeups.
http://jeepin.com/features/nss
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

NSS will cause shifting problems or it is only a Neutral safety switch?

Over here is hard to find XJ´s so I cant borrow any NSS to test check.

About 2 months ago took out my NSS and cleaned it, with the procedure that is on this forum. I used somo grease that I bought at Autozone, the ones that they sell for the spark plugs cap.

Reverse light went on, xj started on P, but didnt start on N.

I can move from P all the way to 1-2 without pressing the brake pedal , is this normal?

Going crazy without my XJ working correctly.

Thanks
While the codes show the NSS isn't working correctly, I don't believe a bad NSS can cause the trans to stay in first gear. You could try unplugging it altogether just to make sure its not the problem.

You might want to start by unplugging the TCU and trying to shift manual with the shifter. You should get 1st in (1-2), 3rd in (3), and 4th in (D) with no torque converter lockup. If that works then the problem is likely electrical in nature. Have a look at http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html. I particular, you'll want to check the resistance on the shift solenoids which is a pretty common failure. Failing to shift out of first gear can be a bad output speed sensor, but I've only really seen those fail on the older Renix Jeeps which used a different type of sensor.

will do the TCU test from transonline link, BUT seems to me that the xj on the article is a 96 or older rig, because the TCU is located on the glove box compartment.

for my 98 xj will this article still work? Wire colors will be the same? ohms readings and voltage has to be be the same values?

thanks!

My buddy has a 98 and we used the above article to test his out. I'm not sure about the colors, but the pin locations appear to all be the same in the connector.

Good news and for the record

removed and cleaned my NSS, and auto trans shifts again, check engine light is off.

Thanks for all your help, and here is a new fact.

Dirty or failing NSS will influence on shifting on a 1998 aw4 xj

Thanks for posting the follow up. Most never post what fixed it.

Good news and for the record

removed and cleaned my NSS, and auto trans shifts again, check engine light is off.

Thanks for all your help, and here is a new fact.

Dirty or failing NSS will influence on shifting on a 1998 aw4 xj

NSS--deeply into multitasking. It prevents the engine from cranking unless the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. It TELLS the TCU what gear has been selected. It controls the backup lights. It can open a bottle of beer.

One of the things I posted may not be true.

Back