• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

at the end of my rope.....

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm narrowing down a starting issue that I'm having. When the engine is hot, it will turn over, start, then struggle BAD to stay going for about 15 seconds. It will then rev up to normal and run like a top. I do notice that if I pop the hood, it will start great 9.5 out of 10 times. Plugs, wires cap and rotor are not old at all, so I ruled that out. One guy told me to change out the coil, didn't help. Changed out the TPS, IAC, and temp sensor, no good. Wrapped injectors and fuel rail with heat wrap and put on the heat shield from a JEEP TSB. Nothing. All of this started when I replaced the unit inside the tank. I wanted to change the fuel filter and my gas gauge died, sending unit I think. After reading, some folks say that the pressure regulator being bad exhibits this behavior. Dropping the tank sin't hard, but I would rather not do it. Could this be my demon, and if so, can I put on an external regulator in line with the "bad" one?

Long winded, I know, but I'm at a loss

eddieeddieg said:
I know it's very basic -
but have you checked the fuel pressure?
Eddie

And make sure that you check it cold, cold running, hot, and hot running. With these problems, it sounds a little like your fuel rail is having some minor vapor lock issues.........

Or maybe you're just not sweet-talking (or swearing) at the Jeep yet:roll:

Pressure is next on the agenda. I will definately check that out before doing anything to the tank. I gets me that this started when I dropped the tank. Ive even considered installing hood vents.

MattS said:
Pressure is next on the agenda. I will definately check that out before doing anything to the tank. I gets me that this started when I dropped the tank. Ive even considered installing hood vents.

You sure you got the pickup in the pocket on the bottom of the tank when you put it back in ?

MattS said:
I thought I did. Wouldn't it not seat right if I didn't?

Not necessarily, it will go in cockeyed.

Back