• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone running front leafs?

I love XJ leaf conversions.

017.jpg

019.jpg

-----Matt-----

I love XJ leaf conversions.

017.jpg

019.jpg

-----Matt-----

^^^^^^
hahahaahahaha

I will have to agree it seems like reverse engineering, but as far as the build it seems very practical. But the front axle needs to be cut down a bit so both axles are the same width.. IMHO

Easier, perhaps, but how many comp guys do you see running leafs now? Simple isn't always better.

-Alex

i dont do comps i just run trails and have fun. no need to compete when you havin a good time. i have been wheelin since i was born back when all the rigs had leafs. and most of them still do. they go everywhere everyone else goes without any trouble. although i do agree in sayin that link suspension is beter. by no means am i saying leafs is the best thing ever invented. i am a poor college kid who didnt wanna spend an arm and a leg building links when i could throw leafs in and be fine for everything i want to do

I have seen limiting straps on leafs in colorado. You still have to bump stop them. Still makes no since then $$ to build front leafs. Sounds like many wheeling areas will soon have a axle width limit and Im sure hes over that. Last I heard they are talking about 79"wms limit for Reiter.

Rode in a buddy of mine that did this to his XJ in colorado. Rode very very rough. Eventually created the worst axle wrap I ever saw. Year later he ripped it all out and linked it front and rear.

if you build it correctly and wheel it right you wont be ripping anything out. there are ways to get rid of the axle wrap. i have also heard about the widht restrictiions. but IMHO i dont think they will be able to enforce that and keep wider vehicles from going through the trails

I think it all comes down to what type of wheeling, and what your budget is. Now that the rear is done I am looking at a front 44 swap. Leafs would make the entire thing SO much easier and quicker.

BUDGET. thats the key word. this cherokee is my first wheelin rig and definitely not my last. why not experiment and see how evrything works and what i like and dont like?

Brandon used to follow me, not I don't think he can. (opinion)

FWIW he is still invited to come play, I will just make fun of his suspension.:D

-Alex

no worries i will still follow ya ;) now that i can air down to 4 pounds like you it should be a little easier ;) i will see ya at NWFest

Looks good!

On my shocks I cut out the stock location and welded on tabs up inside the engine compartment.

i have been contomplating the front shock placement. i dont know if i like how it is now but it seems to do alright so far. the rear is giving me a headache.

o and if anyone was curious. i measure 80" from outside of the tires in the back and 84" in the front

I'm running full width (78 F-250 axles), with stock late model Dodge wheels. I think they have about 6.5" back spacing. My front is about 79 or 80 wide with 14.50 tires. I squeezed through all of the filters at TSF. I can't run H1 wheels due to lack of clearance at the high steer. If you ran H1 wheels, or anything else with the right backspacing, then you should be able to comply with the new width restrictions being considered.

Nice job on the budget build.

IMG_2761.jpg

Dodge wheels with weld on beadlocks.
IMG_2735.jpg

Old Indy Mags with not enough back spacing.

Last edited:
I just finished mine, but now i need to save up to build a steering linkage, and buy some new brake lines. So i will be interested to see how your does when you wheel it.
BTW, what size are the shocks you are running?

Last edited:
I just finished mine, but now i need to save up to build a steering linkage, and buy some new brake lines. So i will be interested to see how your does when you wheel it.
BTW, what size are the shocks you are running?

gotta work some of the little bugs out then i will take it for a run. im running 10" travel shocks in the front using the stock upper shock mount with a BPE and the lower shock mount is off of the u bolt plate

so its been a while since i posted any news in this thread so i thought i would update it.

i now have the front dana 44 cut down to match the rear axle, alloy usa xjoints in the front axle shafts, bilstein 5100 12" travel shocks up front and bilstein 5150 10" travel shocks in the rear, and pushed the front axle forward an inch to center it in the wheel well. it has been out on a couple runs now at evans creek and it has worked flawlessly! the next run will be the TSF thanksgiving run. the only complaint i have is that the rear dana 60 hangs down a little low and likes to catch on things it didnt use to catch on. but the 35 spline conversion and 37s should fix that ;)
let me know what ya think!
27954d1287419981-project-full-width-atcamp.jpg

27955d1287419981-project-full-width-67299_158807364151419_100000664684710_346895_1701678_n.jpg

27956d1287419997-project-full-width-68734_158807394151416_100000664684710_346896_1230710_n.jpg

27958d1287420018-project-full-width-65997_158807437484745_100000664684710_346899_3989982_n.jpg

nice lookin rig.

'wow people on cherokee forum are way nicer then the people on naxja........... bunch of pu$$y's on cherokee forum :) see you on thanksgiving.

ha! your right ;) lol but its easier to post stuff there without getting criticized for something that "wont" work. see you there :cheers:

I will say that I have never had issues with a coil spring sagging, leaves on the other hand...Hasta

Back