• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know this XJ?

Rex Leo

NAXJA Forum User
I clicked the carfax banner on that link and it said there are 13 things on its report. Didn't say whether good or bad.:dunno:

I'm working on that now.

Just thought it was kinda lame for a dealer to be so nonchalant and act like they could care less....and I was speaking with the OWNER of the dealership. I was asking simple questions like if there were any service records, carfax report available, basically asking typical questions that a serious buyer might ask, not a tire kicker. I was expecting a little more from the guy because he told me it was his son-in-laws vehicle. The guy literally chuckled at all my questions and then basically gave me an attitude like he didn't care to be bothered. Yeah, granted we are talking about a $6,000 vehicle, but really...you post an ad online and someone calls with simple questions and the owner of the dealership blows you off.

I just find that beyond comprehension. Especially when I have cash in hand and ready to buy a vehicle in the next week, and this xj was on the short list, don't know if it will be anymore. /rant

Anyway...been a lurker here for a while and pretty much have things nailed down between an older 4runner, xj, or ford bronco. At this point leaning toward a clean xj if I can find one, otherwise I'm going for a 4runner.

I say screw that guy. You can find ALOT of nice xj's for that price if not cheaper.

Out of those three options the XJ is by far your best bet.

Unless you find a rare and elusive 1st gen 4Runner with the solid front axle you will not be happy with how they flex in the rocks. The IFS just doesn't articulate like a solid axle. I say go with the XJ and never look back.

I just ran the VIN through Chrysler's tech connect site, it says the vehicle has a full restriction (does not mean totalled nessecarily), was originally sold in High Point, and does not state that it was a "Police Package."

In 12 years at my dealer, I have NEVER seen a 2000 police package XJ , only 2001's.

well that explains the avoidance on giving up the carfax possibly.

What are reasons something is put on full restriction, besides being totaled?

thanks for taking the time to do that btw

WTF ? im suppose to have the only silver jeep with a black grill !

anywho, now i know what the black rims will look like too :)

btw, I have more stickers !

well that explains the avoidance on giving up the carfax possibly.

What are reasons something is put on full restriction, besides being totaled?

thanks for taking the time to do that btw

Things like major accidents, loss of partial or full warranty, taxi or ambulance service, etc. Really would help to have a Carfax.

As others have said, its not a great deal at all and combined with the BS from the dealer, I'd walk away.

Ya gotta think hard..you gonna miss them "knobby tires"...:jester:

They sound fishy to me. I wouldn't do business with them, especially at that price.

FYI- A guy on this thread says the police XJ's only came with 10" rear drums instead of 9". 10" can be spotted by the ridges on the outer edge.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/who-all-here-has-police-security-xj-10327/

Of course you probably have the odd XJ here & there, where someone upgraded the brakes but it's not police package, though upgrading drum brakes to slightly bigger drum brakes isn't exactly an upgrade in my book. :dunce:

I know for a 100% fact, as I have build sheets and window stickers for Police XJ's, that there are no brake differences with Police XJ's.

They are nothing more than Sport package XJ's with extended idle capabilities and no carpet.

I've heard everything from strokers, to D44's, and so on, but hving worked on them for some time now, they are nothing special at all. (compared to any other XJ)

I know for a 100% fact, as I have build sheets and window stickers for Police XJ's, that there are no brake differences with Police XJ's.

They are nothing more than Sport package XJ's with extended idle capabilities and no carpet.

I've heard everything from strokers, to D44's, and so on, but hving worked on them for some time now, they are nothing special at all. (compared to any other XJ)
Thats not entirely true, "Police Special Service Package" or sometimes called "SSP" XJ's have been made atleast since the 90's and they had more differences than a modified sport package, id actually lean towards calling it a modified SE package.

Heres some of the differences:

some have headliners with no sound bar,
some dont have center consoles and the emergency brake is on the left side of the driver seat,
some had column shift,
some had different brake sizes,
some had heavy duty sway bars,
some had abs,
some had heavy duty shocks,
some had hotter spark plugs,
some had HD alternators,
some had HD radiators,
some had front bench seats,
some had plactic seats,
most had tow hooks,
some had pushbars,
some had tow package,
some had skid plate package,
some had 120mph speedo,
most had roof rack delete

and the list goes on...

True, let me be more clear. 2001 model SSP NC Highway Patrol XJ's are what I said earlier. I have read a build sheet firsthand and have seen them as nothing more than Sport package w/o carpet and with extended idle function.

no prob, ive seen the 2000 "police" XJ (not sure if SSP or not), kinda threw me for a loop with the opposite mounted e-brake handle, and headliner with no speakers and plastic seats that looked like someone took a picture of the fabric and made a plastic photo and lined the seat with that.

now that i think about it, the OP's XJ in question could be a Fleet vehicle and not a true "SSP"

Back