• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone actually enjoy driving a Liberty?

JeepinMatty91

NAXJA Forum User
I work at a large nissan dealer who's sister store is all ford so we get trades of all sorts, and today I drove a '04 Liberty. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!! It was awful. It made soo much noise that wan't in a good way, it was top heavy, not to mention terrible interior design. This wasn't even an abused vehicle. Looked like a soccer mom SUV with about 40,000 mi. The only good thing I can say is that it had decent power. I couldn't own a Jeep newer than 2000, but I'll stick to MJs and XJs. I'm so glad I have an older jeep.

Yes I do frequently. Mom has one that she beats to death on a daily basis. Matter of fact i'll be in one for about two weeks beginning Monday, when mine goes into the body shop for repairs from accident #2.

Gotta realize the KJ is built completely different, and was designed for a much different crowd than the XJ. Driving both as often as I do, IMO, where one is weak, the other is strong. If I could drop a 4.0 in the KJ, do a SFA conversion....man that would be one hell of a Jeep....

I'm very impressed with how it's holding up. She doesn't take care of a vehicle like one should.....so I have to keep on top of hers, as well as mine. In the almost 4 years we've had it, only things i've replaced are Tires, and about two months ago it got a new battery. Other than regular oil changes with Mobil 1 and some general maint. (like keeping up on the fluids, diff's, all that stuff) it's been damn reliable. Would I hesitate to get another one?...absolutely not. I've taken it on a couple of small off road spots that only the locals know about and I was real impressed with how it handled....almost better than my XJ (both were in stock condition at the time).

I drove one for a couple of weeks (rental) after my old XJ got wrecked.It wasn't that bad for running around town and getting through the snow (I wouldn't wheel one though).It felt like I was driving around inside of a big bubble.

Yup, loved driving my liberty, only approach I had was the fuel consumption. I live at 3000 feet and it has served me well in going up steep mountain roads coved in snow. Never let me down once. My bro has it now. Sure it’s not as off-road capable as the XJ but is not as bad as 99% of people claim. I would get another one but with a Diesel.

Check out the lostkj club website. These guys do a lot of build-up and actually wheel their Libbys. There's a guy on here that has 2 of them and speaks highly of them. I wouldn't get one for myself but if you're willing to put some cash into one to make it trail worthy.....

I wouldn't mind driving this one
liberty059.jpg

I lurk in a couple of KJ boards (havent registered to post anything yet) and there are some really cool things being done to some of the KJ's...especially out west. Somebody on l.o.s.t did a SFA conversion on one and its absolutely stunning.

Arran said:
Yup, loved driving my liberty, only approach I had was the fuel consumption. I live at 3000 feet and it has served me well in going up steep mountain roads coved in snow. Never let me down once. My bro has it now. Sure it’s not as off-road capable as the XJ but is not as bad as 99% of people claim. I would get another one but with a Diesel.

Seeing as how you're in Germany that would be a lot easier on getting a diesel. In the States, they're hard to come by (they were very popular when they first came out), and they're not in production at the moment. They're scheduled to bring the diesel back in the next couple of years if i'm not mistaken...

Not to mention a few states have those stupid laws (California for example) that you can't buy a diesel new. It's gotta have x ammount of miles on it before it can be registered in that state. Some emissions bull crap...

Didn't they just recall all of the KJ's for ball joint failures? We've had a couple here in our home town flip on the interstate due to ball joint failures. They ran a piece on the local news.

I saw one loose the whole right front knuckle/wheel the other day in traffic...Dang thing just fell off at about 30 mph. Poor woman about s**t herself.

i hate libertys honestly. not to mention the factory ball joint defect. I heard about it on jeepforum and saw it for my self locally.drivers side of axle on the ground SNAP!

xjtrailrider said:
Didn't they just recall all of the KJ's for ball joint failures? We've had a couple here in our home town flip on the interstate due to ball joint failures. They ran a piece on the local news.

I saw one loose the whole right front knuckle/wheel the other day in traffic...Dang thing just fell off at about 30 mph. Poor woman about s**t herself.

Few years back my wife's drive was a Dodge Durango and it got recalled for the ball joints as well. Maybe it's more of a DC problem, not just a Liberty problem. I alway said that if my Cherokee ever becomes a trail only vehicle I was gonna get a Liberty as a daily driver, but now that they've redone the Wrangler my next buy is a 4-door Sahara, I think my wife wants one worse than I do. For all the crap DC has taken on the latest Jeep releases(much of it well deserved) I've got to give them much props for the new Wrangler, I think they really nailed it with that one.

xjtrailrider said:

Thats one of the few draw backs on the KJ. DC could have saved some serious $$$ had they listened to us (those who own KJ's and actually know crap about Jeeps) when we said that it wasn't just limited to the 02 and early 03 models, as they previously thought. Back when this was still becoming a "major problem" there were some who had their originals snap, got it fixed per the recall/warranty, and then had the replacements snap AGAIN! DC finally woke up once it started showing up on the later 2003's, the 2004 models, and even some of the 2005 modles had theirs snap not too long after leaving the freakin lot (some had theirs let go with only 3-4K on the ticker...

And of course, DC being the cheap people they are, tried to blame the problem on "defective heat shields". Please!....their idea of a heat shield is a JOKE! The problem is the things are getting too hot being next to the brakes (which are a tad weak for a vehicle of it's weight, so the front rotors get pretty hot after a while of driving). And the fact that they've put the sealed units on EVERYTHING front end related means that you can't keep grease in them, they dry up, and snap. Had they made the LBJ's greasable units, there wouldn't be a problem.....or atleast as much of one.

But now, DC must eat the cost of a set of LBJ's for 830,000 KJ's, or every 2002-2005 model KJ. 830,000 x 2 = 166000 ball joints total.

Luckily the ones on my mom's never let go, but I didn't realize just how close they were untill I got it in for the recall. I thought the steering had become a little loose, but I chalked it up to being out of alignment. Managed to get the stealer to squeeze me in among the others and got them replaced. I couldn't believe how tight and responsive the steering was with the new ones. It was just like the day we bought it.

The really sad part is, due to the number that have to be replaced, and the fact that DC can only crank out so many replacement LBJ's, the stealers are only allowed to do so many at a time, and there are long waiting lists at alot of the dealers in the nation. For those who can't get theirs in and have to wait, it's a crapshoot as to if yours is going to let go or not.

I'm not doggin it as a vehicle, I just wanted a different perspective on 'em. Overall, I just plain was not impressed. Nothing about it was appealing. I can think of at least three other SUVs i'd consider long before it.

Yeah but common lets face it nearly all makes have recalls’ for something or another. I just had mine changed last week and the original ones where still fine. They also put some heat shield in and did something to protect the Airbag sensor. Now its nice an safe for my Bro and his newly expanded family.

I bought a cactus green '02 Liberty Renegade brand new when they first came out. At the time, that was the most enjoyable vehicle I had and it got me into wheeling and started my free money spending habits on my current XJ.

I helped start the NorCal L.O.S.T. chapter (still going) back in '03 and my kid and I wheeled the snot out of it. I kept it essentially stock because lift kits back then were not worth the trouble, but I did have good rock rails and recovery points. The guys on the L.O.S.T. forum were great and it filled a void I had in my life at the time.

Although heavy, piggish, and equipped with IFS, it handled well on the road and performed great on mild off-road trails. Anything more than a Class II trail will leave you high centered and missing paint, however. Yeah, I know this first hand. The early Renegades actually had nice interior and trim, albeit small. One interesting point that few know is a 4' Hi-Lift jack fits perfectly into the moulded trim in the rear hatch area. Coincidence? Naw, probably an unadvertised joke. Still though, that's where I kept my Hi-Lift (and it got plenty of use, thanks to the limited ground clearance).

Looking back, I feel dumb for putting so much $$ into that Libby. I paid 25k for the beast, and have a unfortunate memory of ignoring the still new XJs on the dealer floor. I kick myself everytime I think about passing up a new, or nearly new Cherokee.

363217_8.jpg

363217_25.jpg

3632170102_medium.jpg

363217_20.jpg

3632170075_medium.jpg

Funny...The above pic was taken after piling rocks all day to get through Strawberry Pass. I thought that trail was cool and a real challenge for the Liberty, and the Hi-Lift jack was used many times. It is one of the easiest trails I have done with the XJ and barely requires 4-hi to get through it.

Last edited:
Back