• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody here budget boosted a '00 ??

Shoeman

NAXJA Forum User
Any of youse guys ever put a budget boost (shackles or add a leaf) on a 2000 XJ? From the sounds of some posts here, the 2000 is a bit different from the earlier years as far as front shaft and stuff goes, yes? Does this make it less of a good idea to try lift one even a small amount? It's a DD, 90% street use, which is often a foot of snow and I'm looking for a tad more clearance over the snow banks, etc.

Geoff

I did the daystar spacer/shackle about 8 months ago on my 2000 and haven't had a single problem with it. When installed, the shackle hit the tail pipe, so I cut about 6-8" of it off, and one of the bumper bolts hit the shackle, so I took it out. Not that big of a deal. Get a turn down for that tail pipe and put a shorter bolt in for the bumper.

:cheers: Thanks for the input! I just had a thought after reading Hondastompers post... would longer shackles prohibit installing a reciever hitch? Would they get in the way? I want to be able to tow my CJ with the XJ and was planning on a hitch install this Spring.
Oh yeah......what's a SYE or whatever? I'm a newbie to XJ's. :dunno:

You should have no major issues installing a reciever hitch, infact, I wouldrecomend installing one, they make excelent recovery points.

The Slip Yolk Eliminator Gets rid of the front part of the drive shaft that "slips" into the rear of the transfer case. I gets rid of driveshaft vibration due to a bad driveshaft angle.

seanR said:
You should have no major issues installing a reciever hitch, infact, I wouldrecomend installing one, they make excelent recovery points.

The Slip Yolk Eliminator Gets rid of the front part of the drive shaft that "slips" into the rear of the transfer case. I gets rid of driveshaft vibration due to a bad driveshaft angle.
Ah, I see. If you don't need one, bet I won't either. I thought the same about the hitch. Somebody makes a tow rope loop you can slide in even! Handy, I'd say.
Thanks for the explanation Sean.

Geoff

Shoeman said:
Ah, I see. If you don't need one, bet I won't either.
Geoff
:D I had a 2* shim in my '99 and a 2" BB...slight hummm and I'd eat ujoints every 3 months, but it was bearable....

3.5" of lift and you'd think the pig was going to explode LOL I did a SYE and was happy.

Good luck either way!

TOZOVR said:
:D I had a 2* shim in my '99 and a 2" BB...slight hummm and I'd eat ujoints every 3 months, but it was bearable....

3.5" of lift and you'd think the pig was going to explode LOL I did a SYE and was happy.

Good luck either way!

Eek. Every 3 months? Really? or are you goofing with me :helpme:

If that's really the case, then I'll pass on the whole idea. I don't need that kind of aggravation just to be able to get out of the driveway without having to snowblow the end after the freakin' plow comes by.

3 months?

The reason I did the shackle over the AAL is because a shackle lowers the the spring abit, keeping the rear drive shaft more in line with where it should be and making it less likely you won't have any vibes. I only notice a little hum when I let off the gas above 60 or so, but only for a split sec. I haven't noticed any problems with it. Also, I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear, which is supposed to be more likely to get vibes.

2" BB with shackles.... no SYE .... NO problems

3" BB with shackles & 2" Block .... no SYE ... light vibes around 45 under heavy accel.

9 out of 10 people don't have problems with a 2" BB even on newer models.... but you never know so it doesn't hurt to have the $$$ in reserver for a SYE when ever you lift one.

Shoeman said:
Any of youse guys ever put a budget boost (shackles or add a leaf) on a 2000 XJ? From the sounds of some posts here, the 2000 is a bit different from the earlier years as far as front shaft and stuff goes, yes? Does this make it less of a good idea to try lift one even a small amount? It's a DD, 90% street use, which is often a foot of snow and I'm looking for a tad more clearance over the snow banks, etc.

Geoff

leave it alone, enjoy it how it is. I have a 2000 w/+3.35 and I'm going back to stock. What a pita it was. I have a sye and lots of other stuff. pm if you want to gory details.

Stock Rocks!

I put the lift on my '01 for a couple of weeks. I had contact on the exhaust from the shackle and vibes. Because of time/money constraints I took it off and went back to stock.

Hopefully this spring I'll get the SYE and do it for real. I tried a number of different shims and couldn't get the vibes to cease.

I'm probably going to combine the BB with ZJ coils and an extra leaf for about 3", new shocks, and 30" tires. Just have to get the budget past the committee.

Someone please answer this once and for all...

With a 2" BB kit, are stock length shocks ok? I just ordered a new set of Bilsteins, and I was wondering if I should have ordered the longer shocks. I'm not lifted yet, but I am still considering it.

If you want to lift your rig, then don't let other's bad experiences stop you...by all means consider their stories and let them weigh in as good input, but do what you really wnat in the end.

It's odd, most of the AV4x4 Crew that have lifted XJ's, have '98 and up.

Nearly all of us are over 4" of lift...3 of them are '00+

It can be done, and done so as to keep it a Daily driver rather easily as long as you're thorough and patient.

RJ

TOZOVR said:
If you want to lift your rig, then don't let other's bad experiences stop you...by all means consider their stories and let them weigh in as good input, but do what you really wnat in the end.

It's odd, most of the AV4x4 Crew that have lifted XJ's, have '98 and up.

Nearly all of us are over 4" of lift...3 of them are '00+

It can be done, and done so as to keep it a Daily driver rather easily as long as you're thorough and patient.

RJ

I took the '00 for my first 110 mile highway rode trip last night, the last half hour in a torrential downpour. The BFG AT's make a bunch of noise at 75mph, quiet a bit at 80, and that's as fast as I dared go as they are slightly imprecise as a high speed tire, the Eagle LS's that where on it were better suited to that. But anyhow, it will rarely be asked to perform that kind of duty (the Windstar gets that vote). I'm kind of concerned that any lift will make it goofy at even normal highway speeds. Anybody have any input?

i just recently did a BB(AAL) to my 2000 and i had vibes, i put 2% shims and vibes still exist but at lower rpms. so i ordered a tcase drop. Also my rear shocks were fully extended after the lift.

Renklaf said:
i just recently did a BB(AAL) to my 2000 and i had vibes, i put 2% shims and vibes still exist but at lower rpms. so i ordered a tcase drop. Also my rear shocks were fully extended after the lift.

Renklaf,

That's exactly what I was looking for, and afraid of...

I know this has been said, but... Please don't let other peoples bad experiances stop you. Go for it. More people have had no problems then have had problems! Do it man.

Back