• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have a subaru ?????

Shmity

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious if there was anybody else here that is also into subies...new STi's to old school Brat's...heres what i have....used to be strickly a track car but now she's a garage batch until winters over

533325333_l.jpg

533340392_l.jpg

and my significant other

549252777_l.jpg

Last edited:
Both look real nice. Allways been a fan of the STIs and hopefully maybe somday i can afford one, though i would rather go with a nice f250 for towing and DD.

Nice cherokee, what year is that?

that and whats with that front bumper dealy?

I actually kinda like the Scooby's...

I'd take one over a honda/nissan/toyota any day

well sadly mine isn't an STi...though within the next year i am hopin to find that engine for it....it's actually a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS...which unlike the STi's is the last of the 2dr's

The cherokee on the other hand is a '93 that i got a few months ago as a side project for $500 with a blown engine...The front bumper/brush guard is just somethin i'm messing with for now....as of it is removable and there will be 2 Daylighters mounted in the center...it's mounted to a new lower crossmember that i fab'd out of 1 3/4 that resides just in front of the swaybar and follows almost the same lines as it....the front is made out of 2 inch and slides over-top of the 1 3/4 underneath....may try to mount a winch to the new crossmember nestled in-between the 2 verticle bars...heres the only other pic i have at the moment...but this was just during the build

387768927_l.jpg

Gil BullyKatz said:
I actually kinda like the Scooby's...

I'd take one over a honda/nissan/toyota any day

xBajillion. I'm not a particular fan of Japanese cars in general (too bland), but had an '86 Brat once and loved it. I've driven several of the current crop of Subarus, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I learned to drive (and wheel, unbeknownst to my mom) in her '91 Loyale wagon. 1.8, 5-speed, pushbutton part time 4wd.

Used to have a Blue '93 Imprezza. Had about 246,000 on it when we donated it to Charity. Still ran fine, the engine could have used a rebuild to get some power back that the miles had taken away. But other then that, no problems what so ever. Always wanted a Blue 2 door RS, maybe someday.

i've got an 05 baja (the newest version of the brat) and i really enjoy it. it runs great, gets good gas mileage....and its a fun car to drive, it handles great. i have no probs.

Big Subie fan here. My first car was a rare 1991 Legacy 2.2 Turbo...put 240k miles on it with the original turbo. Bought a 2002 WRX when they first came out, and then a 2004 STi when those were brand new. I even had a SVX! I've moved on since, but I still have a great deal of fondness for the cars...even if they sound like lawn tractors ;)

-----Matt-----

nice pics of everyones subie's..and jeeps...i figured, being awd, that there had to be some people with some

I've always like the new baja's...they look awesome...i want to get one and lift it to take it off road...they look so good with 4 lights on top...i've never really got to see one up close though (ie interior or how they drive)

I haven't had "hardly" any trouble with mine either...the only thing i have had to do is some tranny maintanence...but thats only b/c i road race it and beat the living crap out of the car...i swear the harder i beat on the car the more it will take...i would really like to get an STi...i have a good friend with one and they are realy quick for a stock car...at least when his was stock...i'd really like to weld on a hitch to the jeep to tow my car and trailer with but i don't know if the jeep could take the weight..i know my trailer weighs a good bit...being tandem axle and all and then the car on top of that....but i may try it..i have a spare reese hitch i could play around with

ladywolf said:
i've got an 05 baja (the newest version of the brat) and i really enjoy it. it runs great, gets good gas mileage....and its a fun car to drive, it handles great. i have no probs.
Dang Kris - forgot you had that along with the stable of Jeeps. What kind of carrying capacity does it really have?

I don't personally have a Subaru, but I'll be working on one for the next few weekends (instead of getting all the new parts installed on my XJ...)

My friend has a 98 Impreza that we're doing a complete custom interior for. It's going from stock tan and brown to black, blue, and matte silver. We're pulling the rear seats and building custom sub boxes and an enclosed amp/capacitor rack to replace them. New racing seats up front, new carpet, new headliner, repainting all the trim pieces, all new audio components...it's going to be a pretty intensive build seeing that I'm doing it on the side of a full time job. It's his DD, but he also uses it as a show car.

Used to have an '87 4x4 wagon. Power sure sucked, but was a blast to put it in 4Lo and plow through deep snow. I briefly had the illusion of lifting it (some company out of Australia makes/made kits) and swapping in a newer, FI motor. Then I realized the cost and headache of that, as opposed to just buying the XJ I now have.

My friend just bought a new Baja - the turbo version. Very nice interior, but the back seat headroom is much too short for me (6'2"). The rear window is RIGHT behind your head - short folks and kids would fit great though - legroom was fine in the backseat. Works perfect for him and his wife (no kids) to go camping, get to trailheads, etc.

ColoCherokees said:
I briefly had the illusion of lifting it (some company out of Australia makes/made kits) and swapping in a newer, FI motor.

Funnily enough, those guys aren't the only game in town anymore: I was looking into getting a Brat a few months ago and lifting it and was actually surprised that there were a few choices out there - even for the non-EA81/82-engined cars:

www.scorpionsubaru.com
www.alliedarmament.com (we need more one-stop-shops like this for XJs ;) )

There was one other one, but it seems to have fallen out of my bookmarks.

Then I realized the cost and headache of that, as opposed to just buying the XJ I now have.

Depends - I was looking into the Brat from the standpoint of better fuel economy as a DD (which means more money to pump into the XJ), but having 80% of a stock XJ's capabilities after being lifted.

The one real downside I found while researching all this was that Subaru went with a transfer case integral to the transmission on the EA81/82 vehicles - so it'd be hard to regear low range from 1.53:1 to something a little more grunty, and if I went to a later injected engine with the 5-speed that reduction would drop further to around 1.43:1. My numbers may be a little off, but there were some definite caveats involved.

My friend just bought a new Baja - the turbo version. Very nice interior, but the back seat headroom is much too short for me (6'2").

Brat + jump seats = no headroom issues :D

Back