• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another wagon with misc parts...

Kyle

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I would post a build thread. I was into the XJ thing several years back but certain life circumstances led me to sell my mildly built 99 XJ. I ended up landing a clean and maintained 98 XJ. I put together plans in the immediate sense that goes as follows.

4.5" lift with misc parts
TnT LA kit
stiffiners
4.56 gears/ARB Lockers
35 MTR's
plus a couple other odds and ends.

This will get me rolling and back on the trails (I look forward in seeing some of you norcal guys out there). Once rolling again I would like to learn about and get into some fabrication (my main goal of this new build is to learn about building in ways I did not explore with my last build). Purchasing a welder/bender etc.

Anyway heres the evolution of my new wagon.

Started with pulling apart the rear end.

Took axle out to freshen up.

Pulled shafts/cleaned inside of housing. Installed new wheel studs for disk conversion. Installed new backing plates. Protecting with Ruff Stuff cover (highly recommended).

Back inside jeep.

Onto SYE and TnT LA Bellypan install.

AA SYE. I installed with the SYE still inside the jeep thinking I would save time. However i feel like it took me the same amount of time as it has in the past. In the future I would probably pull it out to install so i'm not on the ground all day. Probably took 4.5-5 hours (with a trip to napa).

This was my first time installing the TnT Bellypan. It took me a bit to actually figure out what the directions were saying. I ended up just getting into it and then the directions started making sense. Probably took 3 hours to install. I HIGHLY recommend using a 90* drill to cut the holes, much easier. Install ended up clean (will be adding stiffeners as well as painting rails in the near future.

So far very impressed with the TnT LA Bellypan. Huge amount of added coverage and I think I could drop the jeep on it without any problem at all.

Couple parts came in,

JCR 1 ton

4.56's

35's

Should be able to mount tires in the next two days, have to do some trimming and finish reaming knuckles.

This weekends progress

Steering installed (rough alignment). Reaming out the knuckles/pitman arm took a bit of time for sure. Most of front end setup, reinstalled front brakes, lines, quick discos etc.

Here's a mock up of what the front might look like. My goal was to be able to mount the tires this weekend however I discovered that I need to adjust the LA's a bit.

Oh and did a little cutting aswell...

Goal is to have tires on by next weekend.

Good looking rig!

Auburn, looking forward to heading out with folks once it's rolling.

Will be re upping my dues in a week or so. Thanks for the welcome!

Looks good man, really clean. You have some nice parts going too! It will be one solid rig

Thank you, and ya I'm going for a relatively capable rig up front so I can hit the trails again. Goal though is to ultimately use the project to develop some fab skills as time goes on.

Got the jeep off jackstands for the first time in about a month and a half. Still not drive able, have to do an alignment, install tracbar, and bleed brakes. But at least its supporting its own weight again.

Also does anybody know a reasonable shop in the area that they would recommend for a relatively inexpensive but professional paint job?

Good work on the rig man. Whats your next step?

Might need to cut some more for 35s,

I'd look for vinyl wrap maybe? not nearly as much prep. Basic colors can be about $1500 installed. Crazy colors (green chrome, polka dots, tiger skin, etc) are pricy

Otherwise paint doesn't look bad to me.. At all

Looks great. I also have a white jeep that I am on the border of painting. Just a recommendation... PW7 is the color code for mine (bright white) and I found this single stage 2k clear + base mixed together from 66auto color out of Missouri I think. A monkey can spray this stuff, and it comes out really smooth. Pressure is much greater than that of a normal rattle bomb. For about $400 worth of cans you could spray your own jeep in the garage. Get a mask. Stuff is really nasty.

I painted the bottom section of my doors and a front clip white with it.

d3bceef24a33f1681d965ef7087c30c8.jpg

af2fa16b640b25643587dc08c5d8f055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work on the rig man. Whats your next step?

Next I need to finish hooking up and aligning the steering, install tracbar, and reinstall driveshafts.

Then install stiffeners.

Then have somebody put in gears/arb's.

Get some sliders and it will at least be trail worthy.

After that I'm going to pick up a welder/bender and learn to weld a bit. I would like to start by going through the floor with tube and creating some hoops for long travel shocks in the rear. See where it goes from there.

Might need to cut some more for 35s,

I'd look for vinyl wrap maybe? not nearly as much prep. Basic colors can be about $1500 installed. Crazy colors (green chrome, polka dots, tiger skin, etc) are pricy

Otherwise paint doesn't look bad to me.. At all

How does it end up in the durability department?

Tom woods rear shaft in today...as always great quick service. 3 day turn around time from when I ordered. Got a few other steering thing a sorted out today. Bleeding brakes tomorrow then it will be rolling around at least.

More goodies arrived...decided against ARBs for now because once I get this wheeling again my plan is to start building 60's so I didn't want to dump a ton of $$ into the stock axles.

Back