• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another turn signal thread...

brenttrf

NAXJA Forum User
About a month ago I started trouble shooting my 2000. This was the first thread...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86166

Here's what I know. I only have one flasher...I have not replaced any bulbs recently and no bulbs are out.

What I have done...Changed the flasher (twice...just to be sure), Checked all fuses, Replaced the turn signal switch (this sucked because it was not cheap!). I don't have any other electrical issues with the vehicle.

My turn signals turn on, but just stay on, they don't flash. My hazard lights don't come on at all. My stereo has been acting a little funny...fluctuating volume, but I don't think that is electrical, I believe it is just having amp issues.

Any ideas?

ok u should have two flashers, maybe the second is not there, just look for the slots just like the one u plug the one into, it will be there.

a 2000 should only have a single "combination" flasher. if you've replaced the headlight switch, which incorporates the hazard switch as well, i would think the issue would have to be with a ground(s) or actually lack thereof. :dunno:

nixJ said:
a 2000 should only have a single "combination" flasher. if you've replaced the headlight switch, which incorporates the hazard switch as well, i would think the issue would have to be with a ground(s) or actually lack thereof. :dunno:

But the turn signals turn on, they just don't flash. If I had a ground issue, wouldnt everything be dead.

a weak ground in a circuit will cause the most frustratingly bizarre problems. have you tried removing all signal bulbs, cleaning the sockets thoroughly with contact cleaner and re-assembling? my left front signal did all manners of weird sh*t until i cleaned the socket out. been fine ever since.....

nixJ said:
a weak ground in a circuit will cause the most frustratingly bizarre problems. have you tried removing all signal bulbs, cleaning the sockets thoroughly with contact cleaner and re-assembling? my left front signal did all manners of weird sh*t until i cleaned the socket out. been fine ever since.....

I have not tried pulling any bulbs. i could give that a shot

I will try the bulbs tonight when I get home from work. Any other ideas? My situation seems unique. I have heard of other things happening, but nnot exactly how mine is happening. This sucks!

hello:

I agree, you probably have a bad ground or corroded socket possably a loose or corroded connector somewhere. If you have access to a VOM you can start at the battery and check for a voltage drop somewhere in the circuit, also check for high resistance accross connectors and other componants.

good luck

brenttrf said:
Replaced the turn signal switch (this sucked because it was not cheap!).

If you don't mind me asking how much was it, and how much of a job was it to replace. My hazards have been fishy ever sense day one, and my left turn signal is starting to act up too now. Time to get it fixed befor winter sets in, and it goes compleatly.

scoobyxj said:
If you don't mind me asking how much was it, and how much of a job was it to replace. My hazards have been fishy ever sense day one, and my left turn signal is starting to act up too now. Time to get it fixed befor winter sets in, and it goes compleatly.

Unfortunately I could only find it at the dealer. It was $75. It is very easy to replace. You unscrew 3 screws on the bottom of the steering colum to seperate the top and bottom to reveal the insides. You then unscrew 2 screws that hold a plate in place to cover the switches. There are two plugs on the back of the switch and it pops right out. It takes about 5 min.

yeah...if you hadn't mentioned replacing the switch, i would have been certain that was it. USUALLY those symptoms mean either dead flasher or switch. but, hey bulbs are cheap, and cleaning sockets is basically free...

nixJ said:
yeah...if you hadn't mentioned replacing the switch, i would have been certain that was it. USUALLY those symptoms mean either dead flasher or switch. but, hey bulbs are cheap, and cleaning sockets is basically free...

Yah, after troubleshooting everything...I thought...I was sure that was what it was. The bulbs would have been cheaper. I wasnt able to get to it tonight, but ill see what I can do tommorow

I haven't troubleshot a newer XJ combined flasher but if it is anything like my Exploder, the flasher has it's own +12v and ground. The switch contacts that actually run the bulbs is completely isolated. Mine wasn't getting the ground on the flasher. See if you can score a schematic of the flasher socket and measure the flasher "drive" power and ground.

old_man said:
I haven't troubleshot a newer XJ combined flasher but if it is anything like my Exploder, the flasher has it's own +12v and ground. The switch contacts that actually run the bulbs is completely isolated. Mine wasn't getting the ground on the flasher. See if you can score a schematic of the flasher socket and measure the flasher "drive" power and ground.

Good idea I'll look at tha as well. i will try the bulbs first.

xj005202.gif

this help?

OK...I checked all bulbs and everything looks perfect. nothing is blown...all contacts are clean. it looks as if everything just came off the lot. I was actually surprised how perfect/new everything looked.

So, I need to check voltage. I have a simple voltmeter, will that work? What setting should it be on to check. I am not an electrician, so any ideas for the idiot would be great. I will start with checking the ground out of the flasher. I guess that would be the first. Then I will check the ground off the hazard switch.

Please let me know the best way to check.

Thanks

To check for a bad ground you nead too use the resistance or ohms setting, be shure to disconnect the positive cable from the battery first.
To check for voltage use the volts dc setting with battery hooked up, red lead on the power wire, black to a non painted or rusty surface on the chasis.
I would start with the two fuses shown in the diagram, check before and after the fuses also check at the socket where the combination flasher plugs in. You are looking for the voltage to drop a few volts from what the battery is reading, say 14 volts down to 10 or something like that.
Next check the ground from the CF to a non painted or rusty surface somewhere on the chasis. A low reading say 0-2 ohms is good the higher the number goes the worse the voltage drop will be.( low # good / high # bad ).
If all that is good you will nead to start checking the light circuit(not shown on the diagram) in the same manner. It would probably be better to start by checking from the negative on the individual light sockets too the chasis ground, then start looking for voltage drop at the fuse box on through the circuit to the lights, checking before and after all connections. Maby someone can post the diagram for the light circuit also. hope this helps

indianaXJ said:
To check for a bad ground you nead too use the resistance or ohms setting, be shure to disconnect the positive cable from the battery first.
To check for voltage use the volts dc setting with battery hooked up, red lead on the power wire, black to a non painted or rusty surface on the chasis.
I would start with the two fuses shown in the diagram, check before and after the fuses also check at the socket where the combination flasher plugs in. You are looking for the voltage to drop a few volts from what the battery is reading, say 14 volts down to 10 or something like that.
Next check the ground from the CF to a non painted or rusty surface somewhere on the chasis. A low reading say 0-2 ohms is good the higher the number goes the worse the voltage drop will be.( low # good / high # bad ).
If all that is good you will nead to start checking the light circuit(not shown on the diagram) in the same manner. It would probably be better to start by checking from the negative on the individual light sockets too the chasis ground, then start looking for voltage drop at the fuse box on through the circuit to the lights, checking before and after all connections. Maby someone can post the diagram for the light circuit also. hope this helps

Awesome info...thank you. I will give this a shot first thing in the AM

Back