• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another successful 95-96 booster swap, w/ info I haven't seen

OILBURNER

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend I swapped in a booster/mc/proportioning valve from a 95-96 Xj into my Comanche. I had removed the load-sensing valve from the rear during a mild lift to add 31's. I had read several posts & a couple of write-ups on this swap, but found a couple areas that I feel I can add a little information on:

1. Connecting the booster rod to the pedal assembly & getting the factory stoplight switch to work.

To accomplish this, you need some sort of tool that will allow you to grind out the hole in the stock 95-96 booster rod. The goal here is to open up the hole enough to get the metal sleeve through it (the one that has the plastic washers on either end of it that goes through the factory stoplight switch) I used an air-driven die grinder with a carbide bit, but I don't see why a dremel tool with appropriate bit wouldn't work. You only need to open the hole up enough to slip the metal sleeve through such that it will slide easily. Next, you need to grind off the end of the rod to make it flat - use your stock rod for a guide. Try to take as little off as possible, then test fit. You want the stoplight switch to 'just fit' on the rod w/ the metal sleeve installed, but not so tight that the rod pushes on the switch & it makes your brake lights stay on all the time. After you do this, disassemble & take your grinder back out. For the rod to activate the stoplight switch, there needs to be some 'slop' in the hole that the metal sleeve goes through. The goal is to elongate the hole on one side only. Take about 1/8" of material off the inside of the hole, BUT MAKE SURE YOU GRIND IT OFF ON THE SIDE CLOSEST TO THE BOOSTER = AWAY FROM THE FLAT SPOT YOU ADDED. After a couple tries & test-fits. I got this to work perfectly. Be patient & take a little off at a time.

Little more info I haven't seen:
2. Hooking up hard brake lines to 'new' master cylinder.
On the Comanche, there are 6 (yes, SIX) lines going into the factory proportioning valve. You eliminate the secondary (emergency) line that goes to the load-sensing valve you took off. That leaves a single line running to the rear. With a little fiddling, this line will comfortably reach the front of the 'new' proportioning valve. I used a double-flare tool (rental) & used the factory nut that Lawn Cher so conveniently left on the stock prop valve. That leaves the two hard lines that go to the front calipers, and of course the two lines that are already connected between the prop valve & the master cylinder. For the front hard lines, I bought a 3/16" double-flare brass tee, connected those two lines to it, and made up a line using the old hard line from the XJ prop valve - you only need enough to reach approximately 2" past the edge of the front of the booster. I used one of the stock nuts from the secondary rear hard line - it fit right into the 3/16 tee, and you wind up with a system with no extra connections to leak.
The stock brake 'idiot light' sensor will work, but you have to pull some of your connector line out of the wire loom to have enough length to reach the switch - I ran mine on the passenger side of the booster & under the m.c.

3. One last note: I got my factory washer reservoir to fit (barely!) by pulling some of the electrical pigtail out of the wire harness, as well as pulling several inches of the rubber washer fluid line out as well. Be careful pulling them out, as you will have to deal with the factory 'electrical rubber tape'. There is Just enough room to fit the reservoir in between the m.c. and the back of the air filter box, kinda back in it's stock location but about 1/2" farther forward. Hook up the electrical plug & the fluid hose before you mount the res. in place by drilling a couple new holes (3/32 I think) up on the fender to hold it in place.

Now my '90 Comanche stops every bit as good as my '99 XJ! :clap:
I HIGHLY recomend this swap if you have a few tools and a little patience. It is well worth the effort.

Thanks again to everyone who did the various write-ups I found researching this project, also thanks to Lawn Cher on this board for the parts - good fella to do business with. :patriot:

I am planning on doing the same to my 88 XJ. Already have the Booster and M/C. Do I need the proportioning valve or can I use my old one? Do you have any pics of the mod to the booster rod.

opracer315 said:
I am planning on doing the same to my 88 XJ. Already have the Booster and M/C. Do I need the proportioning valve or can I use my old one? Do you have any pics of the mod to the booster rod.

I do not think the proportioning valves are any different, but the valve on my booster/mc/valve combo was mounted on a nifty little bracket that tucked the valve up close to the mc instead of mounting it on the fender. Probably personal preference on that one, but I really like it.
I did not take any pics of the rod modification, but I gots a cad system handy & will draw a couple pictures for you to illustrate what I mean - just email me at [email protected] & I will send them to anyone who is interested.

search here, but i think you can upgrade your prop valve by swapping internals with one from a GC.
great writeup, im doing the swap soon, just need a flare tool now.

streetpirate said:
search here, but i think you can upgrade your prop valve by swapping internals with one from a GC.
great writeup, im doing the swap soon, just need a flare tool now.

To clarify, the proportioning valves are not any different for rear drum-to-rear drum equipped vehicles.
If you are swapping to rear discs from drums, yes the prop valves are different.

I wound up putting in the brake and clutch pedals and brake light switch from the donor '95 into my '88 to make the actuator rod work best. Cus I couldn't figure out how to make it work like you did. Now that I read it, I cant beleive I didn't think of that. But its working great the way it is.
Thanks for posting on this, It has been one of the unclear explainations of this mod. I have seen two others besides mine done and each one was solved diferently when it came to the brake light and actuator. Your way seems to be one of the most straightforward.

I did this mod in my 90 a couple years ago using the stock prop valve. IIRC there is a slight difference between valves, but it's just in the size of the fittings, not the valve itself. It is more a matter of what lines you would rather adapt to fit.

What did you do with the second line to the rear? Did you just cap it at the T in the back. Did you keep the prop valve above the axle? I've got an MJ with rear disks that I'm contemplating doing the 95/96 booster swap on.

Good instructions. As I've stated before. When I put a M/C and booster out of a 99 into my 89. I spent more time trying to get the brake light adjusted correctly than the other part. I took off too much metal and ended up having to use J.B. Weld to add metal and use a file to get it back to where it worked. Been approximately a year now and brakes still work great. Glad to get rid of the ABS.

lawsoncl said:
What did you do with the second line to the rear? Did you just cap it at the T in the back. Did you keep the prop valve above the axle? I've got an MJ with rear disks that I'm contemplating doing the 95/96 booster swap on.

I highly recomend the booster/mc swap for you. If you are pulling the parts yourself, pulling the brake pedal & stoplight switch from the donar XJ will save you some work. As far as I know, the inner workings of the proportioning valves are different between the disc/drum versus disc/disc factory setups. SO if it were me in your situation, I would get a prop. valve from a Grand or Wrangler that came with factory rear discs & plumb it into the 95/96 master cyl. I have read where some simply switched the 'guts' of the prop. valve but am not sure about that...

Oh - as far as that second line to the rear, for temporary use I would leave it the way it is until you do your booster swap, then eliminate the auxiliary line as well as the overload valve thing at the rear axle. You want to Keep the line that goes into the very front of the factory MJ proportioning valve. :)

HTH -

What about the aluminum firewall spacer. Is that a 97+ only part?

Lucas said:
What about the aluminum firewall spacer. Is that a 97+ only part?

My 95/96 setup had the spacer & I used it on my '90 model.
Didn't occur to me to see if it was absolutely neccessary, though.

I am planning on doing the identical swap ie: a 1995 booster into a 1990 comanche. My problem is that the doner vehicle does not have the 1/4 spacer behind the booster. Whenyou did your swap did you need the spacer??

I bought the booster from a 95 XJ on wed., but there was NO plate, the booster was mounted directly on the firewall and the door sticker said that it WAS a '95 model. Any ideas on the plate thing?

That is what I am trying to fiqure out . After hours of searching on this forum and other places , 95 and 96 XJ's are supposed to have this 1/4 inch spacer. My junkyard dog has now taken apart three 95 XJ's and one 96 XJ and not found any spacer between the booster and the firewall.

I have not done the swap yet but I do have the parts. If I remember right, there is a white foam gasket that goes between the fire wall and booster. The spacer is on the booster side of the gasket.

opracer315 said:
I have not done the swap yet but I do have the parts. If I remember right, there is a white foam gasket that goes between the fire wall and booster. The spacer is on the booster side of the gasket.

Correct. That is what I discovered when I did my swap last week. Probably the single biggest improvement to the Jeep for the $ spent. It felt good having confidence in my brakes for a change, especially doing Crozet.

Just went and looked at the booster again. Sure enough, between the booster and the white foam gasket there was.... wait for it.... an aluminum spacer. ( and to think all this took was the time to walk to the shop and actually use my eyes for something other dust magnets). Boy, do I feel dumb.

Back