• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Long Arm ?

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about selling my 02 TJ with 7" of lift and 36's to fund my long arm project. What I am trying to figure out is how much to budget for. Can those that have done this give me their own analysis on how much has been invested? I know the 8" lifts are around $2000 and around $500 for the SYE/driveshaft and another $1000 for tires. Also who is making the most complete kit? I really like the rock krawler kit. I have to have a solid presentation for the wife to buy off on. She is pretty understanding but I have to sell her on this. I currently have 5" of lift and 33's but I want it bigger than the TJ.

Thanks
DuG

Well i'm not an expert on Long Arms, but I will throw in what I know! Full Traction, RK, and Rusty's are the only brands(did I miss any?) with a true long arm kit that comes with everything! I was planning on getting the FT kit before i got a deal on a Rusty's short arm! The FT kit is a 6in kit, but probably sits higher! Rusty has an 8in kit! I'm not sure what RK sells, i'm still not sure if i would ever run their stuff, their under new managment and I still haven't heard how they are doing!! RE has been advertising their LA kit for almost a year, but they havn't started shipping it yet, I guess they are still testing it or something! But I would think it would be a quality product, time will tell!

Its still early so i may have forgot something, so dont flame me too bad!

Aaron

I have the RK Long arm kit. My whole lift isnt RK, but the vast majority of it is:

Track Bar/Bracket
Long Arms
Coils
Shocks

I am very pleased at this point with the kit, althought I wasnt a fan of the mounting of the upper control arm/torque arm. It was just time consuming to drill the holes, and we made a mistake. But it wasnt bad, and I'd defently suggest the kit to anyone. Im running at 8" and 36s and its great, I dont have any DW or any problems. The whole lift, including the rear, took just under 12 hours with 3 teenage guys.

Full Traction's LA kit is the only one on the market that does not use radius arms, and their stuff is well thought out, well designed, and doesn't hit the market until it's tested and proven. FT kit's are used on Jeepspeed racers, the design and quality must be there. IF I was thinking about getting a bolt on LA kit, I wouldn't consider anything else........my opinion.

family XJ said:
I know the 8" lifts are around $2000 and around $500 for the SYE/driveshaft and another $1000 for tires. Also who is making the most complete kit? I really like the rock krawler kit. I have to have a solid presentation for the wife to buy off on. She is pretty understanding but I have to sell her on this. I currently have 5" of lift and 33's but I want it bigger than the TJ.Thanks DuG
Why not consider a conversion,it would be cheaper and probably better balanced.Example:Rusty's LA,RE 7.5" coils and maybe Big Offroad leaves!

RCP Phx said:
Why not consider a conversion,it would be cheaper and probably better balanced.Example:Rusty's LA,RE 7.5" coils and maybe Big Offroad leaves!

?????

BOR leaves are very good quality, but they're way too stiff to be called balanced. Most people looking for balance want more flex in the back, not less. Those of us who have been doing this awhile can mix and match parts to get what we want, or build it ourselves, but for someone who is starting to lift their rig they will likely get more balance and performance by sticking to a good kit.

Again, my opinion. :)

I have considered piecing it together but that starts to cost more for shipping. Remember I have to talk to the bank manager(the wife) on this and make it look good. I can get the RK at cost and I know they are extremely stout. I am just looking for insight as to what you have spent to get to where you are with the long arms. Thanks again DuG

RK stout? I've heard it called a lot of things, but never stout.

I've never heard of an RE or an FT kit coming apart on the highway, only an RK.

:D

Who's came apart and what was the cause of it? I am looking for all the input I can get. The wife told me just to sell the TJ and build my XJ so this is going to happen. I appreciate all the input......DuG

claytons long arm kit is super heavy duty, there installing it now and im picking it up mid afternoon. i held the rock krawler control arm ends and they are half the size of clayton's kit which realy impressed me on how sturdy there kit it

Adam Duncan said:
I have the RK Long arm kit. My whole lift isnt RK, but the vast majority of it is:

Track Bar/Bracket
Long Arms
Coils
Shocks

I am very pleased at this point with the kit, althought I wasnt a fan of the mounting of the upper control arm/torque arm. It was just time consuming to drill the holes, and we made a mistake. But it wasnt bad, and I'd defently suggest the kit to anyone. Im running at 8" and 36s and its great, I dont have any DW or any problems. The whole lift, including the rear, took just under 12 hours with 3 teenage guys.

Adam...dont you work for Clayton???? I know that Clayton uses RK springs..... If you are who I think you are, I met you @ EJS when Jeremy introduced me to you.... ????

Joe

vodomagoo said:
claytons long arm kit is super heavy duty, there installing it now and im picking it up mid afternoon. i held the rock krawler control arm ends and they are half the size of clayton's kit which realy impressed me on how sturdy there kit it

LOL....Its not the pen...its the penmanship.....I laugh everytime I hear this....Why not just use skyjackers stuff...they by far have the biggest rod ends....:rolleyes:

Joe

vodomagoo said:

Also Claytons stuff is made from square stock...I do believe he is the only one in the industry to use it also....Strength is not in square stock....

Joe

Goatman said:
RK stout? I've heard it called a lot of things, but never stout.

I've never heard of an RE or an FT kit coming apart on the highway, only an RK.

:D

Hmmm.. Mine was pretty STOUT on BOTW this year.....:)

Joe

its most definately strong due to the fact that no one has ever broken one, ive saw a rk rod end distroyed, and i picked the jeep up today and must say the quality is great

FlexyJOE said:
Hmmm.. Mine was pretty STOUT on BOTW this year.....:)

Joe

Yeah, but you only ran two days. You saved all your vacation for those incredibly hard Moab trails. :D

Besides, you have to say nice things about RK. ;)

:)

Silly longarms, heims are for steering.

-jb

vodomagoo said:
its most definately strong due to the fact that no one has ever broken one, ive saw a rk rod end distroyed, and i picked the jeep up today and must say the quality is great

You saw a RK joint from 3 years ago destroyed... I have seen ALL of the joints destroyed at one point or another, so why zero in on RK?? Everything will break, and thats always what comes up about RK.."their heims are junk".. well ok, 3 YEARS AGO THEY WERE. Come up with something else other than heim strength...:rolleyes: Take a look at mine...I have had the same joints for almost 2 years now....no breaks or any other problems.....

Joe

Goatman said:
Yeah, but you only ran two days. You saved all your vacation for those incredibly hard Moab trails. :D

Besides, you have to say nice things about RK. ;)

:)

I will be running ALL of BOTW this year......Now that I have a real employer.....:) And I bet I have the same heim joints too......:)

Joe

Back